Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carry a weapon for protection

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I've never seen the need to carry any kind of weapon either in Belfast or London. I know what places are fairly safe and which areas to avoid. And there's also the matter of RESPECT. Unless you live in a really rough area you shouldn't feel the need to carry a weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Legality aside, carrying a weapon for self defense is more likely to result in the weapon being used, or increase significantly the severity of any attack, on you. This is because while in theory a weapon can be used for defense, you have to actually know how to use one. Even if you have some skill in using said weapon, then you have to hope that it will greater than your assailant.

Any hesitation, any fumble, any error in combat and you're screwed. If the other party is stronger than you, or outnumbers you, then you could also have the weapon taken from you and then it becomes their weapon, to use on you. Indeed, if you are outnumbered, a knife is not going to protect you all that much - assuming that they are not also armed, they can still surround you - then what?

Worst of all, it creates further confusion during the critical fight or flight moment of decision; you are no longer left with a simple choice to make a run for it, but you also suddenly are faced with other variables to weigh up in light of the fight option being open to you.

And finally it can give false confidence - which if combined with alcohol - can cause someone to choose to stay and fight or to go down a dangerous path in the first place, when it is the dumbest thing you could do.

So, unless you are very fit and very experienced in the use of such a weapon, the answer is no; carrying a weapon for the purposes of self defense is more likely to do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'd also like to add to what TC has said by mentioning that once you draw a weapon, you have crossed the threshold on backing away. You are now committed and you are going to have to be prepared to use said weapon; or as mentioned already, very likely have it turned on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Carrying a weapon for defence could easily be seen as provoking. If you live in a rough area (as I do) and if it becomes known that you carry a knife or whatever, then the local scumbags will be more likely to have a pop at you.

The best form of self defence is avoiding certain situations.

Now sometimes you just cant. It happens to us all.

A perfect situation is on a bus where you're put into close quarters with the local tribe of scum. What then?

So be prepared. You have a phone and keys. use them. Taking one or two self defence classes wouldnt be a bad idea either or even learning Karate or something.

But best of all - avoid it. Be a lover, not a fighter:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Dont go down that road. If you carry that mentality you will bring that into your experience.

My dad never carried a weapon and we lived in the bronx.Theyre were plenty of hairy situations but learn how tio avoid trouble simply by paying attention to your surroundings.

Having said that you never know when trouble is going to find you.I was in the mens restroom on holidays in Bratislava and 2 guys came in behind me and I knew something was wrong. i looked behind me and there was a 2 skinhead guys bigger than me ,I'm 6'6' BTW.

At that point ,I really didn't know what to do .I knew it was going off and I had nowhere to escape ,so I just walked up to them and said the first thing that came into my head which was "hi I'm colin farrell " they both looked puzzled and I walked by .I was confused so I asked the girls I was with what was the deal and apparently a rival skinhead gang had killed another gangs member the previous night .If I hadn't have opened my mouth . I wouldn't be here typing this today.BTW that incident described above happened in an Irish pub .

The long and short ,Practice how to be always aware of your surrounding .Watch and observe people in your vicinity , note body language very carefully to assess situations that may be nasty and be able to run fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sopick

just carry a hurley with ye everywhere ye go you can just pretend your going hurling down that dark alley way at 3 in the mornin

Advertisement