Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

changing my son's name to a double barrelled surname

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I got an invite to a pony club reunion once and it took me ages to stop laughing at it. It was sent by I assume the board of the club and all their names were at the bottom of it. There were I would say 9 or 10 names on it.......every single one of them double barelled:D.
    It made me laugh and wonder how the kids will manage...will they go treble or quadruple barelled when they marry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I think it really depends on the individual's situation. It's necessary for them to deal with the situation in the manner which will provide the best solution for their particular circumstances. If that means that the child would have a double-barelled surname, then so be it.

I remember when I was a kid in the early 90s, it was extremly unusual to come across a kid with a different surname to their mother, and if it did arise, we'd always ask lots of questions as to why that was the case. The kids never seemed to be bothered by it, and just explained things as they were. They were never singled out for it, nor was there any issue made of it by the kids, because it was explained to us by the child involved. I think the adults make more of an issue out of it than kids do.

I don't intend on changing my name when I get married, so my OH and I will just have to decide on the best solution to this scenario for our particular situation. It shouldn't matter what other people think. It's a personal decision, and once it's made for the correct reasons then there shouldn't be a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ted1 wrote: »
    Not a fan of double barrel names, I think its selfish. Do do.you expect their kids to have treble barrel. Or even quadruple barrel names

my son has double barrle name .never beem marreyd and iv brort him up sinse baby how can i drop one surname

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplepug

I have my surname on my sons birth cert as a middle name with his dads being the last name. As I am sole guardian at the moment I thought it a right decision for him to drop the fathers surname and use mine. I was advised, as I was guardian, to apply for passport with letters from play school and doctors stating common usage of my surname as his. So I did that, and have his passport as proof of his name. There is a line stating his "original" name that appears on birth cert. but now I have a recognized document all is well. Peoples circumstances change, so people need to judge less. My girls who carry their fathers surname(different from my sons) have expressed an interest in changing their surname to mine, so we all hve the same, I think they feel it important for the family unit. Their dad passed away before they were two, they are now 9. So as I said, circumstances change :) waffle over lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 TeresaDarling

We were warned by the registrar in 2005 about the hyphen between the names so I left it out, thankfully, maybe the registrar can spot couple who will last and couples who won't

Ours is a bit of a mad situation name wise my son was very upset about his parents having different names so I kept my married name for his sake (and I hate my maiden name)

He was 6 when I had my daughter and got very upset at her not having the same name as us, so she is called by my married name too but has her dads name minus the hyphen on her birth cert

For me I don't care once my kids are happy, my daughter is now 6 and uses her dads name sometimes but always my name at school because it is the same as her brothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Old thread, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement