Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did You ever vote Fianna Fail?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I never voted FF, my Father who I didn't always agree with was very astute politically and he explained how corrupt and dishonest FF was. This would be going back to the seventies. Our local FF TD was known to take money but like all FF and their supporters he didn't see what was wrong with it. Bertie Ahern is the classic example. Even now he really doesn't believe he did anything wrong so skewed are his morals. As for P Flynn, he and his daughter didn't care who knew but because he looked after his constituency everyone turned a blind eye.

It was always an open secret that FF was corrupt to the core and if you ever voted for them you are culpable too. EVERYONE who voted for those crooks.

It's not good enough to make the excuse that all politicians are corrupt, first off they're not. But FF worked the system to the utmost and were unapologetic about it. They saw it as their right.

In many countries most of them would be on trial right now or worse. Not so in Ireland. We allowed ourselves to be exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I have and more than likely will do so again. I think if we can focus on the youth and next generation of members, the party can overcome its turmoil and once again take its place in government as a reformed and reinvigorated entity. It will take a long time to win back the trust of the people and rightly so after the mess created but it will happen, make no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

fcussen wrote: »
    We're also perfectly entitled to chastise and ridicule you for doing so. Especially given that the myopic decision process of people like you when voting results in all of us having to suffer the almost unbroken rule of clueless gombeens whose fathers had the same job as them.

Really, you think so?, chastise me:confused:, r u actually serious?. The term socially retarded springs to mind immediately. Just a matter of interest, who would you consider voting for?. I'll vote for who I like, and if you don't like it, tough, have your say on the ballot box, but dont you dare come up with words like chastise, and insult my decision making process. If I was to insult people who voted FG and Lab in the last election because they were gullable enough to believe that all their promises would be fulfilled, then I would be here all year, but I wont disrespect or berate someone for making a choice that was solely theirs, and no one elses to make

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Yeah, Voted FF almost all the time.

but I am a bit odd I would read the policies in detail from each party and them make my decision.
    There policies are well explained and make sense most of the time.
    But do they stick to it. Well does any government stick to it policies??.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

margio wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, who I vote for is my business, so your the sad and pathetic one, if you can't respect some one elses views, then insult them. who the hell do you think you are?. You can't tell people who they should or should not vote for. How bloody dare you. I'm free to vote for who I like , when I like. It's called a democracy

Hold on a sec Margio before you get on your high horse .

You insulted me a few posts back by calling me a clown and received a warning

You also called someone else socially retarded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

Really, you think so?, chastise me:confused:, r u actually serious?. The term socially retarded springs to mind immediately. Just a matter of interest, who would you consider voting for?. I'll vote for who I like, and if you don't like it, tough, have your say on the ballot box, but dont you dare come up with words like chastise, and insult my decision making process. If I was to insult people who voted FG and Lab in the last election because they were gullable enough to believe that all their promises would be fulfilled, then I would be here all year, but I wont disrespect or berate someone for making a choice that was solely theirs, and no one elses to make

I have the feeling you are just trolling, but part of living in a free society which gives you a say in the government is that many people may vehemently disagree who you want that government to be and what you want it to do, and will be perfectly within their rights to call you an idiot because of who you vote for and why you vote for them. There is no law against voting for who you want and holding any foolish opinion you want; neither is there a law protecting you from mockery or ridicule from people who disagree with you.

I voted for Michael D. in the presidential election and the Sinn Fein candidate in the general election as a protest against accepting the IMF, not because I wanted him to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Can people put the handbags down and quit squabbling, thanks.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

I have the feeling you are just trolling, but part of living in a free society which gives you a say in the government is that many people may vehemently disagree who you want that government to be and what you want it to do, and will be perfectly within their rights to call you an idiot because of who you vote for and why you vote for them. There is no law against voting for who you want and holding any foolish opinion you want; neither is there a law protecting you from mockery or ridicule from people who disagree with you.

I voted for Michael D. in the presidential election and the Sinn Fein candidate in the general election as a protest against accepting the IMF, not because I wanted him to get in.

Don't you dare call me an idiot, says the one who votes for someone out of protest, that's not exactly a good reason to vote for someone.

raymon wrote: »
    Hold on a sec Margio before you get on your high horse .

You insulted me a few posts back by calling me a clown and received a warning

You also called someone else socially retarded
    Yeah, because you and others blatanly insulted my intelligence and my intentions. Why can't you accept that a persons politics is a matter of their opinion, and as the person who started this thread lividduck once pointed out in a different thread, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one:D. I just came on this thread to air my opinion and answer the question the thread poses, ''did I ever vote FF,and would I admit it''. I did so, only thinking I'd only be writing that single post, but I had other posters jumping down my throat. I'm not a die hard FF supporter, and in no way are they guranteed my vote in future elections. There's no doubt the party has been damaged beyond repair, by people who were very senior figures in the party.,and of course I'm sickened to the core, but according to some sources it was endemic amongst the dominant partys, including FG, so I seriously think it was the culture of the time, while those fat cat politicians were on the take Parents were struggling to put food and clothes on their children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

To my great shame I did(quite a while ago).

I apolgise to the people of Ireland for my foolishness and gullability.

I will never vote for the ffraudsters again and I consider anyone that could countenance voting for them as traitors to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

blinding wrote: »

I will never vote for the ffraudsters again and I consider anyone that could countenance voting for them as traitors to Ireland.

No need to apologise, binding. You'll vote for them again in the future. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

blinding wrote: »

#

Why did you vote for them in the first place?, I may vote for them in the future, but Im no traitor.

xflyer wrote: »
    I never voted FF, my Father who I didn't always agree with was very astute politically and he explained how corrupt and dishonest FF was. This would be going back to the seventies. Our local FF TD was known to take money but like all FF and their supporters he didn't see what was wrong with it. Bertie Ahern is the classic example. Even now he really doesn't believe he did anything wrong so skewed are his morals. As for P Flynn, he and his daughter didn't care who knew but because he looked after his constituency everyone turned a blind eye.

It was always an open secret that FF was corrupt to the core and if you ever voted for them you are culpable too. EVERYONE who voted for those crooks.

It's not good enough to make the excuse that all politicians are corrupt, first off they're not. But FF worked the system to the utmost and were unapologetic about it. They saw it as their right.

In many countries most of them would be on trial right now or worse. Not so in Ireland. We allowed ourselves to be exploited.

There were FG politicians corrupt aswell, and that is according to their own members, one of who said between half and two thirds of her colleages were on the take, and one would nearly be otracised if you didn't take bribes. Your Father was obviously anti FF, but in our parents generation, if you were allinged to one political party, you were anti the main opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

#

Why did you vote for them in the first place?, I may vote for them in the future, but Im no traitor.
    Young and gullable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

Yeah, because you and others blatanly insulted my intelligence and my intentions. Why can't you accept that a persons politics is a matter of their opinion, and as the person who started this thread lividduck once pointed out in a different thread, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one:D. I just came on this thread to air my opinion and answer the question the thread poses, ''did I ever vote FF,and would I admit it''. I did so, only thinking I'd only be writing that single post, but I had other posters jumping down my throat. I'm not a die hard FF supporter, and in no way are they guranteed my vote in future elections. There's no doubt the party has been damaged beyond repair, by people who were very senior figures in the party.,and of course I'm sickened to the core, but according to some sources it was endemic amongst the dominant partys, including FG, so I seriously think it was the culture of the time, while those fat cat politicians were on the take Parents were struggling to put food and clothes on their children.

Nobody said you weren't entitled to your opinion.

What you seem to be saying is that we're not entitled to the opinion that you are a fool because of who you vote for

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

FF in 2002 SF ever since - to be fair we don't have great options in North Tipp with Lowry, Smug Labour and Weak FG! Next General Election should be interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'v a good one for ye... Back in 2007 just before the GE our friend had just turned 18, He is from a rural background and would be considered to be fairly well educated, He got a place in UCC. So we're having a few smokes and discussing politics and I was criticizing FF. So I turned to my friend and asked him who he was going to vote for and how I hoped FG would form a government, Well he started laughing and said FG were a bunch of losers who never won anything and its FF all the way as everyone votes for them, Well I was in stitches, It was just a case of him jumping on the FF bandwagon.

to be fair we don't have great options in North Tipp with Lowry, Smug Labour and Weak FG! Next General Election should be interesting?

Why, it's hard to see any of the three you mention beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Wider Road wrote: »
    Why, it's hard to see any of the three you mention beaten.

By whom? Not FF surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    By whom? Not FF surely?
    It a bit early even by North Tipp standards to have a FF back next time round, but we have a while to go I suppose. What I hear locally is that a hell of a lot of people who voted Labour last time round regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

It a bit early even by North Tipp standards to have a FF back next time round, but we have a while to go I suppose. What I hear locally is that a hell of a lot of people who voted Labour last time round regret it.
    Judging by all opinion polls that applies nationally, Labour can look forward at the next election to what the Greens got bat the last one!

Nobody said you weren't entitled to your opinion.

What you seem to be saying is that we're not entitled to the opinion that you are a fool because of who you vote for

Well yeah, your not. it is not socially acceptable to call someone a fool. I think people were foolish, when they believed al of FG and Lab promises in the last election, or for people that think that FF were the only party whose politicians were on the take, but I wont call them fools. Get over it, if I want to vote for FF down the line, because I think their candidate is worthy enough, then I will vote for them, and I will not tolerate been called a fool by anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

fcussen and margio, there was an earlier mod warning to quit squabbling, and clearly that warning was ignored.

Don't post in this thread again - either one of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

lividduck wrote: »
    Judging by all opinion polls that applies nationally, Labour can look forward at the next election to what the Greens got bat the last one!

If there's not a split long before that.

I've always been hard left, obviously never gave so much as a preference to FF, nor to FG.

My abiding memory is a dinner in around 2005 with a few of my college cronies, a certain very prominent Ógra FF apparatchik, who subsequently went on to bigger things, giving it "now, you have us to thank for all of this" - felt like I was beating my head off a brick wall pointing out all the mistakes they were making, and the basic rottenness that had overtaken the party by that point.

Never been more sorry to have been proved correct on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

never have, partly because Ivor Callely & Sean Haughey were our local FFers when i started to vote so Richard Bruton always got my vote with Finian McGrath - until he went over to visit Sinn Fein's butterfly collectors/bomb makers in jail in colombia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Freddie59 wrote: »
    There will be many posting here who have, but who won't have the balls to admit it. And then there will be the smuggies.......
    yes i did vote ff in the past, the last time i voted it was labour, but hoping ff regroup with a new team with new blood,

bamboozle wrote: »
    never have, partly because Ivor Callely & Sean Haughey were our local FFers when i started to vote so Richard Bruton always got my vote with Finian McGrath - until he went over to visit Sinn Fein's butterfly collectors/bomb makers in jail in colombia

What are your views on Richard Bruton's brother John? Did FG get your vote while he was in charge?

charlemont wrote: »
    I'v a good one for ye... Back in 2007 just before the GE our friend had just turned 18, He is from a rural background and would be considered to be fairly well educated, He got a place in UCC. So we're having a few smokes and discussing politics and I was criticizing FF. So I turned to my friend and asked him who he was going to vote for and how I hoped FG would form a government, Well he started laughing and said FG were a bunch of losers who never won anything and its FF all the way as everyone votes for them, Well I was in stitches, It was just a case of him jumping on the FF bandwagon.

Are you still happy with FG?
    By the way, it's not a funny story, or even a good one as you said yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

I've never voted for FF. I was first eligible to vote in a general election in 2007 and voted for Fine Gael and have voted for them since.

Fianna Fail voters are like George Bush voters - apparently they don't exist! I know there are some admitting to having voted for them here, but offline it seems to be nigh on impossible to find someone who voted for Fianna Fail ever, never mind in the 2007 elections. You can spot them readily enough though, they're usually the ones claiming "sure they're all the same" or that the current government is "as bad/worse than the last lot" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i would still go back and vote ff if the right candidate run in my area, as for ff being worse than fg, well there is one fellow who got his ministerial seat in fine gael, he said he was going to take half a salery, but he hired his wife which made up the shortfall, and he gave his council seat to his first cousin, so ff are not the only ones to keep it in the family

Advertisement