Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spend my money... find me a boat.

Options
  • 09-12-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Evening All,

I was going to buy new, but the boat (in the spec) I want wont come in a price I can afford unfortunately.

So Ive been looking around at some motorboats second hand in the hope that there was an off season bargain to be had. Alas, it seems not.

Im looking for a motorboat of a reasonable size that can take 4 adults comfortably on rivers/canals and inshore if required. Im not after an out and out speed boat and/or fishing boat but wouldnt rule them out either. I require a trailer in the package as thhe boat will be trailered everywhere.

Its a bit of a vague wishlist but I thought maybe that someone could nudge me towards something I hadnt considered before.

Now for the kicker, it has to be ready to go and come in at under e4000 or very near it anyway. My slush fund is increasing as the weeks go by but if I wait too long Ill be able to buy the boat I originally wanted, sigh.

So... spend my money.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

http://motorboats.apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=389903 :) It's a bit vague as to what you want can you give us a bit more to go on like do you want somewhere to sleep,inboard or outboard, what type of car will you be towing it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Sorry Fergal, yeah, its absolutely vague. I suppose what I really want is something open. No need for massive power either.

Towing wise I have a 4x4 but the extent of my towing could be fairly frequent. I saw a ryds 440 gt on donedeal which caught my eye, so I guess Im leaning towards something open with a console or the possibility of a console being fitted.

Ive had a 2 berth cruiser before and found that despite the handiness, the cabin/cuddy was seldom used. Id easily sacrifice a cabin/cuddy for a bimini top.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you could scrape up another few quid or ask santa to help out this looks like a nice little package http://www.adverts.ie/boats/swap-sale-galeon-galia-475-sport-boat/6624297 or if you want a bit more fun maybe one of these http://www.adverts.ie/boats/sea-doo-brp-challenger/6615040

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

That RYDS is a great buy
    The build quality is very good
    The trailer is a roller type so easy launch and tow
    And the Yamaha engine is the best there is with freshwater use
    I was going to buy the whole lot as I wanted the engine
    The only reason I didn't buy it was I need power trim and tilt
    Well worth a look
    I think it has been relisted
    The boat is in Athlone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://leinsterboats.ie/boat.php?id=74

nice new engine, good boat for coastal or lake use too.

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    If you could scrape up another few quid or ask santa to help out this looks like a nice little package http://www.adverts.ie/boats/swap-sale-galeon-galia-475-sport-boat/6624297 or if you want a bit more fun maybe one of these http://www.adverts.ie/boats/sea-doo-brp-challenger/6615040

I love that jet boat. If I had less locks to negotiate I'd be seriously tempted.

connel42 wrote: »
    That RYDS is a great buy
    The build quality is very good
    The trailer is a roller type so easy launch and tow
    And the Yamaha engine is the best there is with freshwater use
    I was going to buy the whole lot as I wanted the engine
    The only reason I didn't buy it was I need power trim and tilt
    Well worth a look
    I think it has been relisted
    The boat is in Athlone

Athlone, hmmm no not too far away at all. I must say I really like it.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    http://leinsterboats.ie/boat.php?id=74

nice new engine, good boat for coastal or lake use too.

That's a nice "little big" boat. Might be just a little to big for constant trailering.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I like that Sea Doo boat….looks like a lot of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Isn't that a petrol inboard? Break your heart and your wallet... :(

Isn't that a petrol inboard? Break your heart and your wallet... :(

Ah sure it's only a 4 cylinder and fuel prices are going down :D The 3lt mercruiser engines are not a bad engine I think it's the same block that was used in the chevy nova.

Great find. That's an easy sell to the misses too. What's to watch out for on an inboard setup. I've no experience with anything other than outboards.

It's more or less the same as an outboard the big things to check for are good compression in all cylinders, it moves through the gears and has no signs of water in the gearbox. If you can bring someone with you that knows engines to go over it for you. Add on to the cost of the boat the price of a full service and if it were me I would get a new impeller and bellows kit just to be on the safe side.

and it was too good to be true!
    Warning: "2004 Four Winns 180 Freedom"

It has come to our attention that the ad "2004 Four Winns 180 Freedom" may not be a genuine ad or may use DoneDeal to offer goods or services which are not in accordance with our policies and rules.

We would advise that you stop all interaction with this person unless you are satisfied from your own inquiries that you are happy continuing to interact with them.

So after a few weeks of looking I still haven't found anything suitable. Maybe I'm being too picky but there is a huge amount of overpriced rubbish on the market. Then the stuff that's not rubbish but is overpriced. That might explain why things are sitting on donedeal for months.

I had a little laugh to myself the other day when I saw a "mint" boat... freshly painted in emulsion.

I'll persevere and with a bit of luck find something. At least my budget creeps up as the weeks go by.

Don't be afraid to throw in low cash offers. With the new season starting in a few months, insurance renewals, marina or mooring fees, maintenance jobs, replacement items, all the costs will add up for an owner looking to offload their boat.

Don't be afraid to throw in low cash offers. With the new season starting in a few months, insurance renewals, marina or mooring fees, maintenance jobs, replacement items, all the costs will add up for an owner looking to offload their boat.

True enough. I've never liked low balling but I think your right.

I've often heard boats described as money pits but yet a lot of lads selling them seem to think that because they have invested in them the value increases. When in reality all they have done is maintained them. But then again maybe that's why the market stagnates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I've often heard boats described as money pits but yet a lot of lads selling them seem to think that because they have invested in them the value increases. When in reality all they have done is maintained them. But then again maybe that's why the market stagnates.

Bingo

Well, I finally made a purchase from a really nice chap who had a very reasonably priced boat in excellent condition.

So what did I get in the end ... A Terhi Nordic 6020 with a 20 hp Yamaha.

I'll put up a pic or two when I collect the boat over the next week or two.

Again, thanks for all the help and advice guys.

• Advertisement

Finally got around to picking her up yesterday.

Again thanks for all the help.

Lovely boat, good builder, enjoy!

Well done she looks very clean, enjoy

Advertisement