Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

fijan5th2012192h.png

Where do you find these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Here's something mad to keep those who have lost hope just clinging in there. For now just ignore all the scientific based predictions and negative/positive NAO and concentrate on the outside chance.

January, 1947: Unsettled;large temperature variations;snow and intense frost late in month
    The month was noteworthy for the frequency of gales from the 1st to the 17th, a very mild spell at the beginning of the 3rd week, followed by a severe wintry spell when some very low temperatures were recorded.
    On the 17th, an anticyclone to the south-west of the British Isles developed, drifted slowly east and then north. From the 20th until the end of the month pressure remained highest to the north and north-east and there was a gradual change, first felt in east and south-east and south-east England, and later over the whole country, to unsettled weather with frost and snow and easterly winds. Continuous frost set in over south-east England on the 23rd, over Wales and western England on the 28th, and over Scotland on the 29th. Depressions and their associated troughs to the south of the British Isles from the 25th onwards brought snow at first to south-east and east England, and later everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good find Joe, them poor trolls need fodder at this time of year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

spongebob.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Hi Sponge Bob, I cannot understand your love for this ongoing mild drizzle!:)

Ireland gets its for around 45 weeks of the year so a change to something cold and snowy would be welcomed by most people and it is after all winter! I understand you are what would be termed a "mild troll" - so you have suceeded in getting a reaction - however don't write off winter just yet, I think it will have a nasty sting in its tail! :D:D

D

derekon wrote: »
    however don't write off winter just yet, I think it will have a nasty sting in its tail! :D:D
    Didn't I just thank Joe for proving that very possibility...and for being dacint to them poor critters???

Mmmm...........I think there might be a hint of sarcasm in your post, Sponge Bob?!! :rolleyes:

D

You are grossly oversensitive Derek. As Joe correctly said..."concentrate on the outside chance" and if you get tired from all that concentration I recommend you have a little snooze to refresh yourself.

There is an outside chance that we will have another 1947 event ....which co- incidentally happened at the very same stage in Solar Cycle 18 to where we are in the current Solar Cycle. Anyone who says there is no outside chance is mad. Pure mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭jirafa

A Wintry & Colder Feel To The Start Of The New Year

according to James Madden :rolleyes: :rolleyes::o:o

Video Link....... http://youtu.be/oXCv_zN32G4

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTK3nb-TMl_-zh3F3iV3I6dxZ6pgvxR2nQfVResXUge2Bqte9FmaA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

spongebob.jpg

You are grossly oversensitive Derek. As Joe correctly said..."concentrate on the outside chance" and if you get tired from all that concentration I recommend you have a little snooze to refresh yourself.

There is an outside chance that we will have another 1947 event ....which co- incidentally happened at the very same stage in Solar Cycle 18 to where we are in the current Solar Cycle. Anyone who says there is no outside chance is mad. Pure mad.

Thank you Sponge Bob and interesting point on Solar Cylcle 18! :D

D

Thank you Sponge Bob and interesting point on Solar Cylcle 18! :D
    Furthermore :D
    1947 was the 13th year in a 13 year Mayan Calendar Cycle! Startdate =Feb 03
    2012 IS the 13th year in a 13 year Mayan Calendar Cycle! Startdate =Jan 14

Furthermore :D
    1947 was the 13th year in a 13 year Mayan Calendar Cycle! Startdate =Feb 03
    2012 IS the 13th year in a 13 year Mayan Calendar Cycle! Startdate =Jan 14

Stop Sponge Bob, you are getting me excited!! :D:D

Seriously though, can you imagine the destruction that a winter '47 event would wreak on an already very fragile Irish economy? I would however settle for a week of Siberian winds coupled with some heavy snowfalls. Not asking for much eh? ;)

D

Yes but this is the first time since 1947 that we have had a confluence between this precise stage of a solar cycle and the start of the 13th year in a 13 year Mayan Calendar cycle.....and all of it in wintertime not in summertime.

Concentrate my good man, concentrate. Heed Joes words. :)

I'll get a few moulds made up shall I ??

spongebob.jpg

Yes but this is the first time since 1947 that we have had a confluence between this precise stage of a solar cycle and the start of the 13th year in a 13 year Mayan Calendar cycle.....and all of it in wintertime not in summertime.

Concentrate my good man, concentrate. Heed Joes words. :)

I'll get a few moulds made up shall I ??

spongebob.jpg

Cool snow "sponge bob" if there is such a thing?! Hopefully you will be making plenty of these here in Ireland come mid to late January... :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

- however don't write off winter just yet, I think it will have a nasty sting in its tail! :D:D

D

I have to agree with you there. I'm usually right - thats why I'm so irritating.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75639846

I have to agree with you there. I'm usually right - thats why I'm so irritating.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75639846

Hi Elmer, I was hoping the "sting" would be around February time - the sun is just too strong in March for any lying snow beyond midday. Unless of course, daytime temps are below freezing which I guess would be very rare in Ireland at that time of year :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'd love to be proved wrong and see a 1947 in mid Jan but I think its out of the question this winter. This post and the one after it explain why I think its extremely unlikely.:(
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76052897

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'd love to be proved wrong and see a 1947 in mid Jan but I think its out of the question this winter. This post and the one after it explain why I think its extremely unlikely.:(

Oh go away barer of bad news :mad:

• Advertisement

That is fair enough, however please bear in mind what MT Cranium said on the 17/12/2011 :)

MT Cranium Post the 17th December 2011

It only takes a week to ten days for the Atlantic-dominated regime to fade out, blocking can develop that fast. Obviously what is needed is a stratwarm event to change the current circumpolar vortex that has given near-record values for the arctic oscillation. However those records were set in Dec 1990 which was a winter dominated by cold after about 10 January.

I'm expecting a similar reversal this winter and it won't likely show up even in the further reaches of the model runs until late this month. The mild before Christmas was expected and a more variable trend will probably develop again after about the 27th. Cold may not win out for two or three weeks beyond that.

Some encouraging signs are noted this week for later in the winter. Blocking is increasing in eastern Siberia. Model runs continue to flirt with high pressure at higher latitudes in western Europe. These are tentative signs in the right direction. Would not expect any sudden or dramatic shifts but gradual progress. This is rather conservative but I expect at least one of the two months Jan-Feb to be colder than normal, more likely January but would give a 65% probability that one of the two will be below and 30% that both would be below.

Anyway, in some ways it's good to have a mild regime over the holiday period, people can get around and business does well. And it's still Christmas regardless.

Certainly agree it's far too early to "call" winter at this poin

the sun is just too strong in March for any lying snow beyond midday.
    Ah but 1947 was different Derek, it not only snowed until mid March in Ireland and the UK ...a fine powdery drifting snow....but the last of that snow, in sheltered north facing areas, did not melt until June. I remember being told the last snowmen finally melted in early May.

Ah but 1947 was different Derek, it not only snowed until mid March in Ireland and the UK ...a fine powdery drifting snow....but the last of that snow, in sheltered north facing areas, did not melt until June. I remember being told the last snowmen finally melted in early May.

Ah you are killing me Sponge Bob! :)

Now I am really getting my hopes up! :D Had a quick look at the GFS model and its predicting a nice plunge of cold from mid January, as MT predicted way back. Things are looking better than they did this time last week, however its all in FI of course, so could change on the next run :mad:

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

redsunset wrote: »

Thanks Redsunset - maybe there is some hope of sea level snowfall across eastern Ireland so, given its only the 1st January :)

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

See below link to a Winter 11/12 chatroom:

http://client16.addonchat.com/chat.php?id=539786&s

This is just for fun and for discussing anything interesting coming up weather wise, its not connected to any other websites or any previous chatrooms. all snow addicts welcome

If this isn't appropriate here please move and I apologise in advance.

Thanks

Je55ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A change not too far away? Or a false hope?

Not that this leads to much but we are seeing some real amplication and attempted raising of heights over Greenland.

It is of interest for sure.

Rtavn1441.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

However those records were set in Dec 1990 which was a winter dominated by cold after about 10 January.

Indeed I well remember the Winter of 89/90.

It snowed (here in Dub) on the 8th December; the 8th of January and on the 8th February.

Trust me; I have a memory long as the Mississippi and sharper than a serpants tooth.....:cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Indeed I well remember the Winter of 89/90.

It snowed (here in Dub) on the 8th December; the 8th of January and on the 8th February.

Trust me; I have a memory long as the Mississippi and sharper than a serpants tooth.....:cool:

As ever Wild Bill, love the historical inputs. I would have been around 10 years old in December '89 so only have a vague recollection, I appreciate your input.....:)

Weathercheck, good post - I think you are only highlighting what the models are now hinting, i.e. a possible very cold spell for Ireland and Britain come mid January. At least the models are now showing something to get excited about.....:D

D

• Advertisement

Bit all over the place, it get bored and goes to scandinavia thereafter.

Recm2161.gif
    A change not too far away? Or a false hope?

Not that this leads to much but we are seeing some real amplication and attempted raising of heights over Greenland.

It is of interest for sure.

Rtavn1441.png[/QUOTE]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement