Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Cyrus wrote: »
    Would you believe I agreed a deal on mine with WF yesterday , they had a VC overseas chronograph in freshly serviced that I have wanted for years at a sensible price and they allowed 9.5k for the GMT as a trade. Given I paid around 5.750 not much more than a year ago I thought it was a decent deal

Prices above are sterling btw

Nice, the VC is a stunning watch. There has been one on Adverts for a while, no papers though. If I was spending that type of money, I'd want the full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭893bet

eljono wrote: »
    Nice, the VC is a stunning watch. There has been one on Adverts for a while, no papers though. If I was spending that type of money, I'd want the full set.

From JPgraham? Seller is legit. Had the pleasure of doing a deal with him and viewing 3 watches of his.

893bet wrote: »
    From JPgraham? Seller is legit. Had the pleasure of doing a deal with him and viewing 3 watches of his.

Sure, not doubting the seller at all. Just saying that if I were to put a large sum of money into any watch, personally I'd want the full set for peace of mind and to help protect the value.

I have bought cheaper watches without the papers or box where the monetary value isn't as significant for me.

Sure, not doubting the seller at all. Just saying that if I were to put a large sum of money into any watch, personally I'd want the full set for peace of mind and to help protect the value.

I have bought cheaper watches without the papers or box where the monetary value isn't as significant for me.

Agree to an extent. And I generally buy only full sets. But if the price is right then it makes no difference. All the boxes and papers are dumped in the attic.

Only needed at resale. And if the price is right then resale is no issue

893bet wrote: »
    Agree to an extent. And I generally buy only full sets. But if the price is right then it makes no difference. All the boxes and papers are dumped in the attic.

Only needed at resale. And if the price is right then resale is no issue

I agree with what you're saying, however my experience of trying to sell a high-end piece without papers is that even if the price is right, at this end of the market, buyers typically want the full set making it harder to offload. But as you say, it's only an issue if you look to move on that piece in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah that's nice

The one I bought is the newer model 42mm with the patterned dial and Maltese cross bracelet

Service was over £1k 😳

Ok, sorry for going off topic... Here's my daily: Mk40 triple date. Love this watch, I've always wanted a Speedie, but couldn't live with manual wind for a daily and wanted date function. I'm also a fan of day-dates and calendar watches, so the Mk40 for me ticks a lot of boxes.

However I'm now considering getting a watch with GMT function for travel, as resetting the time/day/date can be annoying, sometimes having to cycle through all months, if going "back in time". The problem is, it would need to be something special to move the Speedie from my wrist, I enjoy wearing it so much.

IMG-20191026-103727-01.jpg

That’s not you selling that on adverts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ok, sorry for going off topic... Here's my daily: Mk40 triple date. Love this watch, I've always wanted a Speedie, but couldn't live with manual wind for a daily and wanted date function. I'm also a fan of day-dates and calendar watches, so the Mk40 for me ticks a lot of boxes.
    I like that E. It's all the watches in one. :) I can see why it would be difficult to find anything that would replace it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭micks_address

00000img-00000-burst20191026231435975-cover.jpg

Night sight mode

img-20191026-231359.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@micks_address, lovely lume shot.
    I've came across a little trick recently over on Reddit for Lume shots that really gives amazing shots.

If you have a "night mode" on your phone, enable it take the shot and marvel at the results.

banie01 wrote: »
    @micks_address, lovely lume shot.
    I've came across a little trick recently over on Reddit for Lume shots that really gives amazing shots.

If you have a "night mode" on your phone, enable it take the shot and marvel at the results.

Yeah I've always been a bit disappointed with the lume on my aqua Terra..last night though staying in parents and they have bright florescent lights in kitchen..think that must have charged it up well as it really stood out in dark room after

Yeah I've always been a bit disappointed with the lume on my aqua Terra..last night though staying in parents and they have bright florescent lights in kitchen..think that must have charged it up well as it really stood out in dark room after

That night sight shot is lovely. It really does pick up and enhance the luminance to show off the lume at its best.

Here's one of mine with night mode on, it really makes the lume seem radiant.
    493836.jpg

We could start a guess the watch from lume shot competition :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

103 year old Longines with Seiko lume applied by yours truly. Glows like a beast and is legible overnight too(Helps that it's thickly applied). Hell it's that bright in a lit room. IMHO Seiko lume is the best (non radioactive)*lume as a general rule.

493848.jpg

*Fresh tritium is fantastic and doesn't need charging by light of course. Apparently Radium was spookily bright. My dad told me that on a watch with large numerals painted in it, you could easily read by it. Then again growing an extra mutated head isn't such a great look...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I have a syringe of Superlume and am really really tempted to relume my Sinn as while it does charge up and glow, it doesn't last any real time at all.

Its a long way off and much, much practice before I ever try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fresh tritium is fantastic and doesn't need charging by light of course.

Hopefully I can post a picture late in the coming week of exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

We could start a guess the watch from lume shot competition :)

Gwan so:D

IMG-20191027-200111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Posted these before it really does glow. My youngest daughter loves watching the second hand sweeping around when I tuck her in at night.

472923.jpg472924.jpg

7 hours, 40 minutes and 37 seconds later in total darkness!
    472925.jpg

Seiko lume for the win alright. When I use it to titivate old watches that used to have radium I add in a hint of a tint of black/brown/green pigments to match the old lume and even with that diluting the lume it still glows like a bulb. Undiluted you need sunscreen. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Would you believe I agreed a deal on mine with WF yesterday , they had a VC overseas chronograph in freshly serviced that I have wanted for years at a sensible price and they allowed 9.5k for the GMT as a trade. Given I paid around 5.750 not much more than a year ago I thought it was a decent deal

Prices above are sterling btw

Someone else was interested in the vc and apparent paid 5 min before I did

Gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

njburke wrote: »
    Having promised myself I wasn't going to buy more watches this year but instead concentrate on repairs and servicing, I cracked and bought an Oceanus T200.
    I have the Oceanus S100 titatnium but the T200 in steel was different enough for me to plump for it.
    The T200 has many of the same features as the S100 ,solar, Radio sync, perpetual calendar etc but also has bluetooth connectivity for NNTP time sync, updates to DST calendars, power reserve indicators etc.
    I had hoped it would show how much accumulated error is corrected between time syncs but, alas no.

Hey, did you have to order it online, or get it from an irish shop?

funkyouup wrote: »
    Hey, did you have to order it online, or get it from an irish shop?

If it's any help I got my S100 from https://www.seiyajapan.com/

They have the other versions too.

Someone else was interested in the vc and apparent paid 5 min before I did

Gutted

Disappointing! I think the plain 3 hander is more of a looker. Suspect there will be a few on TZ this year but also that they will be in demand when they pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

hitemfrank wrote: »
    If it's any help I got my S100 from https://www.seiyajapan.com/

They have the other versions too.

Thanks Frank, they have a great selection. I was hoping to get it from a Euro shop to avoid a long wait in customs and a handling fee comming up to christmas but they seem to be JDM mainly.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Thanks Frank, they have a great selection. I was hoping to get it from a Euro shop to avoid a long wait in customs and a handling fee comming up to christmas but they seem to be JDM mainly.

I think watch took about a week from order to delivery. Customs charges were pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

DW-5600BB-1ER

1y4i2Rt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

New purchase and new strap arrived yesterday, too. Looks absolutely lovely in the flesh.

Seiko SKX013 on zuludiver vintage tropical strap.

494123.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Its amazing how much a strap can add to a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its amazing how much a strap can add to a watch.

It is. I'm not a fan of the original rubber strap with those big ripples but to be fair I was surprised how solid that strap is at the same time. Its a good quality strap, I'm just not a fan of it. I think not many people are.

The Zuludiver looks really great on it. The picture doesn't do the watch justice at all. It looks real quality, I'm very pleased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement