Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - router config & speeds

Options
  • 07-06-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Just got the new Eircom F1000 router at home today as part of eFibre rollout and to my surprise nothing was left about the router or how to config.

Anyway, previous comments are right, there appears to be no manual from Eircom (yet). It seems to me that the ZyXEL F1000 is a custom job on the P-2812HNU-Fx Series http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_2812hnu_fx_series.shtml?t=p and the user guide for that router is ROUGHLY the same (Word of warning, after a quick look there are a number of additional tabs available on the F1000 config, many of them are advanced VDSL settings so don't go messing with anything unless you know what you are doing).

Couple of notes:

My router ip was 192.168.1.254
    Username: admin
    Password: same as Wireless Key on back of router

It automatically prompted me to change the password which was handy.

The router is saying it has a 70 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up DSL connection but so far my best result has been 47.4 Mbps down, and 17.38 Mbps :D

2758893542.png
    2758754623.png

Would be interested to see others actual speeds with eFibre are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

2759307159.png

What a step up - this was me previously :

2758068576.png

Hurrah.

One thing to note - Admin config doesn't work in Chrome - use IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

nuttlys wrote: »
    Just got the new Eircom F1000 router at home today as part of eFibre rollout and to my surprise nothing was left about the router or how to config.

Anyway, previous comments are right, there appears to be no manual from Eircom (yet). It seems to me that the ZyXEL F1000 is a custom job on the P-2812HNU-Fx Series http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_2812hnu_fx_series.shtml?t=p and the user guide for that router is ROUGHLY the same (Word of warning, after a quick look there are a number of additional tabs available on the F1000 config, many of them are advanced VDSL settings so don't go messing with anything unless you know what you are doing).

Couple of notes:

My router ip was 192.168.1.254
    Username: admin
    Password: same as Wireless Key on back of router

It automatically prompted me to change the password which was handy.

The router is saying it has a 70 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up DSL connection but so far my best result has been 47.4 Mbps down, and 17.38 Mbps :D

2758893542.png
    2758754623.png

Would be interested to see others actual speeds with eFibre are.
    How far away from the cabinet are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

ifah wrote: »

One thing to note - Admin config doesn't work in Chrome - use IE.

Working fine for me in Chrome.
    Manc Red wrote: »
    How far away from the cabinet are you?

about 130m

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

Thanks Nuttlys for the link, it's fairly close. How on earth did you sus that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Hi,

so have Eircom hobbled features on this thing like UPC seem to like doing?

e.g. does it supports port forwarding reliably?

And I suppose it's too much to hope for, but does it support bridge mode?

Is there anything else obvious that has been disabled?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

Port forwarding is a nightmare. This error comes up every time:

The defined rule is in use by another port forwarding, applications or UPNP rule. You must remove the rule before the new rule can be applied.

Hi damojag, I've figured it out, here is the fix: when you get to the WAN Interface field it can be one of tree settings, ETHWAN, VDSL or pppo3G. Most likely settings will be either ETHWAN or VDSL depending on your package. See which one doesn't give the error message, Then just populate the rest of the fields with the desired ports. WAN IP field is optional & can be left blank. Best of Luck.

enjoying port forward for security cams....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

PatDee wrote: »
    Hi damojag, I've figured it out, here is the fix: when you get to the WAN Interface field it can be one of tree settings, ETHWAN, VDSL or pppo3G. Most likely settings will be either ETHWAN or VDSL depending on your package. See which one doesn't give the error message, Then just populate the rest of the fields with the desired ports. WAN IP field is optional & can be left blank. Best of Luck.

enjoying port forward for security cams....

Would that work for uTorrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

Yeah, I gave that a go shortly after posting. Threw on both ETHWAN and pppp03g settings for port forwarding - perhaps I should just stick with one or there may be conflicts?

Tried a test with uTorrent and got between 500kb and 1mb - with a 48 meg speed I should be getting close to 8meg download but alas.

Would that work for uTorrent?

Yes I don't see why not, but I wouldn't use ppppo3g as I think that's for use with a 3G (wireless) dongle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Has anyone used this modem in a real-world Business setup yet?.
    eFibre is available to us now but am reluctant to jump yet. We have DVR cams, email servers etc that need port forwarding .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Langer wrote: »
    eFibre is available to us now but am reluctant to jump yet. We have DVR cams, email servers etc that need port forwarding .

Enterprise customers on fibre could request the thompson if they wanted and probably get it but most would probably chose their own third party VDSL modems.

are there many commercially available though? have always used netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Cabinet distance is irrelevant since you are syncing at 70MB down / 20MB up on the router interface.

OP, are you doing this test over wireless or ethernet? For a real time test, connect 1 ethernet cable only and disconnect any other devices and try again. Also try out http://speedtest.eircom.net

Can anyone suggest/has experience of a Netgear vdsl equivalent.
    have heard that these modems are requirement for the service to work correctly.

@Langer, Yeah I'm running DvR & Security cams using port forwarding & it works well with the new eircom F1000 vDSL Router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zachdiebold

advertsfox wrote: »
    Cabinet distance is irrelevant since you are syncing at 70MB down / 20MB up on the router interface.

OP, are you doing this test over wireless or ethernet? For a real time test, connect 1 ethernet cable only and disconnect any other devices and try again. Also try out http://speedtest.eircom.net

Hi, can you please explain why cabinet distance is irrelevant?
    Assuming that OP is setup through Eircom's FTTC scheme, this would mean that the connection from cabinet to home is copper only, and that the connection speed would be adversely affected by a large distance.

@zachdiebold, why cabinet distance is Very Relevant, my understanding is eircom will deliver Fiber to the Neighbourhood (FTTN). It can only operate over the copper line for a short distance, about (4,000 feet) 1,200 m. So if the eircom cabinet is beyond this distance they can't offer vDSL, under this distance & the new vDSL beats the old DSL.
    By placing a vDSL transceiver in your home and a vDSL gateway in the junction box, the distance limitation is neatly overcome.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

@zachdiebold, why cabinet distance is Very Relevant, my understanding is eircom will deliver Fiber to the Neighbourhood (FTTN). It can only operate over the copper line for a short distance, about (4,000 feet) 1,200 m. So if the eircom cabinet is beyond this distance they can't offer vDSL, under this distance & the new vDSL beats the old DSL.
    By placing a vDSL transceiver in your home and a vDSL gateway in the junction box, the distance limitation is neatly overcome.

Hope this helps.

If the router is saying its connecting at 70 down and 20 up then the distance to the cab is not important.

I would imagine the ops problem is internal, either a 100mb Ethernet switch or port somewhere

Langer wrote: »

I have set up 3 business sites, all with their own unique port forwarding requirements. All working well apart from one problem...

Two of the sites routers completely reset themselves this morning, wiping everything

Both in the same town but connected to different cabs. I have made eircom aware of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

I have set up 3 business sites, all with their own unique port forwarding requirements. All working well apart from one problem...

Two of the sites routers completely reset themselves this morning, wiping everything

Both in the same town but connected to different cabs. I have made eircom aware of the problem.

Did you do a backup of the config file? if not i would strongly advised you to do so incase it happens again.

allen175 wrote: »
    Did you do a backup of the config file? if not i would strongly advised you to do so incase it happens again.

Nope, but good thinking and something I hadnt thought of doing.......

As it turned out it was simple enough to fix, just changing the default IP and turning off DHCP, chrome remembered the data for the port forwarding.

Ouch.......from my experience routers don't just reset themselves, usually someone hits & holds the reset pin hole, or a command is sent down the line....nice to see your keeping a cool head about it all, curious, what did eircom say when you told them?

Ouch.......from my experience routers don't just reset themselves, usually someone hits & holds the reset pin hole, or a command is sent down the line....nice to see your keeping a cool head about it all, curious, what did eircom say when you told them?

I can only imagine it was reset over the line, I will look at the logs when get time.

eircom said they had not had any other reports but he said he would look into it just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mich@el

Hi can I use the Eircom ZyXEL F1000 with a USB hard drive. I connected a USB Hard drive, enabled it in the software but I cannot access it. The media access works but not the file access. The manual information referenced in this post does not work on my system.

Any suggestions ?

this modem is no not easy to integrate into an office environment! anyone know if it supports Loopback? need to access public static IP internally and externally

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I put the F1000 into bridge mode and linked it to sbs2003. Ran the sbs wizard and set it to PPPoE. It seemed to work for about two weeks. But now we are loosing connectivity intermittently.

Is there a better way of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Guys I seen comments here stating distance doesn't matter but I have been told it does I was told I will probably only get 20-25mb download and 8mb up and that's on the 50mb package with efibre, getting installed tomorrow so wont know till then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

where have you seen comments that distance does not matter? vdsl goes to 1000M and at that range max is 18down. eircom have a table that shows speeds at various distances. i am at 800metres and get 40 down, 8.5up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

mich@el wrote: »
    Hi can I use the Eircom ZyXEL F1000 with a USB hard drive. I connected a USB Hard drive, enabled it in the software but I cannot access it. The media access works but not the file access. The manual information referenced in this post does not work on my system.

Any suggestions ?

I posted on a previous thread, to no avail, about trying to get the file sharing/media access option working. If I'm reading your post correctly, it seems that you have at least been able to see the drive/share appear on the file sharing tab? When you say that the media access works, does that refer to using the device as a DIY NAS for media streaming using DLNA? That was my intended purpose for the router. When I enable the file sharing option I cannot see anything that indicates that the software on the router can talk to any of the hard drives/memory keys I have tested out. I'm not sure if you had seen the manual that Eircom have created for the device, but I didn't have any joy with using it as there was very little troubleshooting information on it.

Did you check to see that you were using the correct file system on the attached hard drive? I think they mentioned FAT and FAT32, if memory serves..

Cheers!

Advertisement