Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are We Designed For The Lives We Lead?

• 26-06-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Most animals still do whatever it is they were designed to do - hunt, scavenge etc...

But we've evolved to drive around in cars, sit in offices all day and live a life of convenience.

This can't be what we're 'supposed' to be doing. It has to be having an effect on physical as well as mental health.

Personally - I try to keep fit by running and eating healthily, although I have a love of all food and give in to temptation more often than I should!

Just wondering what other people's take is on this and whether you think we've become better or worse off (physically & mentally) in the modern age?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Depends on how you take it. I mean physically as we've become more sedentary a host of new issues have crept in. Especially with the farming methods used to support the huge over population of the world.

On the other hand medical science has gotten hugely good at what it does. We live much longer than ever before and we understand the human body in such a way that we're getting good at knowing how to reach optimal levels. There's also very little chance of dying of starvation these days. This is all speaking from a first world perspective.

Overall i think we're better off. People now have the choice to become less sedentary and you can always sort out the nutriition issues you might have if you do some research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Probably not exactly what you're looking for... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design not included would be the appendix, coccyx, larynx/phayrx junction, knee joint and a back that isn't fully suited to being upright. Organisms adapt to their environment and the other organisms in that environment but our environment is evolving faster than we are and I dont think we will ever be, naturally, suited to our environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

With regards to the mental aspect I was told(by my doc) that our brains have not evolved enough to compete with stresses/cues of everyday life causing the oul fight and flight system to be a little over sensitive in a lot of people, back in the day this would be fine and handy with the threat of being eaten around every corner :o, not as much now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

With regards to the mental aspect I was told(by my doc) that our brains have not evolved enough to compete with stresses/cues of everyday life causing the oul fight and flight system to be a little over sensitive in a lot of people, back in the day this would be fine and handy with the threat of being eaten around every corner :o, not as much now though.

Could this be a reason why anxiety and panic attacks are such a problem for so many people?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

tempnam wrote: »
    Could this be a reason why anxiety and panic attacks are such a problem for so many people?

I think so, it's what I was told so I can't say for everyone though. It does make sense though I doubt our brains were made to lounge in front of the television for hours on end, play video games, sit in front of a computer screen etc. Again I am only stating what I was told, but I'm guessing it affects our mental health in some ways:confused:. I found the link below it kind of explains what your talking about

http://www.paniccure.com/approaches/cbt/understanding_pda_1.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement