Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

DaveR1 wrote: »
    Considering the speed limit, speed bumps, pedestrian crossings and the fact that cyclists aren't been killed every day in huge numbers around the countries roads, I'm pretty confident the road through UL could be considered safe!!

Then the same logic also means that the cycle lane is safe to use. Also UL isn't full of pedestrians get knocked down at. Also want to point out that the crossing at the arena carpark, mantaince and MSSI car park the pedestrians and cyclists don't have right of way and must yield for traffic. If you are worried about being run over at these spot maybe you should pay better attention and abide by the rules instead of complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Jester252 wrote: »
    Also want to point out that the crossing at the arena carpark, mantaince and MSSI car park the pedestrians and cyclists don't have right of way and must yield for traffic. .

This is exactly why the cycle lanes are impractical and as a consequence unsafe.

Therefore I use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

This is exactly why the cycle lanes are impractical and as a consequence unsafe.

I really don't get you here. It's unsafe because you may have to stop? Stopping at an entrance when there is a car coming is unsafe?
    Are you insured on the road where cycle lanes exist, given that you're obliged to use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

So they're unsafe because you just wont stop and look to see if anything is coming?

Footpaths are unsafe because pedestrians have to stop and look before crossing the road.. therefore people should walk on the road.. by your logic..

sup_dude wrote: »
    I really don't get you here. It's unsafe because you may have to stop? Stopping at an entrance when there is a car coming is unsafe?
    Are you insured on the road where cycle lanes exist, given that you're obliged to use them?

Why would I cycle along a path that forces me to slow down and stop every 200m. I can instead use the road along which I have right of way ahead of any car at the junction. The reason I cycle is because it is faster than walking and at peak times faster than driving. It is totally impractical for me to have to stop at all these junctions so just use the road. Its easier and safer.

As a side note,
    1. A cyclist has no insurance, irrespective of bike lanes.
    2. Under the road traffic act a cyclist isn't required to use a bike lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Not necessarily true, but continue.

Not necessarily true, but continue.

Explain?

Why would I cycle along a path that forces me to slow down and stop every 200m. I can instead use the road along which I have right of way ahead of any car at the junction. The reason I cycle is because it is faster than walking and at peak times faster than driving. It is totally impractical for me to have to stop at all these junctions so just use the road. Its easier and safer.

As a side note,

Yet cycling is still faster. I still don't understand how it's safer when a) cars aren't expecting a cyclist on the road when there is a cycle path provided and b) if you stop when you're supposed to, there's no reason to fear being hit.
    Yes, you have to use cycle lanes:
    So really, the only reason you don't use cycle lanes is because you don't want to stop when you're meant to...

Explain?

Cycling insurance is optional. I have it as a member of Cycling Ireland.
    Yet cycling is still faster. I still don't understand how it's safer when a) cars aren't expecting a cyclist on the road when there is a cycle path provided and b) if you stop when you're supposed to, there's no reason to fear being hit.

What's that well known message again? Oh yeah, "Expect the unexpected". You shouldn't be driving faster than the speed you'd be capable of stopping safely in.
    So really, the only reason you don't use cycle lanes is because you don't want to stop when you're meant to...
    No, use of cycle lanes is not law. That first website appears to be wildly out of date.

EDIT: see here: http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Varadkar+abolishes+requirement+for+cyclists+to+use+cycle+lanes/id/19410615-5218-5085-7ae6-7b87b0401760

If you want to get technical, a cyclist is only obliged to use a cycle track. A cycle track cannot be occupied by pedestrians. This is not what is provided in UL. Instead it is a cycle path, which is optional.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0274.html

Cars don't need to expect a cyclist on the road. Driving with due care and attention will suffice!!!

• Advertisement

Having a look at it now. Never knew that was available!

As a cycling ireland member turns out I do have insurance that I never knew about. Doesn't look like my commute is covered. I'll have to say cycling to UL is part of my training schedule!!

Having a look at it now. Never knew that was available!

As a cycling ireland member turns out I do have insurance that I never knew about. Doesn't look like my commute is covered. I'll have to say cycling to UL is part of my training schedule!!

Hmmm I thought it covered everything. The accident report form doesn't mention or ask anything about what type of cycling you were doing when the accident happened, so I don't think it matters too much. It's just semantics whether it's training or commuting - for many people commuting to work is part of their training.

What's that well known message again? Oh yeah, "Expect the unexpected". You shouldn't be driving faster than the speed you'd be capable of stopping safely in.

No, use of cycle lanes is not law. That first website appears to be wildly out of date.

EDIT: see here: http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Varadkar+abolishes+requirement+for+cyclists+to+use+cycle+lanes/id/19410615-5218-5085-7ae6-7b87b0401760

Yet the OP said he " would rather keep my life in my own hands instead of placing it into the lap of gods counting on a driver to see me from the corner of their eye"

I never said it was law, however I wasn't aware that there was an update to the legislation.
    If you want to get technical, a cyclist is only obliged to use a cycle track. A cycle track cannot be occupied by pedestrians. This is not what is provided in UL. Instead it is a cycle path, which is optional.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0274.html

Cars don't need to expect a cyclist on the road. Driving with due care and attention will suffice!!!

And that is the failing of the cycle lanes in UL, not the constant stopping. Your link states
    (3) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), a pedal cycle must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.
    In light of Majestic's link, I'm not saying you're wrong though.

I still don't see where the safety issue is with the current lanes...

I've no idea - I don't cycle in UL so I can't really talk specifically about that.

Why would I cycle along a path that forces me to slow down and stop every 200m.I can instead use the road along which I have right of way ahead of any car at the junction. The reason I cycle is because it is faster than walking and at peak times faster than driving. It is totally impractical for me to have to stop at all these junctions so just use the road. Its easier and safer.

As a side note,

Not true, a cyclist has right of way depending on the junction like all other road vehicles. Do us all a favour and read the rules of the road before you cycle again. You are the worst kind of road users. You have a lack of knowledge and are selfish. Right now you are an accident waiting to happen.

Not true, a cyclist has right of way depending on the junction like all other road vehicles. Do us all a favour and read the rules of the road before you cycle again. You are the worst kind of road users. You have a lack of knowledge and are selfish. Right now you are an accident waiting to happen.

Who are you specifically referring to when you say "You are the worst kind of road users", cyclists in general??

I am specifically talking about junctions which have bike lanes that are set off the road running through them. E.g. East Gate Car Park, 3 euro car park, Spar shop by groody, outside odeon cinema etc etc etc.....
    If I am in the bike lane I am crossing the junction and to be safe I will need to slow down to check for cars, and probably stop if there is a car. On the other hand if I am on the road I have right of way and the car coming out of the junction will stop, check that it is safe and then proceed. If I am on the road the car will wait until I pass and then proceeed when safe to do so.
    However, the bike lanes that are part of the road for example past oaklawns and elm park are practical and safe as the cyclist has right of way through these junctions.

Who are you specifically referring to when you say "You are the worst kind of road users", cyclists in general??

I am specifically talking about junctions which have bike lanes that are set off the road running through them. E.g. East Gate Car Park, 3 euro car park, Spar shop by groody, outside odeon cinema etc etc etc.....
    If I am in the bike lane I am crossing the junction and to be safe I will need to slow down to check for cars, and probably stop if there is a car. On the other hand if I am on the road I have right of way and the car coming out of the junction will stop, check that it is safe and then proceed. If I am on the road the car will wait until I pass and then proceeed when safe to do so.
    However, the bike lanes that are part of the road for example past oaklawns and elm park are practical and safe as the cyclist has right of way through these junctions.

Did I say cyclist or did I say ignorant and selfish?

You said specifically "I can instead use the road along which I have right of way ahead of any car at the junction." but it's good to see that you are learning that you don't have right of way ahead of any car. Stay off the road

Did I say cyclist or did I say ignorant and selfish?

You said specifically "I can instead use the road along which I have right of way ahead of any car at the junction." but it's good to see that you are learning that you don't have right of way ahead of any car. Stay off the road

You sound like a nice, calm and assertive person to be driving any type of vehicle on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

You should really replace faster with safer.. the cycle lanes arent dangerous if you use them properly but clearly you just want to get there quicker and dont want to stop, which makes you using cycle lanes dangerous..
    If someone uses the cycle lanes and stops where they are meant to stop it is perfectly safe, although a few seconds slower.

You sound like a nice, calm and assertive person to be driving any type of vehicle on the road.

At least I know the rules of the road and have personal responsibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Leaving Certs. Library. Grrr.

At least I know the rules of the road and have personal responsibility

That doesn't make up for an aggressive attitude. And it certainly doesn't give you the right to tell others how to behave.

That doesn't make up for an aggressive attitude. And it certainly doesn't give you the right to tell others how to behave.

I'm sorry for being concern over other people safety

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So for "impractical" I'll just read "slightly slower", and for "unsafe" I'll read "slightly slower" then...

:pac:

It's funny, I walk that path at "peak" times a lot of mornings and rarely see cars pulling into the car park, and even rarer is it to see something pulling into the maintenance place. But hey, if it requires you to slow down for a few seconds and look both ways, then it's clearly worse than Nazi Germany and would probably make you horrifically late to everything. :P

Anywho, ignore me, carry on, this is highly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

wnolan1992 wrote:

Anywho, ignore me, carry on, this is highly amusing.

Time to break out the gifs:D

garv123 wrote: »
    You should really replace safer with faster.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    So for "impractical" I'll just read "slightly slower", and for "unsafe" I'll read "slightly slower" then...

I still stand over both safer and faster. By cycling on the lane I encounter more potential hazards than on the road. Now the question is what is the risk associated with each hazard on the bike lane vs. hazards on the road. Some may agree some may disagree but I find the road a safer place to be. As an added bonus it is also much faster. This is why the bike lanes in UL are impractical.

As I have said before, bikes lanes along plassy road past oaklawns and elm park are the most practical and safest type of bike lanes.

I still stand over both safer and faster. By cycling on the lane I encounter more potential hazards than on the road. Now the question is what is the risk associated with each hazard on the bike lane vs. hazards on the road. Some may agree some may disagree but I find the road a safer place to be. As an added bonus it is also much faster. This is why the bike lanes in UL are impractical.

As I have said before, bikes lanes along plassy road past oaklawns and elm park are the most practical and safest type of bike lanes.

I.e not willing to yield.

Dave, I think until you can tell us how there are safety issues with the cycle paths using a proper reason, you're not going to get many people on your side, and that includes people who have the power to get something done about it. Reading your last few posts, the only issue we can find is the speed, even though you maintain that it's a safety hazard too, and being slightly slower isn't going to cut it.
    Baring in mind, the people you are talking to are part of UL too, some here many years and there's a good chance someone also uses the paths...

Why should a bike be a second class road user and yield at minor junctions when travelling along the main road. Having to cross the minor junctions 5 meters from where a car will be turning in is a safety issue, even if stopping. The car is approaching from behind the bike. It is not safe. On another practical issue, when I exit the east gate on the bike where do I go? I end up on a footpath, the bike lane disappears. Not practical. All in all bike lanes around UL are impractical, poorly designed, unsafe and slow.

My question is why should I use the bike lanes instead of the road? I gain no advantage using them but many disadvantages.

• Advertisement

Why should a bike be a second class road user and yield at minor junctions when travelling along the main road. Having to cross the minor junctions 5 meters from where a car will be turning in is a safety issue, even if stopping. The car is approaching from behind the bike. It is not safe. On another practical issue, when I exit the east gate on the bike where do I go? I end up on a footpath, the bike lane disappears. Not practical. All in all bike lanes around UL are impractical, poorly designed, unsafe and slow.

My question is why should I use the bike lanes instead of the road? I gain no advantage using them but many disadvantages.

Why should a pedestrian be a second class road user and yield at a minor junction when travelling along the main road?

You're on the cycle path, if a car is approaching from behind they are nowhere near you, unless they have mounted the footpath. Following your logic the path is not safe for a pedestrian as they face all the same problems. Yet most cyclist and pedestrians are able to use the cycle path fine, the only reason you have an issue with it is because you might have to yield and you don't want to.

Advertisement