Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi laptop €229

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hard to understand the passion for dissing the laptop and specs. I have a top class ultra book and a very capable gaming pc, but can instantly recognise that the specs of this laptop are not targeted at me or about 90% of people in this thread.

The same way the wetsuits or Gaa gear they sell will be bought by people for casual use and not the people who are already in that field, this laptop I would think would be used by non tech people who want to dip their toe into the online world. I'd say for each laptop sold, there is a corresponding call to a tech family member as 50 year old Mary and Paddy stand in the middle of Aldi trying to understand their nephew as they explain ram and ssd drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its not dissing. Its just explaining what this isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wouldn't touch that yoke, it's going to be an absolute dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

There is one left in Aldi Rathmines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,384 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Performance is good for what it is, mobile device that sips power. Performance is on par with something like ipad air or galaxy tab s which were high end tablets. The video capabilities are pretty good too with 4k playback or at least no issue with full hd content. It is running a full desktop OS.

If you want a laptop that will be used more like as a desktop replacement, plugged in 75% of the time, bit more comfortable size, bit heavier, bit more performance, there are probably more suitable laptops out there.

Windows not a perfect mobile platform but some nice advantages like playing video in one corner of screen and browsing web, proper multitasking, running full desktop apps etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

TheDoc wrote: »
    They rarely deal with returns themselves and constantly send you to the manufacturer. They pretty much breach consumer legislation all the time and people just accept it.

My father in law is five months waiting on manufacturer to pull the finger out replacing a chainsaw he bought.

I'd be weary buying anything in there of significant value.

You do not have to accept that. You are within your rights to deal with the point of sale regardless what they say. I got that crap from Currys a few years ago and said that I wanted them to deal with the supplier, which they did. The person I dealt with did not argue at all, he appeared to know that I had the right to return a faulty product to them for refund or repair. Their policy at the time was that if it was not sorted within two weeks, I was entitled to a refund or new product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Not worth buying, you can get better speced laptops for near enough the same price. Stay clear of Atom or Celeron. Tesco actually do good deals on laptops on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jaqian wrote: »
    Not worth buying, you can get better speced laptops for near enough the same price. Stay clear of Atom or Celeron. Tesco actually do good deals on laptops on occasion.

:rolleyes:

What nonsense. Ive used plenty of Atoms since they came out. Modern Atom processors are incredibly capable and power efficient processors. Full HD is no bother on any modern Atom (this device included), and it will suffice for most every day tasks (browsing, youtube, office tasks, even basic gaming through the app store).

This device is a web-book. Main use is for consuming online media, and general every day tasks that can store the result online. It's in the same class as a chromebook, or netbooks of old.

Advertisement