Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARTist in the spotlight - theboyblunder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

If you became Provost would you allow a weekly beer mile in College Park?

Any upcoming ultras, or any that you'd really like to do?

Do you think you'll be running for as long as your body allows?

What to you think the sweet spot for weekly mileage is in terms of max. health benefits?

Do you still have my copy of Lore of Running?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Why don't you run more IMRA races? Too much risk of injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

favourite book?

If I was only allowed pick one then probably Catch 22.

movie?

Tough again, probably be The Big Lebowski.

did you know that Trinity College was in Dublin? :eek:

:D

the word 'branding' makes me shiver.

Frankly dont see what was so wrong with the last legal name :):

“the Provost, Fellows, Foundation Scholars and the other members of Board, of the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin”

If you became Provost would you allow a weekly beer mile in College Park?

hahahaha no danger of me being elected provost, but thats an interesting idea: prerace briefing in latin, everything done in robes, naturally :)

Any upcoming ultras, or any that you'd really like to do?

Not for a while I think. The chap im getting advice from wouldnt approve id bet. Yeah theres a certain south african race id love to run someday. Hoping somone will plan a boards excursion en masse just after ive reached my marathon peak.

Do you think you'll be running for as long as your body allows?

Definitely. Cant imagine giving it up.

What to you think the sweet spot for weekly mileage is in terms of max. health benefits? ]

Tough one - I read somewhere that diminishing returns kicks in pretty swiftly after 70 mpw. I think it depends on the runner though. My gait is so bad (and uncorrectable) that id guess 80-85 is the most I could manage without breaking down. Others on here could do way more I reckon.

EDIT: sorry, just reread your question, I was talking about training benefits above. I wish I knew the actual answer to that one myself. From the different things ive read (none of which tend to agree) id have to guess its much lower. Prob half an hour easy running a day or something, so 25-30 mpw.

Do you still have my copy of Lore of Running?!!

Very sorry about that! Yes, will give it to mike. That book is great, but Noakes blew it with that recent paleo stuff in my opinion.

Why don't you run more IMRA races? Too much risk of injury?

No not at all. Im always at risk of injury :) Im not really sure why, marathon obsessed I suppose. Now that youve said it I'll try to squeeze a few in now. Loved the mountain plod a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

What is the best advice you ever got as a runner and what is the best advice you've ever imparted?
    As the father of a 4 year old girl, do you know all the words to 'let it go' yet?

What is the best advice you ever got as a runner and what is the best advice you've ever imparted?

Had to think about this

Received: I was advised to eat high GI food after a tough run. Its an odd one to have up there as best advice I know, but I think its really important recovery wise, especially after a long run. I find the difference is huge for me anyway in terms of being ready to run properly a couple of days later.

Given: Hard to know. I suppose 'Watch out for that car' would have to be up there. :) Im not sure about this really: I gave the two lads who came down to do conn with me advice to run at the fastest pace that doesnt have you out of breath in any way in the first half. I think its the way to pace a marathon in the early stages, and they said it worked well for them (one ran a 17 min PB and the other 4:02 for his debut). Id like to think its good advice because if you get pacing in the first half wrong your race is always over, but others might not agree....

As the father of a 4 year old girl, do you know all the words to 'let it go' yet?

Oh we are way past that here. I have to act out the film with her. Command performance. Riona is elsa (she has the dress too), and I play ALL the other characters (male, female and reindeer alike).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Your fantastic run in Conn must give you great confidence for DCM14. Have you set a time goal yet? Sub 2:45??

Have you listened to Barry Murray's two-part nutrition interview on Marathon Talk recently, if so, would love to hear your thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Is it true that real scientific research only really commenced in 1953 with the discovery of the double helix?

Last sporting event you attended?

On your log you mention that your wife does a bit of running, is she a recent convert? Has she entered any races?

Marlay park or Phoenix park?

Funniest thing you've seen on a run?

Weirdest thing you've seen on a run?

As well as your smackdown with drQuirky, the sisters are also going head to head with us in the 10 miler master champs? How is your team coming along? Apart from you can any of the other girls run 10 miles yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I see Ur not one to hold a grudge,....how many more do you have?

• Advertisement

Your fantastic run in Conn must give you great confidence for DCM14. Have you set a time goal yet? Sub 2:45??
    Cheers neil! Havent set a goal. Im in a bet with drquirky involving a marathon, some drinks and some ritual humiliation. If im going to win it i'll have to run a good bit faster than 2:45 I reckon.[/B]

Have you listened to Barry Murray's two-part nutrition interview on Marathon Talk recently, if so, would love to hear your thoughts?

No, sounds intetesting though do you know the episode number? I definitely wouldnt regard myself as any kind of nutritional expert, I just know enough chemistry/biochemistry to spot the more obvious BS when I see it :)

Best of luck in london! You deserve a good, enjoyable race.

Is it true that real scientific research only really commenced in 1953 with the discovery of the double helix?

:) nope, but it must have been a great boost to the pea-studying fraternity :) its all chemistry TBB!

Last sporting event you attended?

Non running - its been ages. The ireland - new zealand game in croke park. The one before the most recent one, we where hammered.

On your log you mention that your wife does a bit of running, is she a recent convert? Has she entered any races?

She runs three times a week more or less (according to her anyway) only to cover her chocolate consumption. She doesnt enjoy it at all (doesnt understand why id want to hear about how her run went) but is very driven and rarely misses a run. She did the warm dublin half last year in just over 2 hours.

Marlay park or Phoenix park?[/

Pheonix park. But marlay is way more convenient.

Funniest thing you've seen on a run?

Pre 1983: I was watching the DCM looking for my dad when an elite runner went by with poo all down his leg. To a small boy thats very funny. Actually, thats still funny now.

Recent: I was pacing a friend to sub 50 in the movember pheonix park a few years back. It finished up the kyber I think, and my friend was wrecked in the last half mile. I was just telling him how sub 50 is a good time that not just anyone could run when a chap in a full, yellow, borat mankini effortlessly sprinted past us.

Honourable mention: a chap with a sub 3:30 number (if memory serves) at 9:00 on the morning of the dcm eating a double whopper outside burger king on baggot st.

Weirdest thing you've seen on a run?

Digger and CL :)

As well as your smackdown with drQuirky, the sisters are also going head to head with us in the 10 miler master champs? How is your team coming along? Apart from you can any of the other girls run 10 miles yet?

Very well thanks for asking. We will have at least 5 lads in sub 60 shape by then. Liam and another chap will be in shape to go well under 60.

I see Ur not one to hold a grudge,....how many more do you have?

There was an incident involving wendy house occupation in Miss Hastings junior infants class that im still pretty sore about.

Nah I dont harbour grudges generally. Life is too short. Look at the abuse I take from the tallaght three and still run with them. I make Ghandi look like a Hezbollah commander. Somebody should pin a medal on me :)

Different story at the end of a marathon with the glycogen spent. Then im a cranky git with a demeanour that would reverse global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No, sounds intetesting though do you know the episode number? I definitely wouldnt regard myself as any kind of nutritional expert, I just know enough chemistry/biochemistry to spot the more obvious BS when I see it :)
    Episodes 220 and 221. A lot of the stuff he talks about makes perfect sense, but he does dip into the crazy a little bit. What bothers me is that part of the justification (or proof) of his system is the fact that he ran the Dublin Mounntain Way, without food or water. Big fricking deal. Have run it myself (albeit with water and some food), and while it's a long trail run (marathon distance) and tiring, to run it without water or food is not an achievement (or proof). Have yet to listen to part 2 though.

Episodes 220 and 221. A lot of the stuff he talks about makes perfect sense, but he does dip into the crazy a little bit. What bothers me is that part of the justification (or proof) of his system is the fact that he ran the Dublin Mounntain Way, without food or water. Big fricking deal. Have run it myself (albeit with water and some food), and while it's a long trail run (marathon distance) and tiring, to run it without water or food is not an achievement (or proof). Have yet to listen to part 2 though.

Cheers. Dont know what his hypothesis is - but if thats the 'proof' for it then my eyebrows are doing involuntary circus stunts already.

Will have a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers. Dont know what his hypothesis is - but if thats the 'proof' for it then my eyebrows are doing involuntary circus stunts already.

Will have a listen.
    To be fair, that's just what came up in the course of the interview/conversation and struck a chord. He's well regarded around these parts (particularly in the tri/endurance running circuits) and works with some big cycling teams like BMC. Will listen to the second part before making up my mind. I just have a problem when it comes to people telling you what you can't eat (the diet is low carb, high fat). Sorry for the off-topic meandering.

Garmin watch - friend or foe?

Any other sports that you'd like to take up, later in life?

How old are you? Do you see yourself continuing to run when (if) the times start to go backwards?

What do you watch on the tellybox?

Do you guys cook non-vegetarian food for your daughter, or is this just part of her diet when you guys aren't around?

Do you have a family pet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hi TBB

Congrats on your fantastic performance in Connemara. I know most people think they could have gone faster after a race - do you think it would have helped if you had more people around you or do you always push yourself to the limit anyway?

When you say you became a vegetarian for ethical reasons I presume that means you are against the farming and slaughter of animals so you don't eat meat. A lot of everyday household products contain animal by products (e.g. stearic acid is found in loads of cosmetic products like deodorants and soaps) do you use them and if you do is that not a bit hypocritical?

To be fair, that's just what came up in the course of the interview/conversation and struck a chord. He's well regarded around these parts (particularly in the tri/endurance running circuits) and works with some big cycling teams like BMC. Will listen to the second part before making up my mind. I just have a problem when it comes to people telling you what you can't eat (the diet is low carb, high fat). Sorry for the off-topic meandering.

No probs, id agree with that (listening before making up my mind). Interested to hear what he has to say. For me a little of everything is the way to go.

Garmin watch - friend or foe?

Friend in training, not sure about races. Jesus, if I didnt have a garmin I shudder to think of the stupid paces id run in training. In longer races its invaluable to stop you going too fast I reckon, but im beginning to think that in shorter races (5K in particular) it might make me too cautious.

Any other sports that you'd like to take up, later in life?

Always thought id love to give some kind of martial arts a go someday, just because ive never tried it.

How old are you? Do you see yourself continuing to run when (if) the times start to go backwards?

I was 38 in february. Yeah I'll still run. I can understand elite athletes having a problem running when the performances start to dip because it defines them perhaps more than other professions do (im only a chemist during the day - they are athletes at every meal, wedding, in every pub, etc). For me, as long as there are auld fellahs to race and my body can take it I hope i'll run.

What do you watch on the tellybox?

Ive gotten into the box-set craze. I watch them with my brother and fancy beer is usually involved. My wife got me a present of 3 month beer-club membership which was fantastic.

Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, The Killing are done so far, and were on House of Cards now.

Love cringe TV. Im a bit weird like that. The more cringe the better - almost to the point where you need to leave the room. Curb Your Enthusiasm is the best for this. I watch cookery programmes a bit (not really sure why) and as penance I will occassionally sit through Fashion Police and Americas Next Top Model if my wife has the remote and I havent seen her much that day.

Do you guys cook non-vegetarian food for your daughter, or is this just part of her diet when you guys aren't around?

No we buy and cook her meat. I know how weird that sounds; we just dont want to gamble with her diet while shes growing up. As I said, I dont consider vegetarianism to be 'natural'. If its my kid or the cow, the cow gets it.

We hope when she's older that she will convert - but I suppose that will be up to her.

Do you have a family pet?

Yes, the imperious Puca the cat. Shes grey, shes lazy, shes incredibly hairy, and she is a magnificant drain on resources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

From a chemistry standpoint, how feasible/ believable is Breaking Bad?

I'm toying with a plan for this summer (in prep for our challenge) of following a Kenyan marathoner diet. I'll subsist primarily on Ugali and extremely sugary tea with cream- am I sitting on the next fad diet gold mine here or will I end up in McGrattans crying in my beer wearing some ridiculous IRA vest cursing Brother Colm?

Can we make a deal that if we both pass a cursing/ blowing up TRR on the way to DCM glory that we'll cross the finish line holding hands ala Krusty and KU ?

Who is your new coach?

Hi TBB

Congrats on your fantastic performance in Connemara. I know most people think they could have gone faster after a race - do you think it would have helped if you had more people around you or do you always push yourself to the limit anyway?

Thanks CM!

Yes I think so. Just a little. In marathons I generally push as hard as I can, but 'as hard as I can' can depend on circumstances sometimes I think. For me its not drafting or anything thats important, it more that if someone else is there, part of your attention is on them, and so less of your attention is on how tired youre getting, or worrying about pace etc. If they are amiable and want to really share the race with you, its even better. I ran with an english guy in the DCM in 2012. We didnt say much, but encouraged each other at different points. He stayed with me until 22 miles. For me it really made a difference.

When you say you became a vegetarian for ethical reasons I presume that means you are against the farming and slaughter of animals so you don't eat meat. A lot of everyday household products contain animal by products (e.g. stearic acid is found in loads of cosmetic products like deodorants and soaps) do you use them and if you do is that not a bit hypocritical?

Yes on the ethical reasons question.

Great second point. Yes and no is my answer :). I have a leather belt (falling apart), leather shoes (one pair - falling apart) and im sure we use aminal products occassionally but we genuinely try not to as much as possible.

Im not sure about it being hypocritical...I have a strict policy of not telling other people that they should be vegetarians. If they ask me for my advice or say that they are interested I will gently encourage them if I can, but evangelical vegetarians are a royal pain in the a*se and ive little time for them. I think if you are up on a soapbox, trying to make people feel bad about how they live because they eat meat and you dont, then yes, I reckon its hypocritical for those people use even one aminal-based product.

Im no ethical hero, vegetarianism is just (I think) a small, nice thing that I can do without it costing me very much. In my view its doesnt deserve any admiration (there are people out there who really make a differnce in the world at great cost to themselves) and it should never be used as a stick to beat people with.

People who do that had better be perfect in every way.....

• Advertisement

From a chemistry standpoint, how feasible/ believable is Breaking Bad?

Its pretty good. They are careful to leave little gaps and not show entire sequences, but the starting materials and steps in the two routes they use in the series are fine. Amphetamines are small molecules and have very simple structures compared to say, LSD or heroin. The challenge is more getting your hands on the starting materials without either your name coming up in lights or having to rob a train :)

One thing thats boll*x is the colour. It shouldn't be blue when pure.

I'm toying with a plan for this summer (in prep for our challenge) of following a Kenyan marathoner diet. I'll subsist primarily on Ugali and extremely sugary tea with cream- am I sitting on the next fad diet gold mine here or will I end up in McGrattans crying in my beer wearing some ridiculous IRA vest cursing Brother Colm?

:) Dont know much about ugali. Just had a quick check and found a GI of 109 (only one source, would need to check further). So good for a 130 mile week kenyan who eats it straight (20 mins) after exercise but maybe not great for mere mortals as a staple unless eaten after your runs It sounds pretty high GI to me. If they mix it with meat etc then its a diferent story. Same goes for sugary tea - the key is when youre drinking it. Id really recommend anyone to read about GI. Its based on rock hard science, is easy to get your head around and it has completely changed the way I see food and make food-based decisions. I used to see it as the enemy, now I see it as fuel. Youre getting faster at an alarming rate - no drastic changes please! I want a fit drquirky to race and keep me motivated!

Can we make a deal that if we both pass a cursing/ blowing up TRR on the way to DCM glory that we'll cross the finish line holding hands ala Krusty and KU ?

That made me laugh out loud. Definitely! Its synchronised double windmill time if we pass a fit TRR.

Who is your new coach?

Its not a secret but I dont want to bandy the mans name around on the web before ive run a session. Tell you when I see you next or can PM you.

That made me laugh out loud. Definitely! Its synchronised double windmill time if we pass a fit TRR.

If you two girls pass me I won't be fit, I'll be having a fit or major seizure of sorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My daughter is really into science and is interested in doing science in College. Right now, she's undecided between Chemistry and Biology.

Discuss the merits of how studying Chemistry in Trinity may be better than studying Biology in somewhere like, let's say Maynooth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Biology in somewhere like, let's say Maynooth ;)

:confused:
    they study biology in bible college? the loaves and the fishes? transubstantiation?

My daughter is really into science and is interested in doing science in College. Right now, she's undecided between Chemistry and Biology.

Discuss the merits of how studying Chemistry in Trinity may be better than studying Biology in somewhere like, let's say Maynooth ;)

My smackdown with TRR is provisionally scheduled for April 2035. Lets not light the fuse on that one too early.....

I need to allow time for ecoli to get through puberty so that I can legally challenge him first, and then there is the time required for TRR to get fat enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Where did the user name come from?
    Guilty pleasures?
    • Woman
    • Snack
    • Music

Just for the record an ex-Maynooth biology academic ran 2.13 in London back in the 1980s. He does work in trinity now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

TRR wrote: »
    Just for the record an ex-Maynooth biology academic ran 2.13 in London back in the 1980s. He does work in trinity now though :)

I think it was Berlin, I used to work in his lab in Trinity.

I think it was Berlin, I used to work in his lab in Trinity.

I was sure it was London. Didn't have an elite number either so started with masses. Have to look that up I was 100% it was London. Fine running regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Enjoying this thread, well done in connemara! You talk about having a bad gait so do you use supportive training shoes for the easy stuff or is it minimalist kinvaras all the time and do you think bigger heavier supportive shoes are a help or hindrance to people with less than Kenyan biomechanics!?

Advertisement