Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervical Cancer Vaccine for every woman for only 300 euros.

Options
  • 27-02-2009 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

I was told something really stunning yesterday.

There is a medical clinic in Dublin city center who think that the Cervical Cancer Vaccine is so important that every woman should have it that they are
    offering the course of the 3 injection at cost.

Meaning they are refusing to make any profit on it and are not adding stipulations about a woman having to be a virgin to receive it.

So the vaccine will then cost 300 euros rather then the 600 which is being charged by other providers.

http://www.chartermedical.ie/cervical-cancer-vaccinations
    Cervical Cancer Vaccinations

Charter Medical Group
    is an approved
    Cervical Cancer Vaccination Centre.

Phone (01) 6579000 to arrange your appointment.

Charter Medical Group Health & Wellness Department is now offering Cervical Cancer Vaccination on a not for profit basis.

Charter considers this vaccine to be one of the most important vaccines developed recently and we believe it should be available to the widest population of young women. With this in mind Charter Medical Group will be providing this critical vaccine on a “not for profit” basis with a full course of Cervarix®, consisting of three injections administered for €300.

Charter’s offer is available to girls over ten years of age. Our Clinical staff will happily answer any queries when booking your appointment. Cervarix® vaccination requires three consecutive injections over a six month period.

Finally people who know how important this is stepping forward.
    A vaccine against cancer which saves lives should be put in the reach
    as much as possible for every woman.

Please pass this info on to women that you know and let them know about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thats brilliant. Thaedydal, thanks so much for posting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I echo that sentiment. I've e-mailed them asking if I can have it even though I'm a creaky old woman of 27.

Will let ye know what the response is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you are sexually active, chances are you will already have the HPV virus which causes cervical cancer.

I don't see any point in having this vaccine if you're not a virgin..!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Thanks a million, I'm saving for it at the moment, and this makes a huge difference!

I think it's really important even if you are sexually active, as there are lots of strains of HPV, so even if you have contracted one strain, the vaccine will protect you from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If we get this to be post of the day, more people will see it.

So while thanks whoring is not allowed, we should all thank it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

eth0_ wrote: »
    If you are sexually active, chances are you will already have the HPV virus which causes cervical cancer.

I don't see any point in having this vaccine if you're not a virgin..!

The drs at the clinic disagree otherwise they would not be offering it.
    You can be 40 and have had several partners and not have caught the type
    which can cause cervical cancer or you can be 16 and been unlucky enough
    to have 1 partner who has given you that type.

http://www.tellher.ie/default.aspx?pid=25&sid=5
    About 40 types of human papillomaviruses affect the genital area. Four of these are responsible for a large proportion of common genital diseases:

* “High-risk” types (such as human papillomavirus Types 16 and 18) can cause cervical cancer or abnormal cells in the lining of the cervix that can sometimes turn into cancer.
    * “Low-risk” types (such as human papillomavirus Types 6 and 11) can cause genital warts and benign (abnormal, but not cancerous) changes in the cervix.

A person may have one of the types of the virius but not the ones which can cause cervical cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Thanks again Thaedydal, girlfriend will be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

Thanks so much! I'm making an appointment tomorrow.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thanks very much for posting this, my mum is looking into getting this for my 16 year old sister so a reduction in the price is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Thank you so much, I didn't even know it was beneficial if you were already sexually active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I was told by my dr I had to register first and then make the appointment.
    No, you definitely dont need to register.
    Also with regard to Cervical Cancer vaccine being promoted on your thread the vaccine being used is the Cevarix vaccine. this is the cheaper vaccine and appears to be the most seriously discounted. Many health professionals have a preference for the Gardasil vaccine. I checked with many doctors and have decided to have my daughter vaccinated with Gardasil which I am told has efficacy over a wider range of viruses. When i asked my GP he said that he had given his own daughter the gardasil and that he was not aware of any of his colleagues who were going to give the cheaper vaccine on medical grounds. However he said he was able to access the Cevarix vaccine for patients who wanted the cheaper option.
    There has been the same dicsussion in UK and New Zealand. Apparently there is a suggestion that cevarix had been chosen by HSE provisionally so was earmarked for Ireland and now it is being "sold off". this may be an urban legend.The important thing is that people make an informed choice as what is the best option for the girls.

They are two difference vaccines, one is against the strains of hpv which causes the cells of the cerive to turn abnormal and then cancerous the other does that an protects
    against the strains which cause visible gential warts.

It is great to hear that you took the time to ressearch this on your own,
    esp as you are making choices for your daughter. The better informed we are the
    better choices we can make.

Cost is a factor in this for a lot of women and having a lower cost option means
    hopefully more women will get the vaccine and we will have less women
    having to have the end of thier cervix targeted by laser treatment, having to be treated
    for cancer and less women dying. All of which I consider to be good things.

I have not heard that urban rumour and am happy to take the clinic at thier word
    that they are doing this at cost price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 anne h.

This vaccine is mired in controversy.

In short, this is some of the things I've come across about the HPV vaccine:

Diane M. Harper, who conducted most of the research leading to the HPV vaccine :

* Vaccine may cause cervical cancer rates to go UP

* No tests of vaccine's effectiveness for the under 15’s

*Vaccine a Pro-Merck "Public Health Experiment"

public interest group, Judicial Watch:

*Over 1,600 adverse reactions to HPV vaccine reported in 2007

*371 reactions serious, including 3 deaths.

*Of 42 pregnant females vaccinated; 18 spontaneous abortion & fetal abnormalities.

So all in all, please do some more research, even some standard googling of 'dangers of hpv vaccine', before you subject you're child to it, it doesn't appear to be all it's cracked up to be.

anne h.

Can you please link to where you got those quotes from and which vaccine are they about ?

Yes women need to make up thier own minds on this,
    the ammount of research I did on the I.U.S. before I got my first one
    had my gp stunned when I was able to quote papers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

I got it a year and a half ago, get it, its worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Is it just a once off normal injection in the arm or does it require boosters? Do you have to be monitored for a while after getting it or can you just get it and go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

good question there, it says three shots, so i assume they're done at different times? and while im not able to get it for, hopefully a few more years, i have passed this info onto my mam, to hopefully get my younger sister in for it, much as she'll hate me for it :o

excellent thread thaed, thanks for posting, and fair play to the clinic. :)

I was asked to put up the code for the link in my sig so that others can use it.

[noparse]CCV.gif[/noparse]

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

err...you do know they also recommend the males get this too - dont you all ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fletch123 wrote: »
    Is it just a once off normal injection in the arm or does it require boosters? Do you have to be monitored for a while after getting it or can you just get it and go?

IT's three shots over a six month period afaik

Makes sense that they should

• Advertisement

I don't know if t was tested on blokes and current the clinic is only offering
    it to women. If you want to ask them if they would considering offering it to
    guy then great, I'd be very interested in what the answer is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone knew if you could get it under GMS?

candy19 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering if anyone knew if you could get it under GMS?
    No , the vaccine is not available on the GMS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Is there any point in getting this if you've already mildly abnormal changes?

IzzyWizzy wrote: »

I can only suggest you ring them IzzyWizzy, there is no way I can answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Just to note

Creently on the avaiva healthcare webiste they offer €240 back on a €600 treatment.
    However having rang them this morning, they cannot quote how much if any they will discount this treatment as they are in " discussions" with the clinic.

Now personally the money thing is irreleavnt per say, as I will pay either way, but I would have thought that the discount from Aviva would have been pro rata I.E €600 less €240 rebate on full price therefore €300 less €120 rebate on the new price.

So for all out there that have private medical insurance, contact your provider to see if they can help financially, and to what degree they are going to do this. The more people to contact them the more chance people have with assisted payment.
    I would hate to think that the insurance companies wont pass on their payments pro rata to their customers.

Chef

chef wrote: »
    Just to note

Creently on the avaiva healthcare webiste they offer €240 back on a €600 treatment.
    However having rang them this morning, they cannot quote how much if any they will discount this treatment as they are in " discussions" with the clinic.

Now personally the money thing is irreleavnt per say, as I will pay either way, but I would have thought that the discount from Aviva would have been pro rata I.E €600 less €240 rebate on full price therefore €300 less €120 rebate on the new price.

So for all out there that have private medical insurance, contact your provider to see if they can help financially, and to what degree they are going to do this. The more people to contact them the more chance people have with assisted payment.
    I would hate to think that the insurance companies wont pass on their payments pro rata to their customers.

Chef

yes but Hibernian will only pay if you go to the one clinic who just happen to be Charter Medical. Curiouser and curiouser. They will not give it to you if you go to any other GP. So your medical insurance trats people differently. This is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

good question there, it says three shots, so i assume they're done at different times? and while im not able to get it for, hopefully a few more years, i have passed this info onto my mam, to hopefully get my younger sister in for it, much as she'll hate me for it :o

excellent thread thaed, thanks for posting, and fair play to the clinic. :)

Yeh its three shots and you get them six months apart. I got two in my arm, one in my bum. You just go in, get your shot and go home.After one of the injections my arm was sore, other than that its a walk in the park

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

IzzyWizzy wrote: »

i was told there was no point in me getting the vaccine, as i already have issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I'm wondering why its so pricey... a flu jab is much cheaper..

Also men getting it would be a clever idea but I doubt many will (I wont be) as we're not the ones who suffer and we'd have to pay for it, whereas if they government was paying I'd happily get it to reduce the chance of diseasing my GF
    (Although not being sexually active means I don't have it... hopefully!)

Advertisement