Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARTist in the spotlight - theboyblunder

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I think it was Berlin, I used to work in his lab in Trinity.

Just looked it up and you are right. It was Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

TRR wrote: »
    I was sure it was London. Didn't have an elite number either so started with masses. Have to look that up I was 100% it was London. Fine running regardless.

Absolutely bowled over when I heard it, he had told me that he ran competitively but I had no idea it was to that level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Where did the user name come from?

When I was a student I worked on a placement in a large pharma company. My first day in the lab I got the tour, and then I was shown this piece of glassware that everybody used everyday. They explained that it took ages to replace if broken, that they only had one left.

5 mins after I was left alone with it for the first time......

The next day I had a new nickname.

Guilty pleasures?
    • Woman
    hahahahahaha are you trying to get me killed :D?

• Snack
    I'm way too fond of chocolate. Ive also a serious weakness for crisps and cant have them in the house - gone in minutes.

• Music
    I like all kinds of music (except jazz), but it was never something I was mad into. Tend to prefer older music from the 80s and 90s (a worrying sign at only 38).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Enjoying this thread, well done in connemara! You talk about having a bad gait so do you use supportive training shoes for the easy stuff or is it minimalist kinvaras all the time and do you think bigger heavier supportive shoes are a help or hindrance to people with less than Kenyan biomechanics!?

Thanks overpronater.

I think the type of shoe you wear is important, but not something to obsess about. I use kinvaras all the time now. I have a pair mizuno evo cursoris (I really like these but they dont seem to be popular) but thats it.

I supinate quite a bit - karate chopping the ground with the outside of my feet. I also midfoot strike. I need neutral shoes with cushioning and without stability features, any shoe which prevents rolling inwards is going to amplify the pressure on the outside of my feet. I also have a hopalong gait arising from operations I had to have when I was an infant, which have left me with significantly different length legs and a slightly unsymmetrical hip.

Yeah I think people should run in as little shoe as is comfortable and safe. I dont want to open the minimalist can of worms, but I would say that I ran in hattoris (almost no shoe) all last summer without problems. The only reason I stopped is because I was only getting 200 miles out of them.

The more 'normal' someones gait is, the less they should worry about shoes in my opinion.

Advertisement