Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is your grocery bill?

• 12-06-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Pretty much as above. I seem to be spending a lot of money on groceries compared to everyone I know. I'm eating relatively "clean" (very little bread and rice, no pasta, no frozen dinners). I cook all my lunches and am currently on a bulk so trying to get in as much food as I can which obviously adds a bit to the cost. I spend about €100ish a week with about half of this coming from meat I reckon. So how about everyone else who's health concious. What's your weekly bill look like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭COH

Including things like peanut butter, fish oils etc. from the health food shop me and my girlfriend probably spend in excess of 200euro a week on food. I could work it out exactly.... but I'm probably happier not knowing!

To be honest I don't mind spending a lot on food etc. we don't drink much, we both train alot and both enjoy large quantities of healthy food and look at it as an investment in ourselves as opposed to unnecessary expenditure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I usually buy striploin steaks, about €25 a week. Chicken breasts probably about 20 quid. Eggs probably about €8. Veg is about 10. Oats last me about 3 weeks and they're about 3euro a kilo.

So about 65-70 quid a week (not including whey and other supps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

bout 60 - 70 a week...aldi and local farm shop/butchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

jaysus we must be undereating !

I normally feed 2 adults 1 kid and a nipper for about 120 a week ( normally less )
    Pretty much all in bar Sunday lunch we would normally have out.

We would normally buy - 2 turkey breasts, 2 packs turkey breast fillets, 2 turkey mince, 1 pork mince, 1 pack pork chops, 1 extra lean beef mince, 3 heads broccoli, 24 eggs, celery, sweet potato, maybe a cabbage, 2 packs spinach, 1 rocket, 4 fat free natural yoghurt, 1 goats cheese log, 3 peppers, blueberries, coconut milk, 1 brown rice, 1 wholewheat pasta, 2 cans tuna and same sardines, frozen green beans, 6 bananas, 6 apples and 6 grapefruit 3, litres skim milk.

And that's bout it ! Could this be the cause of my poor muscle growth ?

( I am still fat btw )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I don't keep track of mine either but it's one area I don't worry about spending plenty on... a typical 'big shop' for me would be... green tea, coffee, berries galore (blue, black, rasp and straw! I freeze most for smoothies), courgette, avocados, cucumber, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower (occasionally), butternut squash, couple onions, peppers, scallions, spinach, couple bananas, nuts and dried fruit, chillies, sweet potato, maybe some baby potatoes, couple of large tins of tuna, lots of tins of tomatoes, tomato paste, plenty of herbs/spices etc, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, milk and maybe a dozen or 18 eggs... there's a wholesale butchers near me where I'll go for meat, usually get a pack of 25 large chicken fillets for €25, then might get some lean mince, pork chops or turkey breasts... what else, oh chicken, beef and veg stock cubes... and peanut butter, coconut oil etc...

Miscellaneous: Would usually have Ryvita crackers, an oul pack of jellies, dark choc & dessicated coconut (for making Transform's delicious energy bars!) and maybe a sneaky pack of Jaffa Cakes... or two :)

Needless to say, that's not a typical week; pasta, rice, eggs, chicken etc doesn't need to be bought every week, but that's the grub I try to keep plenty of in the house...

EDIT - things I forgot: Porridge oats (duh!), jam, sweetcorn, cherry tomatoes and jalepenos (i love em)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I reckon we spend about 80 - 100 euro a week between 2 of us.

All meat from the butchers - though we're not huge meat eaters. 1kg of beef would make 4 dinners each; we generally get 3 dinners each out of a roast chicken, etc.

All veg, fruit, dairy, eggs, oats etc come from Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Butchers are usually cheapest for chicken fillets, 10 for 10, mine are 130-140g so works out 7.40 per kilo.

High fat mince usually works out cheapest in supermarkets.

My tesco sells off cooked chickens around 6.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

About £50-£60. Chicken, eggs, tuna, wraps, bread, milk, peanut butter, sardines, pasta, potatos, cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and a couple of boxes of asda cereals for easy carbs before bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'd spend €80 or so on a Sunday and would hit the supermarket a couple of times a week on top of that.

Usually buy:
    4-6 striploin steaks
    8-10 chicken fillets
    20 eggs
    rashers
    10 tins mackerel
    loads of frozen veg
    brown rice
    canned tomatoes
    cashews

every 3 months or so I;d by a load of peanut butter and whole nuts from myprotein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I spend a lot on meat and veg. 2 cauliflowers a week, at least a multipack of peppers, pak choi, 3/4 bags of salad, 2 punnets of baby tomatoes, beansprouts, mushrooms...
    2 chicken breasts, 2 packs of prawns/mussels (mussels constantly not in stock though in my tesco :() beef medallions, salmon fillets...

I'm only shopping for one and it defo costs about 60euro a week minimum!!! Might not seem like a lot of money but it is for one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Interesting thread :) It's really made me wonder how much I spend on groceries!

My husband and I rarely cook or eat together - I eat as soon as I get home from work; my husband might eat much later, or not at all if he's had a big meal at lunchtime, preferring just to snack. We don't really eat the same foods. I do a regular order online from Tesco (we've no car and I can't carry the heavy stuff - cat litter, cleaning stuff etc.) and then buy odds and ends during the week from Nourish/Holland & Barratt/Lidl/M&S. I guess I'd probably spend about 50 quid on food in Tesco, and another 20-30 in other shops, depending what we're running out of - peanut butter etc. I hardly ever buy meat, unless you count the occasional link of cooked chorizo. My husband buys his lunch in town so he pays for those out of his own pocket; I bring my own from home and also have free milk and fruit at work. We probably eat out together once a week, the price of which varies wildly depending on where we've chosen (and which is nearly always ad hoc).

Food is one of the things I don't mind spending good money on, if I'm eating good-quality stuff and enjoying it too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I probably spend too much on food! Usually about €100 a week (or more).
    I was shopping in Tesco last night and met a work colleague who commented on the volume of food in my trolly. I jokingly said that it's only for me, and we both laughed. Except I was serious about it only being for me.

I usually buy
    For dinners,
    1.5kg of chicken, 700g mince,350gms steak
    sweet potatoes, baby white potaoes, brocolli (lots of it), carrots (organic), onions, garlic, chilli, ginger, Chorizo, Pasata,

Lunches
    Bread (whatever the healthiest bread I can find is. I know I'm weak willed buying bread but sandwiches are just the most convenient lunch food)
    Sliced meat (lots of it), vine tomatoes, cheese (mature chedar)

Breakfast
    Orange juice, cranberry juice, actimels and a mix of granola and museli
    Snacks
    Fruit, apples, bananas, plums,
    Mixed Nuts, trail mix, 72% or 85% dark choc. greek yogurts

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

For myself id average about 80-100 euro weekly. My food bill has nearly halved since I cut out all processed foods a few months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

£25 - £30 (30-35 euros), i'm a student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Nobody buying any biscuits!!!! what the hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

This post has been deleted.
    I need to budget but the wife doesn't agree.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Nobody buying any biscuits!!!! what the hell!

Hey! I had Jaffa Cakes on my list!

I've also thought of about 8 more things that I forgot but I'm not adding em, beginning to feel like a right hungry b*stard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Shopping for two, usually split it between Aldi and Tesco. I'd say around 100 euro per week for us both. Nothing much in the way of processed food, and lots of fresh veg, fruit, meat and fish. The bill goes up when I throw a few beverages into the trolley every three weeks or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I could survive on €20/week a bowl of porridge for breakfast would do me, total cost 7 cent 49 cent/week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

as little as I can (i'm a student) though I'm at home for the summer so unless there is something I want in particular I don't have to buy food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

An assload of tuna and brown rice. Clean and cheap.

Then throw in your veg and your staple meats, and you can keep the bills waaaay down.

9159040385_501da9d291_z.jpg
    Lidl by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Somehow managed to fit €71 worth of grub in one big box in Lidl earlier! Still don't know how I managed it... the mother always told me - never go food shopping on an empty stomach!

Also, who knew Cashew Nuts were so expensive?? Hanley, those homemade bars you put on the RevFit Facebook page better be worth it!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Also, who knew Cashew Nuts were so expensive??
    They have gone up a lot in the last year or so. My favourite nut, great for cooking. Salted and/or roasted nuts are 23% VAT, so raw ones are often a lot cheaper as they are zero vat. Some Asian shops have broken raw cashews really cheap. They are lovely to roast yourself.

Lidl have reasonably priced decent cashews, but once a large bag is open I polish the lot.

I get these ones in tesco now, that brand is actually tesco, one of their new ones which does not blatantly scream tesco.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262593316

There are cheaper own brand tesco ones but I would never get them again, they are crap quality, the ones above are lovely and only a little more.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268285136

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    9159040385_501da9d291_z.jpg
    Lidl by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Somehow managed to fit €71 worth of grub in one big box in Lidl earlier! Still don't know how I managed it... the mother always told me - never go food shopping on an empty stomach!

Also, who knew Cashew Nuts were so expensive?? Hanley, those homemade bars you put on the RevFit Facebook page better be worth it!! :D

Chocolate bar? Not clean brah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

rubadub wrote: »

There are cheaper own brand tesco ones but I would never get them again, they are crap quality, the ones above are lovely and only a little more.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268285136

I tried those cheaper cashews and we ate about two each and gagged. I taped up the packet and brought them back. The girl at customer services looked at me like I was bonkers when I returned them but they weren't fit for purpose.

Meat-wise, a free-range chicken is €6 (it does six portions), salmon darnes are €2.50 each (Dunnes) and Aldi fillet steaks are about €13 for two. Cottage cheese a couple of days. Veg and potatoes aren't that expensive, especially if some of them are homegrown.

What really, really pisses me off is that loo-roll is taxed as a luxury. BUM-WIPE, a luxury!

Chocolate bar? Not clean brah

In my defence - I only got four!

Advertisement