Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaxseed

Options
  • 20-07-2015 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I've been reading about the health benefits of flaxseed.

Just wondering if any of you use them and how you find it.

I'm worried about them tasting very bland - how much should I consume etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

it's pretty bland. kind of a nutty flavour. if you put it in porridge or oat bran it soaks up so much liquid and makes the whole thing kind of a chore to eat

i stopped bothering with it as I couldn't find a decent way to include it in my diet

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Thanks strelok...are the supplments just as good?

i don't know, i did some reading about it a couple of years back and i think the general consensus was that they're not but i wouldn't even put a fiver on that being accurate

if you really want to get some flaxseed in, what I did for a while was just throw 15-20g into a glass off water, mix it all up and down it in a couple of gulps. you do have to blend it up first as when it's not ground your body has an awful time digesting it, you get almost nothing from it. good news is you can grind loads at once and it will last for a couple of weeks in a sealed container in the fridge

maybe I should suck it up and just start taking it again. it's cheap and i guess downing a couple of gulps of weird seedy water every day isn't too much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I usually have it with oats in the morning or throw a handful in when I'm making granola. I use it in salads, flapjacks seed bars.

Thanks everyone.

Does't sound like the most appetising of things, but I might give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have it every day after work with Greek yoghurt. Today I had Fage Greek yoghurt, honey, strawberries flaxseed and pine-nuts! Usually have my "dinner" at lunch time, so I'd have this at dinner time. Also nice in porridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I stick it in overnight oats with honey and berries - don't even notice it. Just 2 teaspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

if you put it into a smoothie you dont notice them at all

right, got some flaxseed this morning on a whim. i blame you for everything upcork if they end up annoying me again

//edit

it's quite alright with a bit of the myprotein flavdrops. you live another day upcork

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

strelok wrote: »
    right, got some flaxseed this morning on a whim. i blame you for everything upcork if they end up annoying me again

You won't regret it.

Flaxseed is so hot right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Flaxseed is so hot right now.

I'm holding out for the new Flaxseed & Fage flavour Quest bar :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

I got a bag of milled flaxseed mixed with almonds, walnuts and other things...wouldn't be eating it by the spoonful but it tastes grand in porridge :D

strelok wrote: »

//edit

it's quite alright with a bit of the myprotein flavdrops. you live another day upcork

Sorry. I haven't gotten around to buying mine yet

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

I eat it with my weetabix in the morning. It's pretty bland.

Advertisement