Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North West Electronics/BlueBox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fooker!

Same! ever since my internet came back online on the 23rd of December its been awful!, slow speeds, high packet loss but weirdly now I usually always have a low ping going by the speedtest site when I test the download speeds !

I got myself a 4G 3 dongle the day before my internet came back on and I gotta say its been a lifesaver, its all I use now to game on!
    oh and just as I'm writing this my NWE broadband has gone offline! Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yeah alot of sites aren't loading for today at all. Yahoo, mysql, countless others. They use different routes too so doesn't seem to be a routing issue, just NWE. I need the broadband for work so kind of sucks. Have 4G on the iPhone which I'm using at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Same here couldn't maintain a 128Kbit/s internet radio stream for an hour or so there, had to swap to Three stick again. This is a farce.

edit: Imgur is inaccessible, along with isitrownrightnow.com(lol)
    Tried using a different DNS but I couldn't resolve anything then.

Same here couldn't maintain a 128Kbit/s internet radio stream for an hour or so there, had to swap to Three stick again. This is a farce.

edit: Imgur is inaccessible, along with isitrownrightnow.com(lol)
    Tried using a different DNS but I couldn't resolve anything then.

Ha, yeah switched the DNS here aswell but no difference. Still the same this morning. Not certain if its NWE issue or routing issue, although there are no reports elsewhere online about Level3.net (part of the routing) having issues or anything. Needed to download software from mysql.com but couldn't access it all day, but I was able to watch Netflix though!

Phone lines constantly engaged. Got through once and I was the third in queue for about 15mins so had to hang up to get back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw one of their install vans in Malin Head the other day.

I got through earlier, said they've raised the issue with the external provider where the requests are failing but I've seen the same provider work via a different ISP. They hadn't reported it before I rang even though it has been happening since early yesterday. Is everyone here having issues accessing sites? (example I gave before was mysql.com) I know some of you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Yeah, can't get Distrowatch.com or solydxk.com or the LastPass server just to mention a couple.

I can access those sites now again.

I just seen that the RTÉ Today Show is looking for consumer issues that people are having with their internet providers etc , and are looking to help! Could someone post a link to this thread on the Biz>consumer>consumer issues forum on here? its a sticky at the top!
    I tried but I don't have enough posts to post links! Its worth a shot!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

fooker! wrote: »
    I just seen that the RTÉ Today Show is looking for consumer issues that people are having with their internet providers etc , and are looking to help! Could someone post a link to this thread on the Biz>consumer>consumer issues forum on here? its a sticky at the top!
    I tried but I don't have enough posts to post links! Its worth a shot!

Thread can be found here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057361097&page=2

• Advertisement

I linked this thread on that thread in case they wanna have a read.

Thanks guys!

oh and is anyone else's internet down today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

fooker! wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

oh and is anyone else's internet down today?

Mine was up and down, but then so was the electric!

Might stick some info in that RTE thread. Still getting nowhere with NWE and packet loss is at 20%-30% alot of the time during peak times, even late at night speeds are rubbish. Have a complaint reference so will bring comreg in to see if they can get any further.

Speeds are absolutely cyat today, 24KB/s on downloads, ping all over the shop. Had it plugged out all day yesterday because of how lightning happy my mountain is, didn't notice any hiccups on the Three stick I was using instead lol. NWE never cease to disappoint.

Edit (next day): 4067251640.png

chris_ie wrote: »
    Might stick some info in that RTE thread. Still getting nowhere with NWE and packet loss is at 20%-30% alot of the time during peak times, even late at night speeds are rubbish. Have a complaint reference so will bring comreg in to see if they can get any further.

yeah good idea was thinking of doing that myself!

4067511611.png

How is everyone's connection these days? Still have issues here, no improvement. Very little information in the responses from them either, just a copy and paste response that is sent to everyone.

4078097868.png

not bad for post 5pm here

• Advertisement

2.2 down here and 1.5 up, terrible but as you say, not bad compared to the usual. Still getting 10-20% packet loss. I was told they had an issue the other day that was resolved and asked if I had full service back again. They never seem to properly acknowledge that there are big issues with the network currently.

Mine outright cuts out for about half an hour to an hour around peak time, some time between 8 and 10. Relying heavily on the Three connection these days, and its not doing too well at peak either. These transmitters either hate cold weather or absolutely everyone is streaming these days.

I do some streaming on Netflix, but its always around 11-12 at night when I watch an episode or two, even then it stops and starts or drops quality at times. There was on night it took me about an hour and a half to watch a 50minute episode.

Its pretty predictable, 4-5PM and the packet loss shoots up. Not sure if something is scheduled somewhere that's messing things up or what but its clear when it starts.

The more it goes on the more attractive Three becomes, as the times of day I want to use the web the speeds are more or less the same or faster, and with the speeds that low a download cap doesn't make much difference! Oh and of course 0% packet loss on Three anytime I've done tests, all during peak hours.

Are you far from the mast?

2KM line of sight at the roof where the NWE dish is, no line of sight where the 3G modem is. I'm under 200M from 4G coverage from a different mast but, of course, I'm blocked by another feckin hill lol. Hoping loads of people upgrade to 4G phones and sticks in the coming weeks to take the stress off the 3G cells because it drops to 0.4/0.5Mbit along with NWE at peak times, but loads pages better because of no packet loss. Worth mentioning for the NWE, I'm the closest to the mast out of the majority of the people connected to this cell, so its obviously the backhaul that's suffering more than the cell itself packet loss wise.

I'm getting the same sort of speeds as excollier today but usually I'm getting a lot lower than that , but if I do a packet loss test anytime during the day its still like 5-10% and 10-30% in the evening.

Mine outright cuts out for about half an hour to an hour around peak time, some time between 8 and 10. Relying heavily on the Three connection these days, and its not doing too well at peak either. These transmitters either hate cold weather or absolutely everyone is streaming these days.

same here it takes notions and goes off for half an hour or so now and again! happened last night!
    yeah three has been pretty good for me so far, it does have the odd hiccup booting me offline now and again while gaming but it just connects back up and is reliable compared to nwe!

• Advertisement

Ah I'm about just under 3km. Yeah issue isn't from house to mast at all. Going by my averages here from the 6th onwards the loss has been 10-20% between hours of 5pm and midnight. For midnight to 5pm its 1-5% and this is their internal network being tested. Before the 6th it was averaging 5-6% peak times which was still bad.

4079339959.png
    Look at that!! I'm gonna download a couple if Linux isos before it slows right down again.....although it is using a server in Derry..false alarm maybe.

4079385893.png

not so bad, but it won't last.

Yeah, speeds at this time of the morning are usually fine for me, but of no use to me as I'm at work :( Then by the time I get home it drops way off.

....and slower at the weekends I bet.

Yep! I don't even attempt gaming anymore, used to be on a few nights with a few mates but not worth the hassle anymore. Must try the Three connection again, higher ping but 0% loss so must give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ninyule

You're all going to hate me...

1pm on a beautiful sunny day, and I am getting 19Mb download and 10M upload...

It was very bad two days ago for about 2 hours in the morning, and then it has steadily improved since. Does make you wonder whether the weather does cause problems to the signal.

Weather shouldnt have any effect really. Gets bad for me, and many others on here, once peak time hits, easy to see the trend. If they restart something you might notice a very brief period of decent performance until other users reconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ninyule

I believe that very bad weather can cause signal dropouts, as it is a microwave link after all.

You guys seem to have many more issues than I have, although I have to admit I have not tried using Netflix in the evenings recently. I will check and see...

Yeah I know what you're saying but I've never seen any drops in performance related to bad weather, they're always during the same time periods, good or bad weather. You're just on a lucky streak at the minute ;)

I think they may have sorted out their large packet loss issue. In saying that there is still packet loss which isnt good but not near the ridiculous amounts of 10-30%. (I'll probably jinx it now....)

Yesterday was the first day in a long time that loss sort of low.

Loss rate yesterday average at 2.97% (5PM - Midnight)

336482.png

Although one thing I did notice is that they changed the routing in places. For example to google. This added an extra 10ms or so onto the ping response time by introducing extra hops. The route to google dns used to take 15 hops but is now taking 22 hops, and using a routing that had issues in the past.

Ping times :
    336483.png

Hopefully now it will improve further and they get rid of the other issues.

You guys notice an improvement? (I will add I wasnt using broadband much yesterday, just saw the info last night)

You guys notice an improvement? (I will add I wasnt using broadband much yesterday, just saw the info last night)

I did notice the ping settling far higher than it used to, used to get 9-10ms late at night but I got 28-30 last night. Wasn't actually watching the packet loss yesterday because the speed went to hell and I switched to the Three stick as usual. What did ye use to get those numbers? I'll leave it running this evening.

Yeah, I must do some more checking later to see if that routing affects most of the servers I use. Hoping it doesnt. Few speed tests earlier came back at 25 down and 9 up. But, again, thats off peak time.

Numbers above are just from something I wrote myself that I leave running on the server. So anytime I do a speedtest or traceroute it gets logged so I have a record. Also pings throughout the day keeping track of the performance. Got fed up trying to write everything down to keep track.

Yeah, I must do some more checking later to see if that routing affects most of the servers I use. Hoping it doesnt. Few speed tests earlier came back at 25 down and 9 up. But, again, thats off peak time.

Numbers above are just from something I wrote myself that I leave running on the server. So anytime I do a speedtest or traceroute it gets logged so I have a record. Also pings throughout the day keeping track of the performance. Got fed up trying to write everything down to keep track.

I'd be happy enough with 30ms if the packet loss was low enough to game on myself, been gaming on 60ms on the Three for the past month or 2 so half of that would be nice. Will leave a ping command running to google starting now and post the loss tomorrow.

I'd be happy enough with 30ms if the packet loss was low enough to game on myself, been gaming on 60ms on the Three for the past month or 2 so half of that would be nice. Will leave a ping command running to google starting now and post the loss tomorrow.

Cool, ping to google dns has been a steady 20ms all day. (Runs every 10mins for 100 packets) Be interesting to see things later.

Still very little packet loss at the moment, testing twice per second.

Ping is very jittery in games, but not by a large variance (around 10-20ms in CoD4) but enough to rubberband and jitter slightly. I get up to 100ms of jitter on Three at peak.

Will be interesting to see what its like between 8 and 10 when it completely dies for me normally.

Downloading 4GBs of textures for Unreal Engine at 700KB/s and watching a 720p60 video on YouTube at the moment and not getting any loss so its safe to say I'm pushing my luck.

EDIT:
    8:29 now, packet loss still floating around 1% or less, still getting 1.2MB/s on the download speed (been downloading steam games since the texture pack finished). I wonder if this is because I'm kicking everyone off the cell from downloading or its a quiet night or they actually fixed something for once. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

seems pretty good for me too, no packet loss and a slightly higher than normal ping which would usually never happen at this time!
    hope this trend continues!

Now nobody ever tell anybody else about this ISP EVER, and make sure nobody else ever joins it and we should be ok :P

I'm getting 5mb down and 5mb up at the minute (off peak can get 20-25), still getting packet loss. The loss is spikes of around 5-6%, averaging at about 3%. Funny thing is this is what I complained about initially before the packet loss went crazy for a few months!

Edit:
    After some investigation, the hops that I have had issues with are still the same. Another person I know on NWE is getting 0% loss where I'm getting 5-10%, the problematic hops that I go through, they dont. Enjoy your connections folks! Looks like I'm back to square one!

Ping and packet loss grand all evening, sit down for a game of CS and the ping goes all over the place. Volvo pls.
    Its not the CS servers, its the connection:

Look at the lagometer on CoD 4:
    http://i.imgur.com/3nST9Qq.jpg
    Spikier than Sanic, this is what it should be:
    http://i.imgur.com/1rrJyUS.jpg

So packet loss is gone but I still cant game. FFS this ISP is gonna drive me up the wall.

0.7% loss from ¬4PM til 11:55PM
    Had to cancel the ping to swap to the three connection to game.
    aaaaaand the Three is ****e as well. Can't win lads.

Ping and packet loss grand all evening, sit down for a game of CS and the ping goes all over the place. Volvo pls.
    Its not the CS servers, its the connection:

Look at the lagometer on CoD 4:
    http://i.imgur.com/3nST9Qq.jpg
    Spikier than Sanic, this is what it should be:
    http://i.imgur.com/1rrJyUS.jpg

So packet loss is gone but I still cant game. FFS this ISP is gonna drive me up the wall.

0.7% loss from ¬4PM til 11:55PM
    Had to cancel the ping to swap to the three connection to game.
    aaaaaand the Three is ****e as well. Can't win lads.

Strange that. Did you do pings to the CS servers when not gaming? Is it a case of when you start the game ping shoots up? I have seen that before.

Strange that. Did you do pings to the CS servers when not gaming? Is it a case of when you start the game ping shoots up? I have seen that before.

Its happening on all different game servers I tested, Quake Live, CoD4, CS, BF4.
    It came and went, presumably with the amount of bandwidth getting pushed through NWE.
    One minute its flat and steady, the next spiking so hard that the game cant keep up.

Probably still QoS of some sort on their end letting media packets through before game ones and delaying them.
    Every packet is a different ping from the last one. Doesn't show up in a normal ping command since its not testing frequently enough.

Well at least normal browsing is grand. Probably gonna have to settle for that till the national broadband plan starts up if it ever does.

I'm glad I'm not into gaming, seems like a nightmare with this crowd.

Rapidsat wrote: »
    IS YOUR BROADBAND SPEED FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW?

DO YOU LIVE IN A RURAL AREA OR A BROADBAND NOTSPOT?

Satellite Broadband Internet from Rapidsat is fast, reliable, and affordable. The beauty of satellite broadband extends to the fact that it can be used in any location and doesn’t require a phone line. Whether you’re a business or a household we can help you to fully enjoy all the benefits broadband technology can provide. We offer download speeds of up to 22mbps and upload speeds of up to 6mbps. Check out our website rapidsatbroadband.co.uk for more informatiion and prices.

As someone who has 4meg copper line, I have always been on the lookout for faster broadband where I live, a quite rural location.

I got excited when I seen this sneeky advert for RapidSat;), but when I went to your site I was again disappointed as it seems satellite broadband hasn't got any cheaper since Niall Quinn launched it a few years back.

£190stg to get installed and activated.
    Then £55 per month for 24 months (approx £1300).
    And only offered a paltry download allowance of 25gb per month? In todays world of streaming and online content, this simply isn't enough. Even my basic package with VF is 40gb. Your 'unlimited' service is 30gb, which doesn't seem to make sense at all.

Think I'll be passing on this service too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    As someone who has 4meg copper line, I have always been on the lookout for faster broadband where I live, a quite rural location.

I got excited when I seen this sneeky advert for RapidSat;), but when I went to your site I was again disappointed as it seems satellite broadband hasn't got any cheaper since Niall Quinn launched it a few years back.

£190stg to get installed and activated.
    Then £55 per month for 24 months (approx £1300).
    And only offered a paltry download allowance of 25gb per month? In todays world of streaming and online content, this simply isn't enough. Even my basic package with VF is 40gb. Your 'unlimited' service is 30gb, which doesn't seem to make sense at all.

Think I'll be passing on this service too.

Lol did they post that in this thread? I can't see it.

Satellite is a nice idea and all but I think I'll pass on 700ms of round trip latency as that signal travels a hundred something miles into space and back.
    Also as much of a pain in the ass the bad speeds/ping/loss during the day are with NWE, their lack of a data cap is the reason I haven't cancelled. I went through an easy 600GB a month on 50mbit in Letterkenny, I can't stream at as high of a quality here but I'm sure I'm still in the hundreds of gigs range of usage.

• Advertisement

They it was their 1st post, and something along the lines of

ARE YOU HAVING SLOW INTERNET SPEEDS?
    FED UP WITH A POOR RURAL SERVICE?

etc etc.

But if you check out their site it is generally shocking in terms of install, price, download allowance etc.

Advertisement