Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deli meat

• 26-07-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Folks, I eat deli meat every now and then, especially turkey as it's almost fat free, salt free ham and sometimes sliced beef, it's easy and convenient.
    I buy the deli meat mainly from the counter in different supermarkets, I am unsure if it's fresh and also I don't know what goes in it as there are no labels with the ingredients. Do you know what ingredients are on them? are they healthy? is there any similar alternative that is healthier? thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KevinMunster12

high in sodium, not the best. cook a fresh chicken breast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

alwald wrote: »
    Do you know what ingredients are on them? are they healthy? is there any similar alternative that is healthier? thanks.
    Not an expert, but this is my take....

They're processed meats. I don't know if they're much healthier, but most of the supermarkets (Aldi/ Lidl/ Tesco) have packs of roast turkey or roast chicken. Also processed, but I take them as not as processed/ bad as the deli style options.

I try to cook up chicken breasts (wrapped in kitchen foil, covered in any or combination of garlic or chilli from grinders, paprika, cayenne etc - I go 200 for 25-30 minutes), but normally have a pack or two of the options as a standby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Anything that doesn't come in bottle with a skull on the label is fine in moderation or on an "every now an again" basis, as you're implying is the case with your consumption of deli meats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Why would you buy from a Supermarket? Lidls prepared Chicken and Turkey, is Green Isle. Which is the "premium" prepared meats. They are cheap, tasty and look like actually chicken. They are Irish and the rotten Thai Chicken, that Tesco sells.

TBH I would just buy Turkey meat and do it yourself. Its cheap in Lidl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

A lot of it is meat close to going off in the fridges on the shop floor, so we sell it in the deli to get rid of it fast. Nothing wrong with it, its just taking up space in the back of the shop if it goes off as we have to wait for it to be taken back by the supplier. Im working in a shop the last few months haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

mattP wrote:
    A lot of it is meat close to going off in the fridges on the shop floor, so we sell it in the deli to get rid of it fast. Nothing wrong with it, its just taking up space in the back of the shop if it goes off as we have to wait for it to be taken back by the supplier. Im working in a shop the last few months haha

Can you put together the list of ingredients please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

alwald wrote:
    Can you put together the list of ingredients please?
    Nothing is added, its unpackaged, put in a bowl on display and then used throughout the day for wraps, sandwiches, whatever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

mattP wrote:
    Nothing is added, its unpackaged, put in a bowl on display and then used throughout the day for wraps, sandwiches, whatever

What I meant was the ingredients added to the meat prior to unpacking it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

alwald wrote: »
    What I meant was the ingredients added to the meat prior to unpacking it :)

It's just the meat that was pre packed and stocked in the fridge before it was used up in the deli.

• Advertisement

If I'm stuck for a snack I'll sometimes grab and apple and a packet of deli ham, but it would a rare enough thing.

Supervalu often have a small fillet of ham for a fiver, so that or a roast chicken would be preferable to a packet and you need to do feck all with them just put them in a pot/the oven . They'd be better than a packet of Denny but there are worst things in he world you could be eating and if it's not every day then what harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you've seen packaged/deli meat being "made" you'd reconsider.
    Every couple of weeks I buy uncooked turkey breast in lidl. Bring it home, cook it, slice it up( get over 20 slices ) and freeze them in tubs of 5 slices. It costs around €8. Can't go wrong with that

Advertisement