Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying knives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

My main kitchen tools would be a seven inch santoku, a paring knife, sometimes a petty and very occasionally a more specialized tool like a cleaver or a longer slicing knife or ten inch european chef's knife.

I popped a few of my knives into a block from another knife set, just to keep them handy.

946741_10200560111880053_1026663859_n.jpg

1504072_10200560112200061_1327580982_n.jpg

They are, from the top,
    Watanabe Sujihiki (carver)
    Watanabe Santoku (all purpose Chef's)
    Hattori Damasteel Santoku (Three Virtues)
    Shun Petty (paring/utility)
    Korin? Petty made with Tamahagane steel (samurai sword steel)
    Kitchen Devil Parer ( one of the best I've used, also like the Mora Flexiknife)

I also use a fillet knife and cleaver, and often whatever knife I'm using that day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd love to try those knives and they look fantastic but they look as awkward to me. Just shows that you really need to feel/handle a knife and be at home with it before making a purchase.

Which ones look awkward? Or is it all of them?
    I'm assuming it's the Watanabe's with the traditional handles, they look like they are not seated all the way home?

I find when cutting using a pinch grip, that my hold on the blade is the most important bit, the handle is there to apply some leverage comfortably, but not for gripping in the conventional sense. I lift the handle with my little finger to apply some downforce at the edge, but steering is done with the pinching fingers, and drawing/pressing movement comes through the shoulder.

On my hunting and butchering knives the handle and grip feature far more prominently in the list of needful things, I like textured G10 or Micarta for those.

If you would like a go Mr Magnolia, PM me your postal address and what knife (knives?) you want to try.
    I've seen you post on Boards often enough to know you'll be around long term.
    I'll properly sharpen and polish your selection and send it on for a trial session, just mind the fingers!

If you have some Wussties need a bit of attention, send them on and I'll give them the same procedure I give to my J Knives.

Happy New Year lads and Ladies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Kitchen Devil Parer ( one of the best I've used, also like the Mora Flexiknife)

I have this, it was in our new house when we moved in and I cocked quite the snoot at it when I saw it (I think 'Ugh, stupid infomercial knife, soon you shall go to the special farm for unwanted knives, THE BIN!!' were my exact words.) It's so good, really impressed/surprised by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I was in Arnotts the other day and they have a great sale on knives. In particular Henkel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thanks sincerely for that very kind offer Deise Musashi. I may just take you up on it. As regard awkward, I do indeed mean the blade not seated and also the cylindrical handle, I've never used a knife like that. I'll hop you on a PM soon and thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I have had my Wusthof knife set since I was in college and they are as sharp now as they were seven years ago. I absolutely love them especially my fillet knife. It does a super job every time it's use is required.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Doing some cooking in the house we're staying in; not a sharp blade in sight. Predictably, with such blunt knives, I've cut a chunk out of one of my fingers already. I miss my knives :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wonder if this would work?

Fill an old box with skewers to make an all-purpose knife block
    13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

As regard awkward, I do indeed mean the blade not seated and also the cylindrical handle, I've never used a knife like that.

This. I don't feel comfortable holding one. Maybe it's just one of those things you need to get used to.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ordered these on the 6th, delivered today. How have I gone so long without them, I'll never know.

5246BD9FA3854C889AF10B4F6E069940-0000324795-0003475327-00800L-73C4420F390B42F9A15FC7C8902B26A9.jpg

I bought a Wusthof chef's knife a few months ago. There's no doubting it's a quality product and it also keeps sharp. However, I'm finding it a bit unwieldy - it's a bit elongated and a bit heavy for me. I have an Ikea chef's knife that I find I'm going back to again and again - it's just lovely to work with. Spent 55e on the Wusthof so anytime herself is in the kitchen I make sure I use it instead of the Ikea one, otherwise I fear it'll be used on me :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

beertons wrote: »
    Ordered these on the 6th, delivered today. How have I gone so long without them, I'll never know.

Looks like the exact set I have for the last couple of years. They do make a difference don't they! Where did you order from? Must get mine sharpened actually.

Did you get a block as well? I have a vague idea that I have an extra Wusthof block lying around (I got two with my set for some reason) - yours if you want it.
    I bought a Wusthof chef's knife a few months ago. There's no doubting it's a quality product and it also keeps sharp. However, I'm finding it a bit unwieldy - it's a bit elongated and a bit heavy for me. I have an Ikea chef's knife that I find I'm going back to again and again - it's just lovely to work with. Spent 55e on the Wusthof so anytime herself is in the kitchen I make sure I use it instead of the Ikea one, otherwise I fear it'll be used on me
    Must say I find mine fine (think it's a 10"), but I have big hands!

Must say I find mine fine (think it's a 10"), but I have big hands!

Your name gives that away :p

Did you get a block as well? I have a vague idea that I have an extra Wusthof block lying around (I got two with my set for some reason) - yours if you want it.

If beertons doesn't take it, I'll take it off your hands. My budget didn't stretch to a block. :(

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If beertons doesn't take it, I'll take it off your hands. My budget didn't stretch to a block. :(

No problem. I'd better check to see if I still have it - I may have given it away at some stage!

This is my old ad for it, to give an idea of what it's like:
    http://www.adverts.ie/kitchen-appliances/wusthof-beechwood-knife-block/832103

Must get mine sharpened actually.

I'm at your service if you like? I have videos and posts up on site so you can see what I do.

Drop me a message if you want to lad. :)

I'm at your service if you like? I have videos and posts up on site so you can see what I do.

Drop me a message if you want to lad. :)

Cheers DM - will drop you a message.

BTW I do still have the Wusthof block - you interested beertons? If not, it's Bazmo's.

Deise Musashi is it possible to repair steak knives?

I have a set of good steak knives that I got years ago, and a few years ago a housemate ruined about 3 of them. Well, when I say "ruined" I mean he broke off a small bit of the tip and/or slightly bent the tips.

I was thinking that it might be possible to grind the tips of them all so they all had the same profiles? Is that possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I just recently replaced my cooks knife after 15 years of great service. Shopped around a bit and ended up taking a punt on a 8" Heston Blumenthal. Been using just a few weeks and I absolutely love it. Perfect balance and weight and a the handle grip feels great. Really good value too at less than €50.

BTW I do still have the Wusthof block - you interested beertons? If not, it's Bazmo's.

I got a block set, so fire ahead with Baz. Thank you though.

Just replying to an earlier message. I bought them on Amazon, through Richmond Cookshop. They should stick in a pack of plasters with them I think, be just a little extra touch. Picked up the big carver earlier to cut some cheese.I just laughed as it went down. Ended up with 8 slices on a sambo, I couldn't stop.

Deise Musashi is it possible to repair steak knives?

I have a set of good steak knives that I got years ago, and a few years ago a housemate ruined about 3 of them. Well, when I say "ruined" I mean he broke off a small bit of the tip and/or slightly bent the tips.

I was thinking that it might be possible to grind the tips of them all so they all had the same profiles? Is that possible?

I could regrind the tips and make the knives functional again.
    To make them all match I would have to grind them all down to match the worst affected blade.
    I'll do that if it's what you want lad? I can also freshen up any serrations they have while I'm at it.
    Do you want them table knife sharp or proper sharp?

Sure let me know, and I can send you my postal address if you want to proceed. You can see the sort of things I do in the youtube videos in my signature.

I could regrind the tips and make the knives functional again.
    To make them all match I would have to grind them all down to match the worst affected blade.
    I'll do that if it's what you want lad? I can also freshen up any serrations they have while I'm at it.
    Do you want them table knife sharp or proper sharp?

Sure let me know, and I can send you my postal address if you want to proceed. You can see the sort of things I do in the youtube videos in my signature.

Cool. I'll send you a PM when I get a chance with pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Arnotts have great deals on J. A. Henckels knives at the moment.

I got a block with 5 knives and a sharpener for 120, reduced from 290

Shopped around a bit and ended up taking a punt on a 8" Heston Blumenthal.

I've only sharpened one Tojiro Senkou (Heston's preffered make) but it was a very nice knife! About an 8" Santoku in damasteel, the handle was very comfortable and the balance was spot on! They take a great edge and I like the way the bolster doesn't come down the heel of the blade. For cutting it means you can use all the edge to cut with, and for sharpening it prevents making a hollow section just in front of the bolster.
    This can happen with French and German style bolsters as you can't "lead in" to that section of the edge and it ends up getting overworked by starting from a dead stop each stroke. You can prevent it happening by deliberately doing less strokes on that section of edge, or fix by "breadknifing" the edge back to one continous plane and then reestablish the edge bevels and sharpen as normal, lots of work though!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I'm looking for ambidextrous kitchen knives. I am a lefty and my husband is a righty so my left handed knife set that I sent away to the States for are causing major headache for him as he keeps slicing his fingers The knives we had before that were all righty knives and I was the one slicing my fingers. I hear stellar are supposed to be double sided blades but I've not used them and would like to know if anyone has any good suggestions.

edit - I posted a thread on this and was recommended that this would a good place to look for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

Hi All,

Hope this is the right spot to post it in! :)

Basically, doing up the house and money is tight. Saw this advert on Groupon, and was wondering if it is a good brand of knife set and if any of you would recommend it?

Price seems good to me anyways @ €19.99!

http://m.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-dructer-trading-2-8/42664565

Thanks!

*Edit, tried to post a link but it wouldn't work! :( Its on the groupon website, but if anyone has an opinion on the brand I'd still love to hear it !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Merged with the Buying Knives megathread.

Advertisement