Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bench your body weight

Options
  • 26-06-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭

Our gym currently doing this see how many reps you can bench of your body weight( proper reps right down)
    Have spent a couple of weeks trying to get up to mine (87.5) and give it a go today got 11 in hope to get twenty in a week or so any advice to get more reps
    Also wondering what you fine folks are capable of

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

10 @ 110

but only cos i once tried to do 10
    mabey more but i don't normally bench more than 5 at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'll tell you next week.
    Next programmed testing it due the end of june.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

It's not really a fair test of people's strength IMO, as some people are going to be mechanically advantaged towards certain lifts. People with short arms will benefit from a much shorter R.O.M in benching, while generally they'll be have a harder time deadlifting. Still great for bragging rights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

CM24 wrote: »
    It's not really a fair test of people's strength IMO, as some people are going to be mechanically advantaged towards certain lifts. People with short arms will benefit from a much shorter R.O.M in benching, while generally they'll be have a harder time deadlifting. Still great for bragging rights though.

hmm can't remember my numbers but I know last time I trained I was benching a little above my bodyweight. Deading maybe 2 times bw. My squats were unreal.
    Could never understand the huge difference in number esp between deads and bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Every lift suffers from that. Ergo none must be a good test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I was getting 8 x 80 at 82kg. And was chuffed. Feeling v average now.

Could never understand the huge difference in number esp between deads and bench.
    You can't understand why there's a difference between deadlifts are bench press numbers??????
    Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

I havent benched a a year, weighted dips are key. BW 82kg + 50kg for 12 reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's not really a fair test of people's strength IMO,
    Dunno if anybody was claiming it to be.
    spodoinkle wrote: »
    I havent benched a a year, weighted dips are key. BW 82kg + 50kg for 12 reps.
    I was doing weighted dips a lot a while back, and no benching at all. I was able to do dips with more added weight than I could bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Feck yiz all, im only 2/3rds of body weight. Dont have a gym partner and terrified of being crushed lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Feck yiz all, im only 2/3rds of body weight. Dont have a gym partner and terrified of being crushed lol

Same as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I feckin hate benching and chest work in general. I think its the long arm short leg thing do cos I enjoy deadlifting and squatting and would be progressing away nicely!
    **** shoulders too as it happens!
    On a good day I weigh about 85-87 kg and would be good for 6 at 85 kg!
    On a Monday say after a bad diet week I might be nearer 90kg bodyweight and my absolute best would be 90 x 3 and certain death after that :o

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

My bench always lagged behind my other lifts. I can actually do 5x5 bent over rows with more weight than my bench :o

I have swapped to dumbell press recently and I'm finding it a more effective safer workout

(no training partner)

bth_Foreveralonebadge-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭COH

I'd bench bodyweight (~100kg) for 25-30 reps touch and go

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

at the moment im about 84kg, i'd say 100kg 3 x 5 is about the limit. couple of weeks ago managed 120kg x 2.....make that one and a half:o

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

While we're discussing this, does anyone think weighted dips are the all round better exercise? I'v found that weighted dips help my bench, but it doesn't work the other way around. Also, prior to injury I was doing dips with 45kg + my bodyweight of 85kg which makes 130kg the total weight being lifted, compared to 100kg which was my max bench and that's with assistance from leg drive.

So the way I see it, the advantages of dips=
    -greater total load
    -less assistance from lower body
    -works more of the stabilising muscles (I'd imagine, since you're not lying down)
    -greater R.O.M ( I think?)
    -you can't get better at them just by getting fatter.

Also, I think people would be more inclined to use a weight they can actually lift with good form on dips, whereas on bench you always see people loading on too much weight just to satisfy their ego. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons to bench instead of dips too.(I know dips hurts some people's shoulders) Not trying to hijack the thread, would just like to hear people's thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

naughtb4 wrote: »

No power rack and safety bars in your gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

While we're discussing this, does anyone think weighted dips are the all round better exercise? I'v found that weighted dips help my bench, but it doesn't work the other way around. Also, prior to injury I was doing dips with 45kg + my bodyweight of 85kg which makes 130kg the total weight being lifted, compared to 100kg which was my max bench and that's with assistance from leg drive.

So the way I see it, the advantages of dips=
    -greater total load
    -less assistance from lower body
    -works more of the stabilising muscles (I'd imagine, since you're not lying down)
    -greater R.O.M ( I think?)
    -you can't get better at them just by getting fatter.

Also, I think people would be more inclined to use a weight they can actually lift with good form on dips, whereas on bench you always see people loading on too much weight just to satisfy their ego. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons to bench instead of dips too.(I know dips hurts some people's shoulders) Not trying to hijack the thread, would just like to hear people's thoughts.

Its much easier to cheat with bad form while doing a dip much like the funky pullups you see being cranked out in any gym . Not so easy with bench therefore bench would be a more accurate indication of strength imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Our gym currently doing this see how many reps you can bench of your body weight( proper reps right down)
    Have spent a couple of weeks trying to get up to mine (87.5) and give it a go today got 11 in hope to get twenty in a week or so any advice to get more reps
    Also wondering what you fine folks are capable of

My gym is doing the same, gave it a shot today. Got 82.5kg x18. The leading score is 20 reps in my gym. Comp ends on Sunday, wish I had more time I'm sure I'd break 20 reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I not doing it right. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Mellor wrote: »
    You can't understand why there's a difference between deadlifts are bench press numbers??????
    Seriously?

You are misquoting me. What I was actually trying to saying was, I could never understand why there was such a difference between my numbers.
    I lifted alot more on deadlifts than on benchpress and I squatted alot more than I deadlifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

Dips are definitely a good assistant for the bench. I started doing them and went from benching 110kg max to 120kg and can now do 100kg 5x5. bodyweight 87.5kg

You are misquoting me. What I was actually trying to saying was, I could never understand why there was such a difference between my numbers.
    I lifted alot more on deadlifts than on benchpress and I squatted alot more than I deadlifted.

I quoted exactly what you wrote.
    And you just said it again. Everyone deadlifts more than they can bench, I'm not sure what there is to understand.

And you were probably squatting high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I understand its your gym that is running the comp but in reality no one gives a ****.

If you are training for strength then who cares how man reps u can do. It's all about 1-3 rep max.

I you are training for size then who gives a **** of you can even lift ur dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

This is something I have never done.

One wonders back when I was benching well what would I have done?

At my strongest I weighed in at 122kg lets call it 120kg - what could I have done?

I don't see anymore than 20-25 reps based on having done 14 with 180kg.

When weighing 95kg and having a 150-160kg max I might actual have done better.

ATM weight is 120kg and definitely single figures! Time to cut the cheese or some of it and when down to 110kg will give this a go and it might still be single figures! LMAO :D

The shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Mellor wrote: »
    I quoted exactly what you wrote.
    And you just said it again. Everyone deadlifts more than they can bench, I'm not sure what there is to understand.

And you were probably squatting high.

:D:D:D
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Not me!
    :eek::eek::eek:
    :D:D:D

The Guvnor wrote: »
    This is something I have never done.

One wonders back when I was benching well what would I have done?

At my strongest I weighed in at 122kg lets call it 120kg - what could I have done?

I don't see anymore than 20-25 reps based on having done 14 with 180kg.

When weighing 95kg and having a 150-160kg max I might actual have done better.

ATM weight is 120kg and definitely single figures! Time to cut the cheese or some of it and when down to 110kg will give this a go and it might still be single figures! LMAO :D

The shame!

You a powerlifter?

dor843088 wrote: »
    You a powerlifter?

He is an all round bad ass!

john_cappa wrote: »
    He is an all round bad ass!

Pity its not the 1950s then hed be a world record holder.

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    Pity its not the 1950s then hed be a world record holder.

Absolutely! have watched him playing with 60 kg bells for reps on flat press so yeah he prob would have been lol!

Advertisement