Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey Protein best flavour

Options
  • 30-07-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently started a structured fitness plan with a trainer. I'm pondering which Whey protein to buy, the main ones she has recommended are PHD Diet Whey/ ON Gold Standard 100%/ Reflex Instant Whey Pro/ FA Whey.. She also mentioned SciTec, PHD, and BSN.

My main aim is to lose weight / tone up, I'm not looking to build large muscles..

I'm looking for recommendations on which Whey powder to buy...as a 'newbie' I'm focused on TASTE for the minute until I get used to it. I've tried ON Gold Standard Chocolate and it didn't taste great.. I'll be adding it to my porridge and protein pancakes mainly and an odd shake as per my plan.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i loved myprotein mocha flavour, bannoffee was quite nice too although it was more banana than toffee I found and it was a quite artificial banana flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I'm a massive fan of mint chocolate flavour protein. It's the one flavour I always go back to and never seem to get sick of. Not sure if ON do that one, but myprotein definitely does.

I always try to stay away from fruity flavours because they're not as versatile for recipes and after I while I find they start to taste sickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Plain old vanilla from myprotein suits me just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just as an aside, has the trainer specified how much protein you should be getting a day?

Anyway, MyProtein has one of the highest protein content on the market, which means there's less filler sh*t in it. And it's a fraction of the price of ON.

Taste-wise, it's vanilla all the whey...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Anne1989 wrote: »
    I've recently started a structured fitness plan with a trainer. I'm pondering which Whey protein to buy, the main ones she has recommended are PHD Diet Whey/ ON Gold Standard 100%/ Reflex Instant Whey Pro/ FA Whey.. She also mentioned SciTec, PHD, and BSN.

Just get MyProtein Impact whey. Whey is a basic product, you're not getting anything better for paying more.

I find chocolate mixed with milk is delicious.

Also don't be worried about getting big muscles. No one ever woke up one day horrified at how big their muscles had suddenly gotten. If you worked yourself to death five times a week for the next year you'd still be no where near what anyone would consider "too muscly". You should try to gain muscle because muscles helps people looked fit and sexy and it burns calories all the time, helping to keep your bodyfat down. "Toned" means "decent muscles and low body fat".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Taste wise my preference is with dymatize and ON's. I used to order from the US. This was years and years ago, when a euro got you about $1.50. I used to order it by the shed load worked out about €20 per 5lb pot when shops were looking for €55-60. These days, I just use my protein. I find the mix ability not as good but I can't fault the price.

Herself is trying to lose weigh so we use MP impact diet whey. I think if i suggested the normal the stuff, she would be afraid muscles would pop out all over her body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Taste wise my preference is with dymatize and ON's. I used to order from the US. This was years and years ago, when a euro got you about $1.50. I used to order it by the shed load worked out about €20 per 5lb pot when shops were looking for €55-60. These days, I just use my protein. I find the mix ability not as good but I can't fault the price.

Herself is trying to lose weigh so we use MP impact diet whey. I think if i suggested the normal the stuff, she would be afraid muscles would pop out all over her body.

As far as I know, the diet whey is exactly the same as regular whey, but adds ingredients like green tea extract (I think) with no massive benefit when comparing the costs. Stick with the regular impact whey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Plain old vanilla from myprotein suits me just fine!
    Just as an aside, has the trainer specified how much protein you should be getting a day?

Anyway, MyProtein has one of the highest protein content on the market, which means there's less filler sh*t in it. And it's a fraction of the price of ON.

Taste-wise, it's vanilla all the whey...

I take the same as the above 2 posters. I think the vanilla is nice with water, and even nicer with milk!

These days, I just use my protein. I find the mix ability not as good but I can't fault the price.

Have to say, I've never found that.

Shake harder, ffs :p

But sometimes you don't leave enough room and it doesn't matter how hard you shake, and sometimes there's a blob stuck to the side that won't move no matter what. Feckin workout all of its own.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    But sometimes you don't leave enough room and it doesn't matter how hard you shake, and sometimes there's a blob stuck to the side that won't move no matter what. Feckin workout all of its own.

Shake-Weight-Product-300x300_0.jpg?itok=RFhv8a8t

dorgasm wrote: »
    As far as I know, the diet whey is exactly the same as regular whey, but adds ingredients like green tea extract (I think) with no massive benefit when comparing the costs. Stick with the regular impact whey.

I think it is more of a meal replacement, they have added oats for filler. I know enough to know that one shake isn't going to make the man. It is my overall diet that has to be in order. It keeps her happy and we are both eating healthier in the last few months. It was her own idea too, so that a plus.

If you look at the stats for Diet Whey it sounds like a gimmick. Only 61% protein compared to 82% for the regular stuff. But it actually has more carbs than the normal whey (14% vs 5%). Whey is never going to be a major source of calories, and the protein will help you feel full, so I'd just go with the regular stuff. The only reason to consume whey is for high quality protein, so what's the point in eating the one with less protein? Just have a smaller dose of the regular stuff if you want less calories.

Zillah wrote: »
    If you look at the stats for Diet Whey it sounds like a gimmick. Only 61% protein compared to 82% for the regular stuff. But it actually has more carbs than the normal whey (14% vs 5%). Whey is never going to be a major source of calories, and the protein will help you feel full, so I'd just go with the regular stuff. The only reason to consume whey is for high quality protein, so what's the point in eating the one with less protein? Just have a smaller dose of the regular stuff if you want less calories.

I know all that. I am just taking the path of least resistant with herself. I would prefer the protein powder, not that I am that focused, on counting protein with my current goals; just that I can add oat myself at less than a euro a kilo in the major supermarkets, they don't break the bank. Mostly just being sensitive to her needs. She nearly sent her virtue bars back when they changed the colour of the box. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have the chocolate peanut butter from My Protein and never again. I'm throwing out about 500g of 1kg of protein coz I could never stomach the taste without milk and it's now 3 months out of date. I've ordered the unflavoured 500g from bulk powders. I'm keeping it unflavoured so I can put it in pancakes and yogurt.

Although I'm a fan of chocolate orange and I was really tempted to order that flavour. Better safe than sorry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Vanilla is my favourite, ideally with milk. My protein is my preferred - I find it mixes better than the bulk powders.

I tend to use strawberry flavour in my fruit smoothies. Just ordered my protein strawberry cream - will up date when it arrives.

I do also have a chocolate flavour, but to be honest it didn't really do it for me.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I have the chocolate peanut butter from My Protein and never again. I'm throwing out about 500g of 1kg of protein coz I could never stomach the taste without milk and it's now 3 months out of date. I've ordered the unflavoured 500g from bulk powders. I'm keeping it unflavoured so I can put it in pancakes and yogurt.

Although I'm a fan of chocolate orange and I was really tempted to order that flavour. Better safe than sorry though.

Oh My God I tried "peanut cookie" and it was utterly revolting. Like, borderline undrinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Myprotein , chocolate mint 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Where does everyone buy their protein powder from?

Talula_d wrote: »

A lot of people use MyProtein, Bulk Powders and TheProteinWorks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Talula_d wrote: »
    myprotein or bulk powders. Not much difference in price (although I try to wait for the best offers), but whether it's real or imagined, I find the myprotein mixes a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Thanks I'll have a look this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A lot of people use MyProtein, Bulk Powders and TheProteinWorks.

I would add bespoke supplements and gonutrition to that list - have used both and they sometimes have good coupon code offers.

I would add bespoke supplements and gonutrition to that list - have used both and they sometimes have good coupon code offers.

Haven't heard of Bespoke. GN was set up by the same chap that set up MyProtein so I'm sure it can't be bad. Just haven't looked at it too often because got really good value deals that'll see me through to 2016 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

strawberry myprotein is probably the only one I never get sick of

I need to order more soon though so I might try chocolate orange as well ...

Vanilla + Liberte/Faaaaaage = taaaaaay-steh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Haven't heard of Bespoke. GN was set up by the same chap that set up MyProtein so I'm sure it can't be bad. Just haven't looked at it too often because got really good value deals that'll see me through to 2016 :)

They do a mean Raspberry Bakewell flavour :D:D
    They do a mix and match offer on the 1kg bags which is good for people like me with short flavour-attention-spans :o Tried them out once when I had a 30% off code which was good value. They don't have much of a selection product-wise compared to the other bulk suppliers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnnyASmith

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'm a massive fan of mint chocolate flavour protein. It's the one flavour I always go back to and never seem to get sick of. Not sure if ON do that one, but myprotein definitely does.

I always try to stay away from fruity flavours because they're not as versatile for recipes and after I while I find they start to taste sickly.

I second this.

I don't like fruity flavors as they tend to taste very "synthetic"... I tried once with a banana flavor and it tasted disgusting... ended up giving it to a friend who didn't mind the flavour.

Advertisement