Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional Car License and motorbikes...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

Do you drive a bike?
    ye im on a kawasaki zxr400, only have a provisional tho

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fabio wrote: »
    From what I have read you have to go and take the motorbike theory test and then get your provisional motorbike license no matter what.

The short answer is...........maybe !

If your full car licence was issued before (iirc Oct 06), you can get an M added to your existing licence(s), just by asking for it.

If your full licence was issued after that, you have to do an AM Theory test.........and you're into all the palaver that goes with it.

So, start with the easy bit: when did you get your full car licence ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hey there,

I am just looking for some advice, my boyfriend has just gotten his first provisional motorbike license and has bought an unrestricted 650cc. Is it legal to drive this on the road or does it have to be restricted as he only has a provisional license? any info wuld be much appreciated!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

carlylong wrote: »
    Hey there,

I am just looking for some advice, my boyfriend has just gotten his first provisional motorbike license and has bought an unrestricted 650cc. Is it legal to drive this on the road or does it have to be restricted as he only has a provisional license? any info wuld be much appreciated!

What bike is it? I think all the 650s are over the 25kW limit so if its under the power to weight ratio 0.16kW/kg then it should be ok if not it will probably should be restricted to be legal.

carlylong wrote: »
    Hey there,

If it's a yamaha dragstar 650 then its learner legal. It's right on the power/weight limit on the provisional licence.

• Advertisement

Hey, Thanks for the reply, Its a bandit 650 & to me, looks like a big heavy bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup, the Guards will take the bike off him if he gets stopped.

RasTa wrote: »
    Yup, the Guards will take the bike off him if he gets stopped.

Thanks a mill, Yea I thought that was the case alright and tried to tell him but "apparently" I know nothing about bikes so Im talking crap!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

they make about 70hp afaik, so are well over the restriction

not licensed to ride em on a prov

Advertisement