Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitness course Dublin

Options
  • 13-06-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hey

I'm looking to do a fitness course this summer to gain knowledge for myself and to help with my CV for potentially looking for a job down the line.

I noticed this course : http://www.ntc.ie/fitness-courses

has anyone do this course here?

any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I havent heard great things about the ntc certificate. If I were you i'd check out LIA in blackrock. www.leisureindustryacademy.ie much more clued in and up to date in terms of forward thinking! ive done one of their CPD courses and I couldnt speak highly enough of them. If I had the time and money I would definitely do their pt course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

thanks for the reply, I'll look into LIA.

Is there any other places people recommend on here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, I'll look into LIA.

Is there any other places people recommend on here?

Come to LIA. Let me drop some knowledge bombs on ya. (I'm one of the tutors for the PT groups)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Hanley wrote: »
    Come to LIA. Let me drop some knowledge bombs on ya. (I'm one of the tutors for the PT groups)

Would LIA be suitable for someone who's just getting into this whole thing? Or would you recommend a good base of knowledge before you go??

This is in reference to your gym instructor course.

Cherrs :)

gollywog wrote: »
    Would LIA be suitable for someone who's just getting into this whole thing? Or would you recommend a good base of knowledge before you go??

This is in reference to your gym instructor course.

Cherrs :)

Gym Instructor is a no knowledge required entry point - if you can't chew your food and walk in a relatively straight line, that's enough :)

You get the basics there, pick up bits and pieces as you go (there's always tutors around to get extra info off if you ask for it) and then round out your knowledge during the PT course.

...and when I say "round out" I mean - we make a real effort to let you know it's the end of your starting point in a life time of learning :)

• Advertisement

Gym Instructor is a no knowledge required entry point - if you can't chew your food and walk in a relatively straight line, that's enough :)

You get the basics there, pick up bits and pieces as you go (there's always tutors around to get extra info off if you ask for it) and then round out your knowledge during the PT course.

...and when I say "round out" I mean - we make a real effort to let you know it's the end of your starting point in a life time of learning :)

Cheers that's fantastic news!
    After your July course, do you know when the next gym instructor course will be running?

gollywog wrote: »
    Cheers that's fantastic news!
    After your July course, do you know when the next gym instructor course will be running?

Not sure of exact dates, but last 2 weeks of August!!

Drop me a PM and ill talk you thru it all if you'd like.

Not sure of exact dates, but last 2 weeks of August!!

Drop me a PM and ill talk you thru it all if you'd like.

Perfect, I'll contact you after work thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 the.glebe

Being someone who has just finished a "Fitness" course with......i wont go naming names actually. Anyway, i was not happy with the course i had paid for. I had decent knowledge before going into the course as i had been training fairly consistently for 8 years prior to the course. i learned very very little for my 2 and a half thousand euro and was made felt very unwelcome by one the tutors who clearly has some sort of inferiority complex or confidence issue. The course seemed to be a bit of a circus and a money making raket if im honest and i wish i had gone to leisure industry academy. I have since gone down there for a look and it seems alot more professional and organized. Plus theres a great gym next door to it. Fair play for doing your homework. I wish i had done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

the.glebe wrote: »
    Being someone who has just finished a "Fitness" course with......i wont go naming names actually. Anyway, i was not happy with the course i had paid for. I had decent knowledge before going into the course as i had been training fairly consistently for 8 years prior to the course. i learned very very little for my 2 and a half thousand euro and was made felt very unwelcome by one the tutors who clearly has some sort of inferiority complex or confidence issue. The course seemed to be a bit of a circus and a money making raket if im honest and i wish i had gone to leisure industry academy. I have since gone down there for a look and it seems alot more professional and organized. Plus theres a great gym next door to it. Fair play for doing your homework. I wish i had done the same.

Not the first time ive heard this. Sounds very familiar. Unreal to think that people come out with the same qualifcations after having two totally different learning experiences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Hey

I'm looking to do a fitness course this summer to gain knowledge for myself and to help with my CV for potentially looking for a job down the line.

I noticed this course : http://www.ntc.ie/fitness-courses

has anyone do this course here?

any advice would be great

Completed the course. I will send you a PM but I came away with the impression that the course material is more suited towards what the tutors can teach as opposed to what you need to know. Exercise to music every week of the course, which is complete overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

COYW wrote: »
    Exercise to music every week of the course, which is complete overkill.
    Have always been of the opinion that all these course should deal with this issue as an 'elective'. You should have to study it and understand it and you should have to demonstrate competency in it BUT you shouldn't have to do it as a core component of the course. So few people go on to actually teach/instruct in exercise to music and those that intend on doing so are often already better at teaching it than the instructors and are just there to get their cert to allow them to do so.

By the same measure...if you are there to get your 'cert' to teach/instruct exercise to music (are we not allowed to call it 'aerobics' anymore?) you should be able to focus on that and not have to do other gym instruction components of the course.

The problem with all courses is that they tend to be designed around what's able to be taught rather than what needs to be taught...this isn't particular just to 'fitness courses' but tend to be the same in most teaching environments.

As I've said multiple times...find the cheapest, easiest and quickest avenue you can to becoming certified and insured. I would tend to look more at the courses track record with regard finding or assisting students in getting employment rather than quality or lack thereof of the instructors or course material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

whats the best all round course for gym instructor and personal training in the leisure industry academy?

whats the best all round course for gym instructor and personal training in the leisure industry academy?

The gym instructor and personal trainer course!! :D

Two seperate programs, one leads into the other.

The gym instructor and personal trainer course!! :D

Two seperate programs, one leads into the other.

is there a discount given if u do more than one course?

is there a discount given if u do more than one course?

I think so, but don't quote me on it. You also get a discount on future CPD courses.

Best bet is to ask the officials here; www.facebook.com/leisureindustry.academydublin

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

the.glebe wrote: »

Mmhhhh...wonder if this is the same crowd that I wasted my money too...
    A few of the guys in my course dropped out the course and went to do their PT somewhere else...Am planning the same and here I come LIA :-)
    I so wished I found you earlier before I got enrolled into that course after attending their "great marketing/sales" pitch...

Advertisement