Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Irish In Calgary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Im in the process of getting my 1 year working visa (fingers crossed) and will be going over with my girlfriend.

Im graduating in may with a hospitality degree and my girlfriend with an engineering degree.

I have 4 years experience in the bar industry, Im sure I will pick up work easy enough. She will be looking for something in her field and we're well aware that it could be very difficult for her to find something. We're currently looking through all the options. Anyone have any advice on a graduate looking for work or even an internship with companies over there?

We've narrowed it down to Calgary and Vancouver and I think we're swinging towards Calgary. I know two guys in Calgary at the moment both working in bars and they say they got work easy enough. They'll both be home by the time we get there though.

There is quite a bit of bar work here from what I hear and the tips can make it into a decent wage here.

Your GF will have next to no chance of getting a job as a fresh Grad in Vancouver so Calgary will be your best bet. Even here it will be difficult to get a start with no experience but it is just about the best place in North America for Engineering work so it would be worth a shot.

She should try and make it really clear on her Resume / Cover Letter that she has access to at least a 2 year visa and also make it clear that her job title is on the Canadian skills list. Employers here don't like the idea of training someone only to have them bail out a year later when visa expires.

What type of Engineering is she studying? I work in Eng here but my company doesn't hire regularly and is unlikely to hire a Graduate but I may know a few to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

ibh wrote: »
    There is quite a bit of bar work here from what I hear and the tips can make it into a decent wage here.

Your GF will have next to no chance of getting a job as a fresh Grad in Vancouver so Calgary will be your best bet. Even here it will be difficult to get a start with no experience but it is just about the best place in North America for Engineering work so it would be worth a shot.

She should try and make it really clear on her Resume / Cover Letter that she has access to at least a 2 year visa and also make it clear that her job title is on the Canadian skills list. Employers here don't like the idea of training someone only to have them bail out a year later when visa expires.

What type of Engineering is she studying? I work in Eng here but my company doesn't hire regularly and is unlikely to hire a Graduate but I may know a few to try.

Yeh we're fairly set on Calgary, thanks for the help, I think shes going to PM you to find those names
    Thanks again
    Martyn

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

ibh wrote: »

Hi ibh,

My girlfriend and I are thinking of heading over to calgary in June. I will be graduating in May with a Civil Engineering degree. I'll have about 6 months good work experience. Just wondering what you think my prospects are like for a job.

Any chance you could point me in the direction of some companys to approach.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

me and the woman are headin on march 15, cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

memaul wrote: »
    Hi ibh,

My girlfriend and I are thinking of heading over to calgary in June. I will be graduating in May with a Civil Engineering degree. I'll have about 6 months good work experience. Just wondering what you think my prospects are like for a job.

Any chance you could point me in the direction of some companys to approach.

Thanks very much

Hi,

I've just secured work after two interviews and two job offers !!!! :cool:
    monster.com was the way I went, don't know how jobs are for you
    (I'm an arch tech) eng guys but I'd be gob-smacked if you had any
    trouble getting work anywhere in Alberta. Email the agencies with the CV
    first. There is the potential for big $$$$ after a few years... good luck

• Advertisement

pkane wrote: »
    hi all
    im an irish electrician heading to calgary in jul with my girlfriend who is a nurse. can anybody gives us advice on job prospects and what the money is like etc... appreciate any advice or updates from calgary..
    cheers

check how your qualifications transfer

anyone in Red Deer?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

dub man wrote: »
    hi guys and gals im here since aug ive only met 3 irish since i came the work is plentiful im with a roofing company there always looking for guys its flynn canada if your looking for work with them let me know ill tell ye the do,s and dont,s you dont have to be a roofer,any body in mckenzie with kids my wife is home with our 8 month old and is stuck indoors not meeting anyone bloody hard for her any info would be great

Have a look at meetup.com, you can join a group with other people who have similar interests, eg. meet up to see movies, mommy get-togethers, go for hikes, etc.

Never a bad idea to mix with locals to make new friends, network etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

pkane wrote: »
    hi all
    im an irish electrician heading to calgary in jul with my girlfriend who is a nurse. can anybody gives us advice on job prospects and what the money is like etc... appreciate any advice or updates from calgary..
    cheers

there's an electrical company from calgary interviewing in Dublin from May 11 to 14 you should have a look on the irish jobs sites it pops up on a good few of them. commercial construction electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nedser1

Hi i have just started the process of trying to get a job in calgary . I am a tiler by trade with alot of experience .Can anyone point me in the right direction of getting a job offer for lmo .I would consider anything to get started out there .

• Advertisement

hey dub man lookin to go to calgary im a tiler but im sure i can be of use is there any vacancies for labourers

If you are young enough (U-35) then you should get the IEC visa.

A company has to employ a minimum number of people before they are allowed to get LMO's so you need to find a large tiling contractor if you are doing the LMO route.
    I don't think any General Contractors here would have direct hire tilers, so they probably have sub contractors doing the tiling. Try and search for the biggest tiling company and email them is the best bet.

Maybe try some of the housebuilding companies as well. Brookfield Homes is the only name i can think of.

thanks ibh
    will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mark anthony

Hi all, myself and my partner are looking into moving to calgary with our 16 month old son, im an electrician and have an interview coming up next week with a company called unitech electrical corp.(if anyone has any news on the company or if anybody works for them, any info would be much appreciated) anyways ive been looking online at some properties to rent and there is that many in so many areas im getting abit overwhelmed, does anybody have any suggestions on locations close enough to get to downtown via train etc.thanks. Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Hi all, myself and my partner are looking into moving to calgary with our 16 month old son, im an electrician and have an interview coming up next week with a company called unitech electrical corp.(if anyone has any news on the company or if anybody works for them, any info would be much appreciated) anyways ive been looking online at some properties to rent and there is that many in so many areas im getting abit overwhelmed, does anybody have any suggestions on locations close enough to get to downtown via train etc.thanks. Mark

Bankview is nice, not too dear and closish to downtown.

Try www.padmapper.com. it'll let you select a price range and number of bedrooms etc and then display all the listings from kijiji, craigslist nd others on a map. It's how I found my place

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tony53

hi
    Im also an electrician and hoping to move to Calgary with my wife and kids this summer
    Please let me know how you get on with work and accomadation
    Thanks in advance
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭velnias2010

Hey,

I found finding work in Calgary pretty easy, and from speaking to others it's pretty much the same story. There is work here forsure, and the money is good.

I am a web developer got a job within 2 weeks. Mainly due to 3 interviews for the job. I put my Resume on Workopolis, and I got contacted from that. I still get emails every second day for interviews, I can't see to many other cities under the current climate having so much hiring demand.

The weather is finally getting better to, 25 degrees this weekend !

Ive been to Vancouver and Toronto aswell, worked for a while in Vancouver and getting a job there was 10 times harder for me. Both are nicer cities than Calgary, but Calgary beats it with the work demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭velnias2010

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnymilo

Hi mark i also attended interview for unitech and unfortunately didnt get the job. how did you get on yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BCONNA

Hello there,

Just got a job in Calgary with a crowd called Thermal systems, there to sort out visa bank account accommadation for a while etc. Has anybody heard of these guys in Calgary? Supposed to be a pretty big company?
    Also, if anybody could give a figure regarding the cost of living for a family of 4 kids (eldest girl 13- 3 more under 5) per month, these guys want an answer now- want me out by July 9th!! Wife & me dont know which way to look, any help at all is very much appreciated,
    thanks i n advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hi guys,

Looking for advice on accomodation. Me and my partner will be arriving in Calgary in Oct and have been on Craigslist, kiiji, rentfaster.ca etc etc and hav sent off a few tester emails to see some feedback.

How would anyone recommend getting a place? Will landlords hold a place for us in Oct (I doubt)... B Is it trust worthy to use these sites now as we wont be arriving for a few months. Is it jsut best to book a cheap motel/hotel for a week and have a look at palces when we arrive then? Im pretty keen to have somewhere to stay but as you can imagein using a website to rent a palce without having the comfort of visiting the plae is a bit daunting.

Anyone recommend using a letting agency or know any good landlords? we've been looking at places in the NW mostly seem cheap enough and good links to downtown for jobs.

Any help would be appreciated and lood forward to getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishInCalgary

Best thing is to get on kijiji a couple of days before you come over and line up some viewings. I cant imagine any landlord holding a place for you when they havent met you - in fact i'd be very wary of any who actually offered to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Hi ,
    There seems to be a good few on here in Calgary . I am hoping to move to there soon . Whats the story with accommodation there. I was thinking a hostel or some sort of short term reasonably priced apartments to get started.
    Doesnt seem to be alot of these options .
    Any advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated .

Not many good places for short term in Calgary. Only real options are to search Kijiji just before you come over for temp rental or stay in a hostel.
    Think there's only a couple of Hostels in the city. Wicked and HI are the two i know about. Motels are very expensive and not at all luxurious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've heard that Calgary is very spread out. So, is life hard if you don't have a car?

Also, how bad an idea would it be to move there coming into winter?

I've been in -20 here (Seoul) last winter if that makes any difference? I guess I mean more from a finding work point of view. Is it still easy to find work going into winter?

I've heard that Calgary is very spread out. So, is life hard if you don't have a car?

i wouldn't be here without a car, it's north america. Try going shopping in the snow, waiting on a bus/train on a cold winter morning no thanks :eek:
    Also, how bad an idea would it be to move there coming into winter?

depends what you want, construction still goes on and there is more work on the oil sands in the winter if thats your gig
    I've been in -20 here (Seoul) last winter if that makes any difference? I guess I mean more from a finding work point of view. Is it still easy to find work going into winter?

yes :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

calgary city chap, was at some gaa night on steve ave few weeks ago ther must be at least a zillion irish here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Me and my gf are headin in November, we're well aware its not ideal but we've no chioce really. Can't wait!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

me and missus moving ina couple of months,cant wait......best areas to live lads?we are looking for a 2 bed place

• Advertisement

snoopmadra wrote: »
    me and missus moving ina couple of months,cant wait......best areas to live lads?we are looking for a 2 bed place

My advice would be to start off close to downtown and close to a C-Train station.
    If possible, don't sign a year lease straight away as it ties you to that place when you don't really know where you will work, what the place is like etc. Try and get a month to month or even a 6 month lease. The best i could negotiate was an 8 month lease.

Boardwalk rentals have a good few buildings downtown with apartments so if you search for them you'll get an idea of whats out there.

Apartments will nearly always be unfurnished by the way. It's easy to pick up cheap furniture off www.calgary.kijiji.ca you will probably need to rent a van to pick it all up though.

Good luck

Advertisement