Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dieting basics that a five year old can understand

Options
  • 18-07-2015 7:40pm

I'm trying to adjust my diet, but I'm finding it exceedingly hard to get started, because I just don't understand it whatsoever. I'm not sure what would be considered good carbs, proteins, fats etc. etc.

I've been looking online and I'm told by Eat This Much (and other places) that I should be consuming in or around 2,200 calories a day, in order to reach my goal - currently I weigh 13 stone and would ideally like to be between 12 1/2 - 12 stone.

Only thing is that I don't know anything about how to diet properly or any clue on how to adjust my current one whatsoever.

Could anyone please give me possible dieting tips/tricks for that a five year old would be able to understand?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

log your diet into myfitnesspal. eat 3-500 calories under your tdee (the 2,200 calories a day) and wait while the weight falls off. don't eyeball or guesstimate portions, we are terrible at that as a species. buy an electronic kitchen scales. surgically attach it to your hip.

//edit waaaaiiit. i misread. if the 2200 calories is what you should be eating TO lose the weight then eat the 2200 calories, dont subtract the 3-500. that'd be totes cray cray //

as you wait, educate yourself about the basics of nutrition and apply the knowledge you've gained as weeks turn into months.

it's just like learning anything else. you're not going to be fluent in french after your first week of a language course but the more practiced you get and the more you immerse yourself the quicker you'll pick things up until it just feels natural.

around 50g protein is a minimum for an adult male so aim for between that and 100g, protein is quite filling although it can be expensive. if you're not focusing on building muscle you don't need to go terribly high.
    get about .4 X bodyweight in lb's of fat (so if you're 13 stone. that's 13x14=182 lb's. x .4 = 73g of fat a day), you may need to adjust up or maybe even adjust down over the weeks as you figure out what works best for you. some good fats can be found in eggs,bacon, oily fish, nuts/seeds, olive oil/coconut oil/butter (butter! not margarine).. although i think olive oil is generally best left unheated or at least only cooked on a low heat.
    the rest of your calories comes from carbs. storebought bread isn't the devil, it's just not terribly filling and it has ****ing godawful nutrition. potatoes are great, just don't deep fry them, they're very filling too. brown/white rice doesn't make a god damn difference, eat whichever you prefer. eat as many vegetables as you can, frozen is fine, don't bother with organic. eat lots of fruit, just be mindful of the calories. beans are excellent. i like pinto beans, 1.89 for a bag in tesco, cook em up, tupperware em in the fridge. good source of energy, protein and fibre.

'eat ingredients, not things made from ingredients' is a nice little catchphrase. it's probably bollocks but it's a nice idea.

if you are concerned with nutrition and your diet you can enter a daily average into cronometer.com and it will point out any glaring nutritional deficiencies.

tldr. focus on calories if you are trying to lose weight. don't trip yourself up with details. you'll learn as you go along. here's some confusing details anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Could anyone please give me possible dieting tips/tricks for that a five year old would be able to understand?

Eat your vegetables

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've never seen https://www.eatthismuch.com/ before - looks like a good site! It does produce a meal plan for you, so why not take inspiration from that?

Another idea is to go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/, log everything for a week and see if you can figure out where you're going wrong.

Measure/weight EVERYTHING! What you think looks like 25g of peanut butter could be 100g. And there's a huge difference.

You could also post up a typical days grub here. With the weight of the food you've eaten.

A lot of people find that just replacing a lot of carbs for lots of protein, and filling the plate with veg is enough to get the extra weight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This is one of my favourite sites. Every point it makes has links to peer-reviewed sources. The nutrition section is a great reference point.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Dieting basics:
    • Eat fresh food. Meat/chicken/fish/Vegetables/Fruit.
    • Make your own sauces. Do not buy jars of Dolmio/Uncle bens etc.
    • The only things that should be bought in the "aisles" of supermarkets: Oil - Olive/Coconut. Coconut Milk. Spices/Salt/Pepper. Nut Butter. Tins of tomatoes (check no sugar added for both of these). Tomato Paste. Garlic Paste is OK. Brown Rice. Porridge. If you want to eat Pasta, choose wholewheat (if I've forgotten anything someone might point it out please :))
    • Weigh your food.
    • Use MyfitnessPal to count your calories ensuring to include everything that passes your lips, even drinks.

If you stick to those rules, you will lose weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Dieting basics:
    • The only things that should be bought in the "aisles" of supermarkets: Oil - Olive/Coconut. Coconut Milk. Spices/Salt/Pepper. Nut Butter. Tins of tomatoes (check no sugar added for both of these). Tomato Paste. Garlic Paste is OK. Brown Rice. Porridge. If you want to eat Pasta, choose wholewheat (if I've forgotten anything someone might point it out please :))
    • Weigh your food.
    • Use MyfitnessPal to count your calories ensuring to include everything that passes your lips, even drinks.

Ah jaysus, no rasher sambos?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I was always a fan of Billy Connolly' diet plan "eat less, move more"

galljga1 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, no rasher sambos?

Of course.

Just replace bread with more rashers :D

A-pile-of-bacon-rashers-013.jpg

Dieting basics:
    • Weigh your food.

That's all great advice. I'm actually going to try and use these. Bought a kitchen scales yesterday, so just learning how to enter it into myfitnesspal properly.

I always thought that my diet was pretty OK, rarely eat junk food, cook as much as I can from scratch, but I guess I have to just reexamine my diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think you need to try and understand a bit more about nutrition as well rather than just following some guidelines blindly because they're good.

I think everyone should, in any case. It just makes a lot of this much easier to understand the what and the why. I know it has for me.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm trying to understand, but can't make heads nor tails of what I read.

Though I do like sticking to guidelines :pac:

That's what I'm trying to understand, but can't make heads nor tails of what I read.

Though I do like sticking to guidelines :pac:

Check out sigmanutrition.com. Danny Lennon makes a lot of nutrition stuff very easy to understand.

The stickies in the Fitness and Nutrition & Fiet forums as well are a good starting point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I think you need to try and understand a bit more about nutrition as well rather than just following some guidelines blindly because they're good.

I think everyone should, in any case. It just makes a lot of this much easier to understand the what and the why. I know it has for me.

yeah but it's like math in school. you learn the theorems just by doing and doing and doing and doing and then after a while it clicks and you're all "oh.. right.. that's why we do it this way"

if you set out trying to learn the theory behind it at first you'll just make your head melt and get nowhere.

if you like sticking to guidelines OP then check out paleo. it's 99% horse**** but it does focus on "real" foods and there are blogs upon blogs of recipe ideas and shopping lists for you to follow until you've found your footing.

strelok wrote: »
    yeah but it's like math in school. you learn the theorems just by doing and doing and doing and doing and then after a while it clicks and you're all "oh.. right.. that's why we do it this way"

if you set out trying to learn the theory behind it at first you'll just make your head melt and get nowhere.

I never said understand the ins and outs of what is a good idea to do and why it's a good idea before you do it.

Whoops had given some good, simple guidance. I just added that looking into it a bit more will help the OP in the long term.

Though I did like a good theorem....

What five year olds know about theroms? Pffft.

What five year olds know about theroms? Pffft.

How to spell them? ;)

How to spell them? ;)

Shhhuuussshhh. Damn phone!

Advertisement