Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for kitting out a gym

Options
  • 07-08-2014 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

A local football club has accumulated a decent wad of cash to kit out their gym. Just wondering on where we should source the diff bits. The following stuff is first to be ticked off the list.

A Good treadmill+Rower+Bike
    Protective flooring

Just looking for any big companies that give discounts on large orders and will deliver. I haven't properly googled anything yet so any suggestions would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I'd say invest the money in equipment from Odin and they'll have it for life.

Kit it out like Hanleys gym with a rig. They'll make it for however many you need to use it at the time. I'm sure if you're ordering weights in bulk you'll find deals/discounts etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Give healthandfitnessireland.com a call. They are based in Galway and they gave me a great discount when I was buying my bumper plates and a few other bits. John is the main man there and he is a sound man to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭COH

Wouldn't waste money on a treadmill or stationary bike... good ones cost a fortune. Concept 2 rowers, assault bike or airdynes are much better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

Get onto Abbey Lawns in carlow for cow mats. They're by far cheaper than anywhere else and delivery is cheap.

I got them a few months ago and theyre the only job. Bit awkward to cut but worth it.

I bought plates and bars from Again Faster. Pretty good equipment. Rig and benches were from Odin. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Can I ask how much you have to spend? I once spent €8500 adding equipment to a gym and it doesn't stretch as far as you think

A treadmill, rower and bike is not a big order, you'll get no bulk discount as it isn't bulk.

A rower or two would be a good call, concept 2s are the standard to aim for.

I agree with COH about the bikes too.

After that, you would do well to get a rig or fit frame for pull ups/chin ups, dips etc.

Bars, plates, kettlebells and some dumbbells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm assuming that adding things like power racks and free weights would create additional insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Why do you assume that?
    More people have been injured on treadmills than by free weights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Take your time looking at all the options before you spend anything. Would be worth your while keeping an eye on second hand websites to see what pops up.

Odin Gym Equipment on facebook and http://www.efpgyms.com/ are two I would suggest contacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

If you want your money to stretch as far as possible look into buying equipment at auctions. All the equipment in my gym is bought that way and you save ALOT. that way you can get much more for your money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Are they the only things yiu can buy jayoo?

I only ask cos he's around long enough to know better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I should have added a bit more to my original post.

The gym currently has a
    Good squat rack
    Good Bench Press
    Dip Station
    Botched Cable row thing
    DBs we secured up to 25 kg
    2 Barbells
    190 kg rubber Olympic plates
    Trap Bar
    Sled

The problem is that I have no actual say in what is bought and at present I know that they really want the cardio machines, but hopefully if i can be really annoying they will get the stuff I want nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

JJayoo wrote: »
    I should have added a bit more to my original post.

The gym currently has a
    Good squat rack
    Good Bench Press
    Dip Station
    Botched Cable row thing
    DBs we secured up to 25 kg
    2 Barbells
    190 kg rubber Olympic plates
    Trap Bar
    Sled

The problem is that I have no actual say in what is bought and at present I know that they really want the cardio machines, but hopefully if i can be really annoying they will get the stuff I want nom nom

Screw the cardio stuff, more sleds and prowlers!

Probably more plates, DB's and BB's too and you'd be sorted bar buying crap. Maybe, just MAYBE a leg press for those with an inability/refusal to squat.

Only problem is that it needs to accommodate diff people for example there is a ladies kettlebell class on twice a week, so a heap of kettle bells will probably get bought instead of the instructor horsing her own to the gym.

The flooring is just one thing that needs to get sorted as people seem to love dropping sh1t and destroying the floor.

I just worry that the person in charge of the cash will waste it by buying over priced items.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wouldn't bother with a treadmill when you've a pitch outside. I don't the the ability to run indoors (when's its raining) is worth it.
    I'd push concept2s also for the cardio section. Then improve the free weights section.

Mellor wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with a treadmill when you've a pitch outside. I don't the the ability to run indoors (when's its raining) is worth it.
    I'd push concept2s also for the cardio section. Then improve the free weights section.

I 100% agree with this plus they have a sand track right beside the pitch but a treadmill is what they want and since I don't play gaa anymore they all think I'm a cnut so prob won't listen to me.

Where would one check out a concept rower?

Advertisement