Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Fit -Where to begin?

• 03-08-2014 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

This might seem obvious to many of you but I'm so far out of the loop that I don't know where to begin. I've researched online and get so many conflicting answers that I figure some real life personal experience from boardsies might be the best idea.

About me
    I'm 36. 5'10 and for the first time in my life I hit 14 stone this week. I'm back down around the 13st 11 mark now but for the last few years I have hovered between 13st 7 and 13st 11

I was a very active, sporty, skinny teenager right up to my early 20s when activity stopped, food didn't stop, an office job and laziness crept in.

Ideally I would like to achieve two things:
    Bring my weight down to what I believe is a good weight for me of 12 stone (I may be wrong on that belief) and get fit. By get fit I would be happy to achieve a 5k run followed by a 10k

I have said to myself for the past few years that I'll do it soon but I don't relish the prospect of starting. I gave running a go a couple of years ago but found it too tough, getting out of breath and gave in. I possibly pushed myself too hard too early by running too fast as I used to do a little bit of running in school and thought I could handle the pace I was setting but I was obviously doing it all wrong and as a result it hurt and I gave up.

I'm not into the gym at all but may not have a problem using it to maintain fitness once I reach that stage.

I like swimming and as mentioned i think id be happy to run!

My diet consists of freshly cooked meals 6 days out of 7 but portion sizes would be my downfall as well as a love of chocolate, ice cream, buns etc.

Is there anyone here with a similar story? If so how did you start off on the journey and more importantly maintain it?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm going to ignore the stock answer of "trainer > assesment > custom program for your goals > repeat until goal is reached", even though it's usually the best option.

Here's option 2;

1) Couch to 5k running plan; http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

2) Use smaller plates [seriously - automatically reduces portion sizes]

3) For every 2 bites of food you eat, put down your knife and fork and have a mouthful of water [masks dehydration as hunger, and slows meals down so that your body has a chance to tell the brain you've eaten and you're full]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm going to ignore the stock answer of "trainer > assesment > custom program for your goals > repeat until goal is reached", even though it's usually the best option.

Here's option 2;

3) For every 2 bites of food you eat, put down your knife and fork and have a mouthful of water [masks dehydration as hunger, and slows meals down so that your body has a chance to tell the brain you've eaten and you're full]

Great advice thanks. I'm not really in to the trainer assessment method, although it may well be the right way to go so for now id rather give it a go myself.

Smaller plates, although obvious, I will definately introduce and will give the two mouthful idea a go.

The problem I have then is around the 8pm mark as I will be hungrier I tend to reach for the junk but I suppose my Will power will just have to step up a few notches until my body gets use to it

Well if you know you need to clean up the diet and you know you are doing practically no exercise there is scope for improvement :)

Regarding the running, you need to start out realistically, aim to jog a mile, allow yourself 10/12 mins, start out twice a week as you improve go out 3 times a week, aim to jog 6 miles in a hour or less within 3 months.

Once you get to jogging/running 18 miles a week with an improved diet the weight will have reduced.

Don't get disheartened how bad you feel initially :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Don't get disheartened how bad you feel initially :)

Thanks Augeo.
    All good points.

This last line sums it up for me to date. I'm almost disheartened before I start at the thoughts if how bad I'm going to feel. Hence putting it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

Cut out carbs and join crossfit, is what I did, went from 95kg to 88kg in 6 weeks, and I've never felt better. This is on the background of being a fast food junkie, smoker and binge drinker.

• Advertisement

Retailer wrote: »
    ..... I'm almost disheartened before I start at the thoughts if how bad I'm going to feel. Hence putting it off!

You can turn that into motivation :)
    Realistically you can jog (walk at times) a mile in 12 mins or so, you'll feel fairly rough at times perhaps but after 4 or 5 escapades you'll see progress.

Appropriate pair of runners and and some bright clothes and off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The problem I have then is around the 8pm mark as I will be hungrier I tend to reach for the junk but I suppose my Will power will just have to step up a few notches until my body gets use to it

A lot of people eat with their eyes AND eat too quickly. Your brain gets the message that you're full about 10-15 minutes after you're full so you end up eating too much because of that and because your eyes tell you if you stop you'll have eaten too little.

Which is where eating slower really helps.

The nutrition stickies have invaluable advice to point you in the right direction for eating.

As for the running, regardless of what level you're at, if you run at too high a pace you will die too soon. That's why the c25k program is really good for getting back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Bottom line: it boils down to math... your body burns 'x' calories per day... make sure that what you eat adds up to less than 'x'.

Track everything, get a calorie count on it, underestimate what you're burning doing exercise (most people overestimate it).

Finally, you WILL feel hungry. Get used to it. I'm fit and healthy but still have a sweet tooth. I could easily eat a Big Mac meal and a big bag of pick n mix or a pizza and a nice chocolate pudding for desert etc... don't listen to people who'll tell you you'll become a new person by doing some specific form of exercise or eating a certain type of food. You won't. You'll be the same person, just with much better discipline.

All you need to do is adjust your attitude. Rather than saying "this one little bar won't hurt", say "this one little bar could be the difference between a calorie deficit and a calorie surplus today"...

Great advice thanks. I'm not really in to the trainer assessment method, although it may well be the right way to go so for now id rather give it a go myself.

Smaller plates, although obvious, I will definately introduce and will give the two mouthful idea a go.

Have a healthy snack like 30g-40g of mixed nuts and a big glass of water at 7.30pm so.

Means you get to 8pm and you're not hungry because you've already pre-empted the hunger.

Your'e going to eat. May as well be in control of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I've recently heard of the 5x5 workout - would that be a good option? Might not lose much weight tho : http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Losing_Weight

• Advertisement

A few cups of green tea would be worth a try too especially heading into the winter, amazing stuff to be fair, does a good job of making you feel full I find.

One in between breakfast and lunch, one in the afternoon and one around 7.30pm with the handful of nuts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Plan your shopping to include not just healthy means but healthy snacks too. Have something you plan on snacking on late at night.
    Having something there means you won't reach for junk, and planning for it and including it in your intake won't push your calories over.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I started a gym programme 1 month ago. I did the whole trainer/assessment/programme thing and I have found it brilliant.

At the time I weighed 108.5 kgs. My body fat was at 26% and my metabolism was that of a 45 year old. I am in my mid-late 30's. My water levels were at 50 when they should have been at 60. My visceral fat level was at 10.

My programme was 1 hour in the gym 3 days a week. I also had to change the way I was eating. (Note I didn't say what I was eating} My trainer told me to drink lemon water in the morning followed by kiwis and they breakfast topped with linseed. Cut out coffee and replace Barrys tea with green tea. Eat dinner as normal. When having lunch and dinner I am to eat the meal without a drink and wait for 15 minutes and then drink a glass of water.

My gym programme included crosstrainer, chest presses, planking, back extensions,lat pulldown and elliptical bike. Finish with stretches. Total routine including showering and getting ready for work takes 1 hour 10 minutes. I do this before work. Early start but well worth it.

I had my second weigh in today. My weight is down to 103kgs. My body fat is down to 23% and my metabolism is down to a 39 yr old. My water levels are at 58 and my visceral fat is down from 10 to 9. I have lost 1.5 inches from my waist measurement and almost 2 inches from my stomach diameter.

I bounced out of the place. I have a long way to go to get where I want to be but I'm amazed what a little bit of hard work and discipline can do.

Best of luck OP with your journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Here's option 2;

Repeated Sprints would be better imo.

MD1990 wrote: »

For an overweight male who hasn't trained in years?

Kindly remove your head from your ass, get off the internet, start living in the real world and stop being contrarian just for the sake of it.

I doubt you can comprehend that people actually read and listen to the advice on this board, and your dangerous drivel could actually hurt someone in the real world.

For an overweight male who hasn't trained in years?

Kindly remove your head from your ass, get off the internet, start living in the real world and stop being contrarian just for the sake of it.

I doubt you can comprehend that people actually read and listen to the advice on this board, and your dangerous drivel could actually hurt someone in the real world.
    :confused:
    Never said to go into sprints straight away just that they would ideally be better than a 5k relax. Going straight into a 5k run could set himself up for ITBS. I would first have him build general fitness on an exercise bike + some circuit training & foam roll all his tight leg muscles. Being a contarian? Im not the one getting angry at someone with different advice. Your coming to assumptions at every post i make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

:confused:
    Never said to go into sprints straight away just that they would ideally be better than a 5k relax. Going straight into a 5k run could set himself up for ITBS. I would first have him build general fitness on an exercise bike + some circuit training & foam roll all his tight leg muscles.
    Coach25K is a introductory running program. That involves going from zero training, and severely unfit. to running a 5k over (up to) 9 weeks.
    It's not straight into a 5k run.

Your suggestion, instead of that slow building plan, was;
    That's pretty poor advice. Somebody simply "doing sprints" off the bat is likely to hurt themselves.
    Expanding it to "build general fitness + circuit training & foam rolling, is much better obviously. But not what you said initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That would be a terrible idea to start with.

Walk/jog/walk/jog then when you can jog a little further and walk a little less.

You do need to push yourself as you go but not so much on the distance more on the effort side of things but to start with as above walk/jog.

Sprints/interval training will become more relevant once you can run 5k easy and are looking to go faster.

You'll feel a bit silly at first but if you go out trying to run 5k on your first night your bodies going to be hurting and injury will be more likely. Also you'll be less likely to go again if your suffering after every run. C25k programme is great.

I don't know your location but todayfm and raydarcy (not everyone's fav I know) run a 5k series in sept I think it is. It's only a fiver and then you could aim for the great Ireland run 10k next year another good event.

I was where you are now. First nights running I managed I'd say 100m and my heart was jumping out of my chest but try keep consistant and it does get easier and you will go faster.

Swimming is great for core strength and a lot easier on the joints. You'll need to do some weight training as well I'd say some of the lads on here know there stuff. Hanley springs to mind so they might give you an idea of a gym routine.

Good luck.

Mellor wrote: »
    Coach25K is a introductory running program. That involves going from zero training, and severely unfit. to running a 5k over (up to) 9 weeks.
    It's not straight into a 5k run.

Your suggestion, instead of that slow building plan, was;
    That's pretty poor advice. Somebody simply "doing sprints" off the bat is likely to hurt themselves.
    Expanding it to "build general fitness + circuit training & foam rolling, is much better obviously. But not what you said initially.
    Never said he should start sprinting straight away. Probably should have explained more in my first post though. I think it would be best to start on an exercise bike & do some circuit training rather than start a running program. Then when he has some decent general fitness do some tempo runs at 70% pace & build it up from there. The sooner he can sprint the better as its a much better workout for losing weight than a 5k imo & will help build more muscle too.

Sprinting will help build muscle?

Not in the real world.

• Advertisement

Sprinting will help build muscle?

Not in the real world.
    It Would help build some muscle in your legs compared to just running. Hill sprints certainly would build some muscle in your legs.

c25k is HOW you build more fitness. It's an excellent program and I also recommend it. Once he's completed that he can start looking at sprints and hill sprints
    He tries to do those now instead, he might injure himself and get demotivated and give up and not have achieved anything, particularly without a good structure to build up from

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

Best just to go for it, clear out the crap from the fridge and just get moving, I'd start with a bit of jogging, running or biking or just walking depending on your fitness. avoid faddy diets and eat sensibly instead. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Sniipe wrote: »
    I've recently heard of the 5x5 workout - would that be a good option? Might not lose much weight tho : http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Losing_Weight

You might not loose "weight" but you'll lose a load of BodyFat, put on Muscle, look and feel better.

***If done right;)

thanks for all the replies!

i'm taking a combination of your advice so hopefully some of it will work.

started yesterday with basically smaller portion sizes. i found that having a coffee on its own during the day with no biscuit etc was enough to keep me going until the next meal.

i also went out on the start of my couch to 5k last night. didnt exert myself at all (i suppose thats the whole point of that specific program). was a tiny bit sore this morning but nothing hectic.

2 pounds down since yesterday morning, though i'd prefer to wait a whole week before believing what the scales say!

Advertisement