Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Irish In Calgary

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Phoenix wrote: »
    You have to request to join

I have done - and must have been blocked. I cannot see the Irish in Calgary Facebook page at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Hey All.

I work for a large multinational IT company and there is a position that has been opened for Calgary. The role is for a Technical Pre-Sales position primarily focused on Enterprise Technologies and Products (Servers / Storage Arrays / Networking / Software / Services). The head office is located in Toronto but there is a small presence across a multitude of roles based in Calgary. It will be a primarily working from home role with possibility of travel requirements the odd time to visit customers / do presentations etc. If you have experience in this field or think you may be a fit please send me a message or reply here and i can give you all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Calgary brewskies? Anyone up for it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ok, where're we goin'? :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Anywhere anytime! Post it up here I'll be on!

Lads I've been here a month and have had absolutely no success finding a job. I've applied everywhere - bars, retail, coffee shops, offices - all places I've had experience, I've applied in person, online, over the phone and via recruitment agencies. I haven't had any luck. I feel the initial momentum of coming here and buzzing to get working dropping rapidly. Any advice??

gg2 wrote: »
    Lads I've been here a month and have had absolutely no success finding a job. I've applied everywhere - bars, retail, coffee shops, offices - all places I've had experience, I've applied in person, online, over the phone and via recruitment agencies. I haven't had any luck. I feel the initial momentum of coming here and buzzing to get working dropping rapidly. Any advice??

Have you Canadianized your resume? That could be the problem. Should be lots of work in the bar and restaurant trade come up to Calgary Stampede. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Have you been on Kijiji?

Have you been on Kijiji?

Yes all day everyday. I've started googling their addresses, calling the company and try to talk to people in charge of hiring. If I was being paid to try find a job I'd be cleaning up 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

It took me two months to find a job. I found it a bit depressing when you did not even get an acknowledgement or a pfo. Anyway, did you try http://www.markstaffing.com/ ? I got my current job through them.

And join the Irish in Calgary Facebook group if you haven't already. Occasionally you'll see some jobs posted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Have you done the ProServe course? It's mandatory for bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Maybe that's why your been overlooked. Also O'Sullivans bar on Macleod by Chinook were looking for servers (and possibly bar people) earlier this week. Might be worth a look.
    The quickest way to get into office work is temping. Tell them you're happy to temp while they find you a long term job(and you can look in the mean time). I was offered a permanent job from the 1st place I temped. Was through Hays - Makela there is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

Get on up to Banff, it's prime tourist season so there's plenty of retail and hospitality jobs. Only issue is accom but you'll get sorted eventually. Some of the hotels lay on accommodation for staff so you should look into that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 annanj

Hi guys!

I wonder what is current situation in Calgary/Alberta? I was planning to go there by the end of this year, but I hear a lot of talks about oil crisis etc. Is it really THAT bad, should I choose another province instead? I am a girl, so I don't have plans to work on fields or oil industry. But I suppose all of this affect every industry as it is oil and gas province after all. I am hoping to get half decent job (I have a degree (business with psychology) and work in a world known company here in Dublin). I don't mind survival job at all, but not for 2 years... Thanks in advance!

annanj wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I wonder what is current situation in Calgary/Alberta? I was planning to go there by the end of this year, but I hear a lot of talks about oil crisis etc. Is it really THAT bad, should I choose another province instead? I am a girl, so I don't have plans to work on fields or oil industry. But I suppose all of this affect every industry as it is oil and gas province after all. I am hoping to get half decent job (I have a degree (business with psychology) and work in a world known company here in Dublin). I don't mind survival job at all, but not for 2 years... Thanks in advance!

The economy in Calgary will probably remain fairly strong (besides the oil & gas sector) so you should be fine. If it doesn't work out you could possibly move to Toronto, Vancouver etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

Does anyone know the best recruitment company in Calgary for IT related jobs? I have sent out a few CV's but I am hearing nothing back. Next step is to walk around to the companies and hand in CV's myself but I was wondering if anyone knew any good recruitment agencies in this area who help out job seekers? My girlfriend got a job in no time in property through a recruitment agency who found the job for her.

I have both qualifications and experience mainly as desktop / laptop / tablet / application support, server management, network maintenance and the virtual environment so I have experience in a few areas of IT, but I am not hearing anything back from applications. My resume and cover letters are Canadianised as well so that isn't the issue.

If anyone knows of any recruitment companies they used or someone they know used that they could recommend I would appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Durag wrote: »
    If anyone knows of any recruitment companies they used or someone they know used that they could recommend I would appreciate it.
    Somebody mentioned office temp work as a way to get your foot in the door. It seems to be the same for IT here. You work or contract for a company that resells you and your services and then you use that to earn a reputation and build your (people) network.

www.sisystems.com is one such company. RobertHalf is a plain old recruitment company, but I didn't have much success with them.

Others include LongView, Metafore, F12 and E.S. Williams.

PM me you C.V. - no promises but my place may be hiring a junior/intermediate support person in near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

Thanks for that I will look into them.

I actually got a call about an interview next week so thats something. I am going to go into a few places and had my resume in personally as well.

I'll send you my CV, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dara7

Does anybody know if it is possible to swap a Category C full Irish rigid truck drivers licence, for a Class 3 alberta drivers licence? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-alberta-licences.aspx
    As Republic of Ireland only has a reciprocal licence exchange agreement for Class 5 and 6, I'd say you'll need to do the Mandatory Entry-Level Training for Class 3.

Perhaps check https://www.facebook.com/groups/132443770140133

Advertisement