Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the earliest/latest you've ever hit the road for a run?

• 16-07-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

What's the earliest time you've ever the hit the road for a run?

Or if you're a night owl, what's the latest?

I often set the alarm for 5am, but don't manage to start until 5.30am. I think I came home at 10 or 11pm a few times, not that extreme!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I've gone out as early as 4.30am and as late as 11-11.30pm, so it was obviously after midnight when I finished those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

4.30am on both accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

tang1 wrote: »
    4.30am on both accounts.

On both accounts, meaning you once stayed up until 4.30am and then went for a run?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

On both accounts, meaning you once stayed up until 4.30am and then went for a run?!

Got home from work at 4.30am and went for a run. Often used to go running at that time when i worked in Clontarf and was on nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've gone out for a recovery run at 11pm. If its the only time you can do it, its the only time.

No way would I do a sesssion at that time though.

One of my favourite runs of the year is a light jog at 10pm around June 21st when its still bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Used to run at 10pm a lot while I was working on my masters. Never been a morning person so haven't gone earlier than 7am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Earliest is 5.40am, latest is about 9.45pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Did a session last week at 12.30am finished up shortly before 2. Area is well lit, cycle lanes empty so is perfect and peaceful,

Earliest was probably 5am after an airport run where there was no way in hell I was getting back to bed,

To be honest time of session doesn't bother me too much provided you are getting proper recovery around them, one mans mad is another mans routine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I once got up at 3:30 am for a long run. Got some heckling from a group of boy racers on their way home, apart from that one scene it was a very quiet run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

12 miler at 5 am this morning is earliest - latest was probably 8pm. I'm a morning person :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I must be the laziest person here!
    9am earliest and 8pm latest!
    Although there was one morning i did a drunken run about 6 am but that was definitely an exception!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

5am is the earliest I would get out... often get some shouts of encouragement and the odd race from the drunk people on the way home!! :D

9.30pm the latest, and that would be for something short...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

7am earliest, 11pm or midnight latest, though I haven't been doing much of either lately unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On a regular work day it's been around 6:30am, however I value whatever extra few minutes I can get in bed these days so it's been a long time since I've done that.

As for lateness, finishing up after 10 hasn't been unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Earliest 3:30 - 4am a few times before catching the redeye.
    Latest, can recall running shortly after landing in Hyderabad a few times at 5:30 am local time which would be midnight or 1am depending on the time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tried so many times to do a 7-8 am run. Just couldn't get up. Horrible feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Haven't run between 1am and 4 am. Run at every time in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

05:00 and 23:00. 05:00 was the best…no one on the roads apart from one squad car pulled up beside me for a long look. Reckon they musta thought anyone running to/from anywhere at 5 bells has done SOMETHING :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Earliest - never before 7am - and only that early a handful of times

Latest: up to near midnight a few times
    saucyjack wrote: »
    one squad car pulled up beside me for a long look. Reckon they musta thought anyone running to/from anywhere at 5 bells has done SOMETHING :)

I got the same thing the weekend before last and it was only about 11:00pm ona Saturday night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Earliest is DIL run every year ~4.AM. Started a 20 miler one night at 10 P.M and finished at 1 A.M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Last winter it was 5:00-5:30am starts - on country roads its only me,my head torch and the odd bemused commuter!, never really did late runs however my current plan is to run evenings but so far 5pm is the latest, don't think I'd be able to go for a run once I got comfy after dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

probably a trail run at around 4:30 AM in Bellevue. Hadn't a clue where I was going and predictably got lost in the dark with no torch. Was never so happy to see a road in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

earliest would be 6:30

latest probably 10 pm ..ish

Although I suspect the early runs will have to get earlier leading into marathon training :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

5:30am - 11:30 pm

But back in the day 3 am runs home from the pub were very common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Had a mate visiting from America, and we went up to Belfast which threw my schedule off a bit. Instead of going to bed (I knew I'd get up late and come up with an excuse not to run), just decided to go for a run right as the sun was coming up, so around 4am it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I do all my weekday runs before work so I'm regularly on the road from 5am onwards, something smashing about been out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

tang1 wrote: »
    Got home from work at 4.30am and went for a run. Often used to go running at that time when i worked in Clontarf and was on nights.

Must have been before the 10 hour shifts were introduced!!!

Up to last month I could proudly say never before 7am.

But bharte here has dragged me out on a couple of 40km + cross country efforts at 5 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Earliest 5:30 am, latest probably only 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not a big fan of late night running myself; takes ages to get sleep after. Latest I would have headed out is only 9pm or so.

Have gotten up at 4am before for an LSR before a 7.30am meeting; generally though the earliest I'd go is out the door is at 5.45/6.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Plenty of 4:30-5am starts for LSR's and recovery run. I've often tried to do tempo runs early in the morning but it never goes well!
    Nothing better than getting home before the rest of the family is up on a Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Earliest 5.20 am after airport run, just this week as it happens.Latest probably about 11pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

sideswipe wrote: »
    Nothing better than getting home before the rest of the family is up on a Saturday or Sunday.

And then going for a nap!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Latest has been maybe 10pm, earliest has been 4.30am for a long run coming up to conn ultra this year.

Used to do all my running in the evenings but last year I switched to mornings and I love it and would hate to go back to evenings! Most mornings I'm out at 6-6.30am.

It can be odd in the winter as I've the head torch and I see very few cars (if at all) once I'm on the back country roads,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

For those of you running at 5/6am what time are you going to bed?
    I would imagine in the summer it is lovely to be running with the sun coming up. If I dont get 8 hours of solid sleep my immune system gets weak even after a single night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I usually try be in bed before 10 and as close to 9 as I can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I used to get up at 5 am to go running when I started january 2013, I never looked out at the weather just opened the door and out I went, Ran in sleet and snow, driving rain and enjoyed every minute of it.

latest run would have been 10 or 11 at night on really warm days last year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I think it was 1990 or 91, there was a 5k road race that started at 11:50pm on New Years Eve and ran around the Liberties in Dublin, passing St Patricks as the bells were ringing in the new year. An amazing event... would love it to be on again. I place top 3 that night and won a lamp that is still working in my mothers house. Those were the good old days!!!

So I guess that's the earliest and latest runs, both at the same event.

How anyone (non elite or non competitor) drags themselves out of bed to go for a run is beyond me. Fair enough, running to work means you are getting up anyway, but to drah yourself out of a sleep to run?:eek:

Earliest I'd run on a day off would be 1000 hrs!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

walshb wrote: »
    How anyone (non elite or non competitor) drags themselves out of bed to go for a run is beyond me. Fair enough, running to work means you are getting up anyway, but to drah yourself out of a sleep to run?:eek

I used to think that, but doing it in the morning leaves your entire day free. It also warms you up, wakes you up and it means you don't have to shower again in the evening after running as you can just shower after a morning run.

At this stage, regardless of if I'm working or weekend/holiday I'll still wake up early and have no problem going for a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Latest was a 10miler 00:30 til 01:45. I prefare to run late at night, nobody around,
    The thoughts of getting out of bed to go out on an early run would be enough to put me off running,
    :-) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

How anyone (non elite or non competitor) drags themselves out of bed to go for a run is beyond me. Fair enough, running to work means you are getting up anyway, but to drah yourself out of a sleep to run?:eek:

Finally! A normal person.

This thread is confirmation that you are all addicts and that the majority here suffer from a sever case of OCD. You people need professional help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Many of us train to race. Most races are on in the morning.

Many of us train to race. Most races are on in the morning.

I don't find it odd/crazy for racers/competitor to be up at 'ungodly' hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Gavlor wrote: »
    Finally! A normal person.

You find WalshB to be a normal person and you're saying everyone else needs professional help ?

WalshB, it's a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I don't find it odd/crazy for racers/competitor to be up at 'ungodly' hours.
    I do find it strange at times. I get up at 8am every day for work. At weekends, I invariably end up getting up earlier than I do during the working week (for races or group runs). Running is the scourge of weekends and lie-ins.

PaulieC wrote: »
    You find WalshB to be a normal person and you're saying everyone else needs professional help ?

Only non elite and non racers who struggle out of deep sleeps to pound the pavements for 60 minutes covering a staggering 5-6 k!:)

I do find it strange at times. I get up at 8am every day for work. At weekends, I invariably end up getting up earlier than I do during the working week (for races or group runs). Running is the scourge of weekends and lie-ins.

So true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ah there's nothing like a 5 am run in the local park with the dew on the grass and the birds singing to start off a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I would often set the alarm for 5am and be out for 5.15-5.30 am certainly no earlier!!

On the other end of the scale if I rolled over when the alarm went off it could be 10pm before I finish my run.

I did once go for a run after coming home from the pub prob about 2am.. I don't know is that in the latest or earliest category though!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement