Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection to booster?

Options
  • 11-12-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has a workaround to allow me to connect the UPC incoming signal to a 2-input 6-output Proception Booster / Splitter.

As far as I can establish from a couple of days research the signal coming into the house is combined UHF/VHF and with the input booster this apparently will not work. It needs to be UHF only. Is there something available to separate the VHF form the UHF on the incoming signal?

I THINK the VHF broadcast stops around 550 MHz but any splitters available appear to allow 0 - 2200 MHz pass. Is there something that will let me eliminate the VHF on one leg and eliminate the UHF on a second leg?

UPC had NO interest in helping by the way - just wanted me to either change the input room or go multi room. It's to allow my 82 year old Dad to sit in a smaller room and light the fire over the winter and to let him have a small portable TV occasionally work in that room.
    I know I could probably simply use a 4 way splitter and supply the TV directly but my curiosity is getting the better of me now.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This is the current list of UPC anslogue channels - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88414136.

Most transmit in the VHF range 176-408 MHz, the other 3 in UHF (471-575).

If the unit can only do UHF and VHF separately at each input the best option might be to repace it with a single input/multi output VHF/UHF distribution amp e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/FRINGE-WAY-DISTRIBUTION-AMPLIFIER-MINI/dp/B005COFESM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Just wondering if anyone has a workaround to allow me to connect the UPC incoming signal to a 2-input 6-output Proception Booster / Splitter.

As far as I can establish from a couple of days research the signal coming into the house is combined UHF/VHF and with the input booster this apparently will not work. It need to be UHF only. Is there something available to seperate the VHF form the UHF on the incoing signal?

The Proception distribution amplifier will filter out frequencies that are not used for terrestrial broadcast, indeed the VHF input might only be for FM radio (depending on model), so even if you split the signal to both inputs, you might only end up with the 3 TV channels above 470 mHz.

You can test what the amp. will pass, by connecting the UPC cable to each input in turn & scanning for channels on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I would question if you need the booster at all.

The UPC signal is usually strong enough for several splits without any additional amplification.

My set up runs 1 digital box, 1 modem and 3 (was 4) analogue TVs without any amp.

If you use good quality passive splitters and cable there should be no need for a powered booster.

Advertisement