Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much whey is too much

• 16-07-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Currently i'm 148 lbs and taking in about 160-170g protein per day.

I get 40g of that with my post workout shake, and the rest with eggs and chicken.

Was just wondering would it make any difference if i cut back on the chicken and upped my whey consumption another 20g during the day.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

why would you want to cut back on actual food to include more whey?

also 160-170g protein is probably overkill for someone your size. bodyweight in lbs x .7 gives 103.6g a day. it's not a hard rule (especially as it's meant to be lean mass x .7) but it's a hell of a difference between that and 170

anyway to answer your question, no. protein is protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Sorry i forgot to state the reason is because of cost and I'm a student.

Ive always taken it as 1g per pound of bodyweight at a minimum?

Im trying to get from 15%bf to 10%, if that helps.

Thanks for your reply

iirc no benefit to muscle building was found after .7g per lb. it doesn't make a huge difference, there's just a lot of misinformation thrown about by people with vested interests in making sure people consume as much protein (preferably through supplementation) as possible. you'd have to eat quite a bit more than 170g a day to get any health risks from it or anything like that

ill leave the rest of your question to people who know what they're talking about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You need a balanced diet. If you consumed generic protein, generic carbs, generic lipids, you would die. You need all the traces of metals, salts & other goo that is found in food.

Removing real food to allow generic protein is long term poor.

Beans are a cheap source of protein (not the baked type)

aldi and lidl both have tinned salmon too, something like 1.19 a tin. 40g protein, good healthy fats and riddled with nutrients and things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

TommyJoe15 wrote: »
    Sorry i forgot to state the reason is because of cost and I'm a student.

Ive always taken it as 1g per pound of bodyweight at a minimum?

Im trying to get from 15%bf to 10%, if that helps.

Thanks for your reply

Minimum is 0.36 per lb. So that is 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man, 46 for women, you eat more when training for those sick gainz but 1g per pound is not needed.
    2007 report from the World Health Organization (WHO): From section 7.10, first para (bottom of page 125): "The requirement indicated by the meta-analysis (6) (a median requirement of 105 mg nitrogen/kg per day or 0.66 g/kg per day of protein) can be accepted as the best estimate of a population average requirement for healthy adults." And: "...the safe level was identified as the 97.5th percentile of the population distribution of requirement, i.e. 133 mg nitrogen/kg per day, or 0.83 g/kg per day protein. Thus 0.83 g/kg per day protein would be expected to meet the requirements of most (97.5%) of the healthy adult population."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Whey too much

Whey too much

you magnificent bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

The benefit (to me) of going over 0.7 or 1g or protein per lb of bodyweight is that it then leaves a lot less room for carbs/fats, which for my body is beneficial in terms of composition and energy, despite what any study says.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

strelok wrote: »
    iirc no benefit to muscle building was found after .7g per lb. it doesn't make a huge difference, there's just a lot of misinformation thrown about by people with vested interests in making sure people consume as much protein (preferably through supplementation) as possible. you'd have to eat quite a bit more than 170g a day to get any health risks from it or anything like that

ill leave the rest of your question to people who know what they're talking about :)

Where does this 0.7 x lean mass come from, I'd like to read about it :)

• Advertisement

i tried to find it and can't...maybe i've been bull****ting people all this time

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html i was pretty sure i read it on examine but it doesn't say that here. i guess if you're quite athletic you wouldn't have much in the way of body fat to begin with so the recommendations there wouldn't be too far off .7g of lean body mass... but that's reaching pretty far to justify it

i'll keep looking and will edit the post if I find it but it may actually be that I've been mixing several different things i've read and passing them off as fact

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

found this too.... it at least mentions .7g per lb, but it's of total bodyweight not lean body mass. looks like i was actually mixing up several different things into one dubious little factoid.

Thanks I do appreciate the effort, and the ability to know if you've said something that may not be right, most people do anything to avoid that. Interesting thanks!

Advertisement