Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sounds like a day well spent :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Saab Ed wrote: »
    dgt, is that it! This is limp stuff by your standards. I'm not impressed at all. Fully expected to see a bore of a ships engine that you can walk into stripped to bits on your kitchen table. C'mon man, up the game. :-D

In the words of Robert De Niro "All good things come to those who wait" (as he sat in a 406 :pac:)

I did plan to crack out the welder and make some adapters, alas I nearly lost the will to live trying to find the manifold. I can't find it :(

So the last pic of the turbo is of it properly clocked for the XUD, some adjustment needed with the wastegate but I'm happy with it for now :)
    Image620.jpg

So I moved onto plan b: boost gauge is now plumbed up :)

I butchered a broken turbo for it's sampler and modified another cooler pipe I had lying about to accept it
    Image618.jpg

As it was pitch dark, no pics of wiring up the wires but it's straight foreward enough....
    Image619.jpg

Does it work?

Yes it does :cool:

I have no idea what on earth that noise is at the end, I think it's my pump slowly killing it's timing advance mechanism..... Meh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

BDJW wrote: »
    Spent 8 hours on the car today :eek:

- Washed
    - Clayed
    - Polished
    - Waxed
    - Tyres dressed
    - Black plastics dressed
    - Fixed a loose wind deflector
    - Fitted fog light protectors
    - Checked oil
    - Put air in the tyres
    - Topped up wiper fluid
    - Hoovered the interior
    - Polished interior plastics
    - Shampooed the front 2 mats
    - Oh and filled up with petrol :P

Worth it when you get in and the car actually feels more responsive and tighter :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I put a dash into mine, it hadn't got one and the clocks were mounted on the roll bar. I also mounted my Tunerview II screen in the middle of the dash, it's also a datalogger which is handy and I stuck the condenser kit to the dash too. I also mounted my ecu on the floor and cleaned up the perspex top on it, I love being able to see the board and it has lights that flash :P

Going onto the dyno tomorrow so it was all go today getting it ready, lets hope all goes well

947101_10151446615412825_1200036192_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

ha ha .. thats some lough .... not mine car but work mates car.
    havent seen him for long time ... , but today met him, he got old ish diesel citroen berlingo van. i asked how he find it, he said , it is very good, no problems, very good mpg ,when i asked about mileage, he said, he cant tell, as service warning on all time, but it was serviced, and his mechanic couldnt reset, but no bothers.
    it was strange to me , that some mechanics cant look on youtube , how to reset service light, ... as i had one citroen for service couple weeks ago, i found it, and did, so i said him, just before ignition on, press dash button, keep press, while switch on ignition, then dash will count from 10 to 0 , and the switch off ignition, release button. he did , and was very surprised, :D:D:D , he found out also, that mileage is way lower than he thought. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

BDJW wrote: »
    Spent 8 hours on the car today :eek:

- Washed
    - Clayed
    - Polished
    - Waxed
    - Tyres dressed
    - Black plastics dressed
    - Fixed a loose wind deflector
    - Fitted fog light protectors
    - Checked oil
    - Put air in the tyres
    - Topped up wiper fluid
    - Hoovered the interior
    - Polished interior plastics
    - Shampooed the front 2 mats
    - Oh and filled up with petrol :P

And....not one pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

And....not one pic

It was dark by the time I finished! I even went to Cars and Coffee this morning and didn't take a pic of it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Here's my progress on the 5-door to 3-door Punto conversion. Door handle was removed and mostly filled in the last few days, today I completely filled it, sanded it and painted one of the doors. The whole car will be painted matte black.

Oa40Mc0l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

Will losing two doors effect the nct?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Here's my progress on the 5-door to 3-door Punto conversion. Door handle was removed and mostly filled in the last few days, today I completely filled it, sanded it and painted one of the doors. The whole car will be painted matte black.

would not NCT give out about loss of two doors ? or you converting it in to a van ? or you just messing ?

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will not affect NCT. Modifying cars should be allowed IMO. I'd say you could inform the tax office or something and get them to change the details about the car, and then it should have no problems passing the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Hopefully it will not affect NCT. Modifying cars should be allowed IMO. I'd say you could inform the tax office or something and get them to change the details about the car, and then it should have no problems passing the NCT.

Could be more complex, do remember your modifying the car outside the manufacturers safety standards. Regardless if its minor or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

Sounds like you have thought of this already. Best of luck with it. Look forward to seeing final product

tbh , cant see it happen, as it is really interacting with cars body structure, and i think it wont be as normal car, if you want coupe, there is plenty of them 3 door versions, at the end way cheaper and less hassle, then the road you goin. .. me thinks. , and use this one as small shed :pac:

The doors will still be there, I'm just getting rid of the door handles that are on the outside.

Here's a 'before' pic.
    Gh61qt0l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

Brought my Hyundai coupe 98 to the NCT, passed with ease, but failed on just visual ( drivers side window)so i finally changed the window regulator, brought it in friday morning and got the nct cert, nothing better :) , cars NCT is valid until July 2014, this is my first car, bought it cheap with 5 months NCT left, i might be lucky considering it flew past the nct

The doors will still be there, I'm just getting rid of the door handles that are on the outside.
    [img][/img]

Yeah but the manufacturer put seats for 5 there. With 4/5 doors to access those 5 seats :)

Even if you remove the rear seats, its still a 5 door model with 5 seats, unless you get that somehow changed they will fail you for missing seats and seat belts.

Open to correction though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

unless you get that somehow changed they will fail you for missing seats and seat belts.

Open to correction though

Ill correct you so :)

You don't need rear seats to be fitted to pass the nct..

Cheensbo wrote: »

Fair enough, was told before that it did.

Today i chopped up a Mk3 Golf splitter and fitted it to my Mk2 Polo.

Also in the last few months i have lowered it 80/60, got some Mk2 Golf GTI steels, refurbed them and fitted some 155/55/r14 nangkang tyres with a slight stretch, got a bonnet bra, classic pressed plates and painted the bumpers and spolier with some satin black paint. got some yellow lens tint too :) great little car.

2cxx1u8.jpg

Did I pass you on the main road outside rathkeale in limerick about half an hour ago?

• Advertisement

and what you think about door handles ?

how tester will access car rear to test a seat belts ?

i think op will be fine, if declare that car as a van . no rear seats, no rear belts, and rear door windows blanked/painted , not sure what is correct way to do them though.

Mar4ix wrote: »
    and what you think about door handles ?

how tester will access car rear to test a seat belts ?

i think op will be fine, if declare that car as a van . no rear seats, no rear belts, and rear door windows blanked/painted , not sure what is correct way to do them though.

As far as i can figure out, all the lad is doing is removing the rear door handles..

I dont think he's welding them shut or anything.. I dont know if it needs external door handles on the rear for the test, but,

Cars can pass without rear seats & belts, i.e. if they are not there, they cannot be tested.

As far as i can figure out, all the lad is doing is removing the rear door handles..

I dont think he's welding them shut or anything.. I dont know if it needs external door handles on the rear for the test, but,

Cars can pass without rear seats & belts, i.e. if they are not there, they cannot be tested.

Nice tip , so if one of my rear seatbelts not working right, i just remove, to avoid nct fail ? would that apply to any seatbelt in car ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Only if the log book is changed so it corresponds with the max people the vehicle can carry. If the log book says it can carry 5 people, and Theres no rear seats it'll fail.

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Nice tip , so if one of my rear seatbelts not working right, i just remove, to avoid nct fail ? would that apply to any seatbelt in car ?

Yea, remove them all sure.
    Only if the log book is changed so it corresponds with the max people the vehicle can carry. If the log book says it can carry 5 people, and Theres no rear seats it'll fail.

It won't, i'm sure 'nct tester' can clarify it if he comes along, but it will pass without them.

But if the seats are present, and the belts are not, it will fail (providing the car wasn't originally sold without them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I put a new stereo into my 02 Toyota Yaris. Down to €80 from €160 and the adapter was also 50% off at a tenner.

MVH-350BT.jpg

Does everything I want (MP3, Bluetooth for phone) but my Xperia Ray doesn't have feckin' speed dial (€300 phone and no speed dial :rolleyes:) so I'd still have to pull in to make a call if I needed to.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I put a new stereo into my 02 Toyota Yaris. Down to €80 from €160 and the adapter was also 50% off at a tenner.

MVH-350BT.jpg

Does everything I want (MP3, Bluetooth for phone) but my Xperia Ray doesn't have feckin' speed dial (€300 phone and no speed dial :rolleyes:) so I'd still have to pull in to make a call if I needed to.

There's an app for that :)

There's an app for that :)

Mind PM'ing me which one? I downloaded an app but nothing showed up on the stereo.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Mind PM'ing me which one? I downloaded an app but nothing showed up on the stereo.

Nothing will show up on the stereo :) I doubt the steoreo is meant to actually sent a call command. Its the other way around. Generally your car can trigger the voice activation by pressing the call button and holding it, or double tapping it.

At least every hands-free kit I ever tried has done that anyway. Xperia Ray doesnt have proper voice commands from Sony but you should be able to install Google Voice Search once triggered you should be able to call out the contact name without looking at your phone :P

Looking at speed dial apps, you could probably just search them on the marketplace and see what suits you the most. Set the screen to stay always on when driving and get yourself a good windscreen phone holder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

dgt wrote: »

Does it work?

Yes it does :cool:

I have no idea what on earth that noise is at the end, I think it's my pump slowly killing it's timing advance mechanism..... Meh :pac:

I think it's this :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Today, well actually other weekend
    Replaced the two front shocks on my daily run around...
    Fcuk me one of them was a nightmare, the top threads were knackered and couldnt get the retaining nut off to remove the spring, ended up having to get the angle grinder out to cut the shock plate off to drop the spring off the bottom... The second one i left to next day, 45mins and tools and all were away.

Nothing will show up on the stereo :) I doubt the steoreo is meant to actually sent a call command. Its the other way around. Generally your car can trigger the voice activation by pressing the call button and holding it, or double tapping it.

At least every hands-free kit I ever tried has done that anyway. Xperia Ray doesnt have proper voice commands from Sony but you should be able to install Google Voice Search once triggered you should be able to call out the contact name without looking at your phone :P

Looking at speed dial apps, you could probably just search them on the marketplace and see what suits you the most. Set the screen to stay always on when driving and get yourself a good windscreen phone holder.

It's not a voice command though. It's the buttons for the radio stations that correspond with the speed dials so I can press number one and it should ring Dad and two should ring Mam etc...
    That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hoover & wash today, removal of ''punto'' sign on the back right of car, got yellow JDM style bulbs in too.

Went to red power on the Long Mile Rd yesterday for an induction kit but the air inlet is too small for the kit, not even any air filters would fit on it!! Getting a custom one during the week, couple of rubber bits for tube to slot in so hopefully ill have a nice humm by the weekend and can concentrate on whacking on the 17's and finding a nice exhaust backbox :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

rizzee wrote: »
    Hoover & wash today, removal of ''punto'' sign on the back right of car, got yellow JDM style bulbs in too.

Went to red power on the Long Mile Rd yesterday for an induction kit but the air inlet is too small for the kit, not even any air filters would fit on it!! Getting a custom one during the week, couple of rubber bits for tube to slot in so hopefully ill have a nice humm by the weekend and can concentrate on whacking on the 17's and finding a nice exhaust backbox :)

Where did you get the bulbs if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Had a busy day yesterday, did the following jobs:

- Valve cover gasket
    - Spark Plugs
    - Interim oil & filter change
    - Map Thermostat
    - Coolant flush

null_zps9bf1a9a9.jpg

Valve Cover Gasket
    The Valve Cover gasket is probably the toughest job I've taken on, ever. I did the one in the e39 525i & that was a breeze in comparison. I was paranoid about the aluminium bolts (& the head). Between toque values & torque angles, Torx heads it was nerve wracking.
    I used a combination of the BMW TIS guides & the DIY over on 5 Series.net:

http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-yourself-14/n52-e60-valve-cover-gasked-diy-pictures-115130/

So I won't repeat the whole process, suffice to say it was a fiddly job. The reason I did it was because there was a smell of burning oil after longer spins, it immediately reminded me of the e39 when the same thing happened. The rocker cover gaskets on the BMs have a habit of failing & allowing oil to drip on to the manifold, causing the smell. You have to replace all the bolts on the valve cover as they are single use aluminium bolts. It is impossible to re-torque them correctly after removing them. You also need to replacing the bolts & gasket on the variable valve timing servo motor too.
    There was a lot of pre-stripping required to get to the stage where you can remove the valve cover, all the microfilter (cabin filter) & strut brace assembly has to come out.
    Here's some "in progress" shots:

With the fancy plastic cover off (you have to remove the strut brace & all the microfilter housings before you get to this stage. A bit of work in it:
    null_zpsd9451e80.jpg

This one is the servo motor for the variable valve timing, you have to unwind this fella out in order to take it out:
    null_zpse34916e6.jpg

The 20 bolts all undone, much frustration & jiggling of cables I finally got the rocker cover off:
    null_zps2c402097.jpg

The new gasket in place, the red thing!
    null_zpsef1ac221.jpg

Rocker cover back in place:
    null_zpsfdb87133.jpg

After the plastic cover went on, but no microfilter housing or strut in place:
    null_zpse9c53554.jpg

null_zps35a46654.jpg

Everything back in place:
    null_zpsd3072dd9.jpg

Here's one showing where I first spotted the oil weep, it's all clean now:

null_zps63a4bcd1.jpg

I changed the plugs while the rocker cover was off. I used NGK plugs, they were €100. They are meant to be 60k mile/100k km items but I'm not so sure, two of the plugs didn't look so healthy on the porcelain. I also decided to change the oil & filter too, it was almost up to half way through the suggested BMW oil change interval. The crazy long interval that is (15k miles/25k kms), regardless of brand I would recommend a max interval of 7.5k miles if you intend keeping your car for the long term.

Thermostat

So on to the thermostat. The N52 engine has an external "map" thermostat, it is mounted underneath the car on to the external water pump, the water pump is an electric item. I decided to change the thermostat because I was getting the error code 2EF5, this fault apparently appears on most N52 engined cars, BMW dealers normally ignore them as there maybe be a faulty wiring harness behind the issue so they stay well away. It is related to the emissions somehow. I didn't get the full story, there's a sensor built in to the thermostat that routes warer to the cylinder head which somehow improves emissions. I was told that 9 times out of 10 a new thermostat will resolve the issue. I have also read that it is an early warning sign of an impending stat failure. Anyway, a good time to change it.
    It is pretty easy to access, remove the splash guard underneath, 4 pipes in total, two with jubilee clips, two with the BMW spring lock clip. You need to drain the coolant first by opening the bleed screw on the radiator.
    Here's a shot of the thermostat in situ:

null_zps755a1f53.jpg

null_zpseedc66c3.jpg

Here's the old & new one:

null_zpsb984ad24.jpg

Then I did a bit of a test drive while keeping an eye on the inlet & outlet coolant temperatures as well as oil temperature:

null_zps4efe2a0e.jpg

In total I would say I had to undo at least one hundred bolts, lots of clips & connectors, so lots of patience required, especially for the torquing up bit.
    Next job......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

^^ Do you have an idea how the coolant and oil temp varies, i.e does it go up to 100 degrees, then decreases to what value?

Where did you get the bulbs if you don't mind me asking?

Hi, I got them in Red Power on the Long Mile Road! I see you're in Meath, if you're close to Kells you can get them in MCG!

rocky wrote: »
    ^^ Do you have an idea how the coolant and oil temp varies, i.e does it go up to 100 degrees, then decreases to what value?

It varies a lot! It depends on whether the car is moving or stationary, if the car has been driven hard, if the car has been driven for a while then stationary immediately afterwards. With the software you can see the oil tep, coolant temp going in to the radiator & out of the radiator. The oil temp is around 100 - 110 degrees Celcius when the car is up to full temperature, this car has an oil temperature gauge in the dash but no coolant temp (you can bring one up in the hidden menus though). The coolant temperature on the way in to the radiator goes between 68-99 degrees Celcius from what I could see, & then between 26-70 on the outlet side. As I said it varied depending on the status of the car. The minimum gap betwen the inlet & outlet temperatures I saw was about 10 degrees celcius (in this & my other car).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've got the oil temp on mine. Does it take a while for yours to reach full operating temp??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Thanks rebel, I'm only asking as I see coolant temps in the hidden menu (slowly) rise up to 102 degrees then go down to 75 degrees, slowly rising again. And someone on the bmw forum mentioned I should look at the thermostats, but I think this is normal behavior and also there's no errors in INPA.

I would have preferred the engine temp gauge in the dash instead of the instant mpg, I think the US cars have it as a default? Although it would probably be rock solid at 90 degrees and all this watching coolant in hidden menus is a bit of hypocardriac self-diagnosing when everything works fine :)

• Advertisement

I've got the oil temp on mine. Does it take a while for yours to reach full operating temp??

Yes, it could take a good 25 minutes or more to get up to temperature.

Hi, I got them in Red Power on the Long Mile Road! I see you're in Meath, if you're close to Kells you can get them in MCG!

Saves me the bother of flying to Manila to get a set....! :pac:

Cleaned a bit of tar from my Xsara.

Changed the badges on front and back to the red ones instead of blue.... got my 17' sporting alloys on and a wash:D All in a ll a good productive day so far... Just waiting on my new phone during the week to take some pictures :)

Changed the badges on front and back to the red ones instead of blue.... got my 17' sporting alloys on and a wash:D All in a ll a good productive day so far... Just waiting on my new phone during the week to take some pictures :)

I gotta see pics of this! Around the Navan area?

Dunshaughlin mate! You?

Dunshaughlin mate! You?

I drive through there every day! :pac:

Nah, I'm the far side of Naaaavan :p

What you driving yourself? I've to head to Nobbbbbbbber later :p Ah sure keep a look out and give me a beep if you see me...i'll be wonderin who the feck it is but sure you can tell me :D

What you driving yourself? I've to head to Nobbbbbbbber later :p Ah sure keep a look out and give me a beep if you see me...i'll be wonderin who the feck it is but sure you can tell me :D

You'll be passing near the homeland so :pac: doubtful I'll be on the main road though! :(

I'm in a red 406 (should be pics of it in this thread somewhere.... :pac:) , I used to have a Sporting myself back in the day, on 17s and eibach pro streets :)

dgt wrote: »
    You'll be passing near the homeland so :pac: doubtful I'll be on the main road though! :(

I'm in a red 406 (should be pics of it in this thread somewhere.... :pac:) , I used to have a Sporting myself back in the day, on 17s and eibach pro streets :)

Nice, i'll take a nose :D

Sporting GP or mk2?? Sounds sweet! Bit of kerbing on these alloys needs a good refurb... also have a set of gloss white ones that I bought on here but I think i'll just sell them on and stick to these... get some coilovers and ill be flying :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement