Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frugal telly and broadband

Options
  • 26-03-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are with up c currently, any more frugal alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Freeview (uk) and saorview (irish) would cost you about 200 euro to set up, and then your tv is free forever

broadband, most providers provide a basic service for 25 euro or so a month.

I'm not affiliated to these guys, but www.tvtrade.ie have lots of great videos that show how to install their products for freeview/saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Freeview (uk) and saorview (irish) would cost you about 200 euro to set up, and then your tv is free forever.

Is there anyone reliable you know who could install the satellite for me?

At present I have a phone/TV/broadband package. The prices everywhere seem much the same.

tbh, the reason for the phone is so that people with landlines can phone me. It's a pain to remember that I really can only use the phone after 6pm or whatever and don't make any international calls and certainly never call a mobile on it etc etc etc. A few of my friends are out and out technophobes and so don't use Skype or Facebook or whatever :-(

So if anyone knows of a good phone and/or broadband package too I'd be delighted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there anyone reliable you know who could install the satellite for me?

Where are you? Generally installers won't go more than 20 mile radius or so.
    tbh, the reason for the phone is so that people with landlines can phone me. It's a pain to remember that I really can only use the phone after 6pm or whatever and don't make any international calls and certainly never call a mobile on it etc etc etc. A few of my friends are out and out technophobes and so don't use Skype or Facebook or whatever :-(

So if anyone knows of a good phone and/or broadband package too I'd be delighted.

You can get a phone number on a VOIP provider like Blueface or even Skype once you've working internet from someone/anyone. UPC also do their damndest to ensure you get a phone number off them if they can - it can be cheaper than take broadband/phone than BB + the "single service fee" for instance; and the line (no calls) comes free with even the lowest Horizon TV+BB package.

Porting a number can be bloody awkward the smaller the VOIP provider is, but it does work.

In terms of the channels I want on TV and the utterly unmatchable broadband speed, I'm staying with UPC - the quoted price for the package I'm on is too high but when I asked to drop down they offered me the existing one for 2.50 more than what I wanted (~12 cheaper than what I was on) presumably just to protect customer numbers. This (phoning up and threatening to leave / drop down service) is only an option after your first year but you can usually get three months half price and a fairly hefty cashback on signup. Realistically its something you need to do annually with any service provider - TV, BB, phone, mobile, power - even if you fully intend to stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Amista

Anyone know if I have a flat screen will it automatically have saorview? Was thinking of getting a combi box to get UK channels too. The other option is Apple tv or Google chrome tv haha too many options and not sure how to practically put any of them into place! Can anyone give me a dumbed down solution pls? Think of it as a mother's day gift to a very sleep deprived wanna be frugal mammy
    MYOB wrote: »
    Where are you? Generally installers won't go more than 20 mile radius or so.

You can get a phone number on a VOIP provider like Blueface or even Skype once you've working internet from someone/anyone. UPC also do their damndest to ensure you get a phone number off them if they can - it can be cheaper than take broadband/phone than BB + the "single service fee" for instance; and the line (no calls) comes free with even the lowest Horizon TV+BB package.

Porting a number can be bloody awkward the smaller the VOIP provider is, but it does work.

In terms of the channels I want on TV and the utterly unmatchable broadband speed, I'm staying with UPC - the quoted price for the package I'm on is too high but when I asked to drop down they offered me the existing one for 2.50 more than what I wanted (~12 cheaper than what I was on) presumably just to protect customer numbers. This (phoning up and threatening to leave / drop down service) is only an option after your first year but you can usually get three months half price and a fairly hefty cashback on signup. Realistically its something you need to do annually with any service provider - TV, BB, phone, mobile, power - even if you fully intend to stay with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amista wrote: »
    Anyone know if I have a flat screen will it automatically have saorview?

Nope, if its fairly new its likely but not guaranteed. If it predates Saorview, having the French TNTHD means it'll mostly work for starters though.

If you get a combo box it doesn't matter though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

If you live in a town or city, and have a tv with a saorview tuner built in, you can pick up Saorview with a rabbits ears basic aerial. Worth a try before bothering with all the receiver box and dish setup

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have a look at this box,look up xbmc online & check out the youtube vids of what it can do - it's brilliant.

http://www.satworld.ie/evo-xfinity.html

Regarding the broadband,keep UPC,it's the best out there plus if you keep the phone option then you get a couple of quid off the bill.

The best place on boards for info is the satellite forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Amista

Cheers all, so great to get some info in laymans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

There is a box called a vu+solo2. Don't think I'm allowed to to describe it here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What is the story with sky? I heard some tale that you could sign up to them for 1 year, the minimum, they would install all the kit professionally and then you cancel after a year and they just leave the dish behind, then you were able to connect your own box to the dish.

I think it was all legal, it was just not worth their while removing the dish or something, or on the basis that you might sign up again.

I have only got UPC basic tv package, no broadband with them. I was hearing I could cancel the TV and get broadband instead and then be watching TV via internet (I know it will not be the same channels but I am not particular). In this case I also heard UPC are likely to leave all the TV cabelling in my house going into all the rooms, so I could possibly get a dish and connect them using those same cables.

• Advertisement

You own the Sky dish and box after a year - its not a case of them not being bothered; they no longer own the kit. You get a decent enough selection of channels albeit its best if you can force the box back to a UK listing - as you get Channel 5, the extra ITV and 5 channels and less inaccessible channels.

If you drop UPC TV and keep broadband/phone, the analogue channels (17 or so) still work fine; but they clearly don't tell you that... some areas, e.g. Cork, don't have the analogue though. They'll leave the internal cabling as that's also not theirs but if, like my house, your multiple points are actually connected to different taps (terraced house with under-eave cabling on both sides) its completely useless once disconnected from the tap. If its a bit older its not suitable for satellite signals either.

The Vu box used as implied there is both completely illegal and an utter hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

How much are you paying with UPC? - For what?

You can usually negotiate a bette deal if you've been with them a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

You own the Sky dish and box after a year - its not a case of them not being bothered; they no longer own the kit. You get a decent enough selection of channels albeit its best if you can force the box back to a UK listing - as you get Channel 5, the extra ITV and 5 channels and less inaccessible channels.

If you drop UPC TV and keep broadband/phone, the analogue channels (17 or so) still work fine; but they clearly don't tell you that... some areas, e.g. Cork, don't have the analogue though. They'll leave the internal cabling as that's also not theirs but if, like my house, your multiple points are actually connected to different taps (terraced house with under-eave cabling on both sides) its completely useless once disconnected from the tap. If its a bit older its not suitable for satellite signals either.

The Vu box used as implied there is both completely illegal and an utter hassle.

I just have the skybox for free view and the upc analogue channels and it's grand! I only have one upc point so I have to use a splitter. I think I pay €37 per month for phone and broadband. The last time I checked they were charging €60 ish for TV, phone and broadband, pretty much the same as I have except the box to pause, record etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If the box is horizon it will also have digital HD channels, and 4 channel recording. You're meant to pay an additional fee if using the analogue.

beauf wrote: »
    If the box is horizon it will also have digital HD channels, and 4 channel recording. You're meant to pay an additional fee if using the analogue.

The normal HD box also has the HD channels and twin recording; but its well out of the realms of 'frugal' (says me who has Horizon, and an SD DVR in another room...)

You're meant to pay for the analogue but they won't actually let you subscribe to it without going digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I should have clarified. HD is included on the Horizon box but an extra cost on the old HD box. AFAIK at least.

The basic UPC net connection is 37 or so. Getting Horizon on top i(incl phone) s another 20 or so. Depending on the deal you, get, the weather, the phase of the moon and the UPC person you get. Even then its a lottery what will appear on the bill.

The digital was cheaper, than analogue (by about €3) when it was an option. IMO getting a decent UPC net connection, then a saorview box, and a sub to netflix, nowTV or similar is probably the best bang for buck.

It kinda depends on what you watch though, is it movies, series, sport, Irish TV, UK TV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Completely illegal yes, an utter hassle, no.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Actually it's more that since you have the dish you can sign up again for a month at a time. Handy for christmas films.

UPC BB only is as little as €25 a month for first 6 month and then more afterwards, but you can haggle on renewal

if you only need lite access to interweb and you can get hold of a dongle for a tenner a month http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057209015

if you live very close to the border you might get UK freeview TV ,ask the neighbours

A freeview HD TV may pick up saorview , but all new TV sold down here must receive saorview or it's straight back quoting the Sale of goods and services act.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Do you need a sat dish to get freeview/saorview? In an apartment so it's not really an option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Our Year wrote: »
    Do you need a sat dish to get freeview/saorview? In an apartment so it's not really an option.
    Saorview just needs a TV aerial. depending on where you are an indoor one would do.

freeview is only avaliable near the border and uses a tv aerial

freesat needs a satellite dish

if you have a south facing balcony you could set it back or hide it below the edge so it's not visible , it's tricky but possible to mount the dish nearly horizontal too
    3549518092_e41f3b5c92_o.jpg

or you could hide it under a tarp

LFgnPLO.jpg

or get a better 0.3dB LNB and use a smaller dish - like the camping ones, but expect problems/interference during heavy rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Keep an eye on Aldi and Lidl for small portable camping dishes, they usually come with clamp mountings aswell so no drilling the plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The eircom friends and family deal is offering an 18 month contract of efibre 100mb,off peak calls and their tv service for 30 euro a month. Not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

- We are currently using a family members Sky subscription via Xbox (incl sports & movies)
    - The sky box is now just used for UK FTA channels.
    - And Netflix via Chromecast.
    (€7 per month)

Sky broadband (€40 per month)

2 x '48 months' subscriptions (€20 per month).

€800 per year for all telecoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

We just have the old Sky plus box from when we canceled our sky package over a year ago,
    it's basically a UK freeview box now and that doesn't cost anything and the TV has Saorview built in.
    Then we download anything extra we want to watch via the internet, never missed any programs we wanted to watch.
    The only inconvenience is if it's on TV tonight we have to download it in the morning and watch it tomorrow so your one day behind, no big deal.
    No land line anymore, we were a little nervous about losing it but in well over a year we have not missed the Phone line or the subscription TV either.
    There is no way i would want to pay for those services again.

Total cost €300 per year for the Internet, 2 teenagers in the house so we couldn't really lose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I got that crowd "no more TV bills" and have saorview and all freesat channels.
    All the BBC's 1-4 and BBC red button. All the ITV's and their plus ones., all the channel4's and their derivatives, film 4, channel 5, usa, 5 star.
    Music, horror, true drama, CBS, and lately community channel whch has been showing some good stuff.
    Load of good channels, load of rubbish ones too, but just delete them. To record you need a usb stick, for smart TV stuff, the DVD player does that for us, wifi connection to internet, logon using google account and you can watch online content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

does anyone have experience with a dream box - 150 to install - free sky channels incl movies and sports?

silly wrote: »
    does anyone have experience with a dream box - 150 to install - free sky channels incl movies and sports?
    there's two types

there was the dodgy box that used to break UPC encryption illegally but they haven't worked for years because the encryption is better now

yes you can also get linux powered dream box satellite viewers for free to air satellite channels

Bottom line , breaking encryption for pay channels is illegal here so don't ask.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=295325
    For the avoidance of doubt: DON'T Discuss any methods that allow access to a pay-television service, other than taking out a legitimate, paid, subscription to the provider of that service.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0024/sec0009.html#zza24y1990s9

Tuning instructions for free to air channels on satellite
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Tuning instructions for free to air channels on satellite
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

wait a minute now....so if I cancel my sky subscription - I can just follow the instructions on that post and get all those channels for free....sorry I am a complete dunce when it comes to this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

silly wrote: »
    wait a minute now....so if I cancel my sky subscription - I can just follow the instructions on that post and get all those channels for free....sorry I am a complete dunce when it comes to this..

Yes you can...
    When you cancel your sky subscription it's your sky box to keep.
    just power the box off for a few minuets, then take out the sky viewing card from the slot in the box, and then power back on without the card in and all those channels are available for free. you wont be able to record them but it won't be costing anything so it's still better than paying a subscription fee each month.
    I did it over a year ago and it's been great, saved a small fortune.

Advertisement