Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who uses side lights?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Gwynston wrote: »
    Lex, fair enough if you use side lights all the time and you're on the ball enough to switch on the dipped mains as soon as visibility is reduced (like you said you tend to do in winter).
    Its not just a case of being visible from the front but also from the rear and that is why I always have the parking lights on during summer time.
    Once the clocks go back its dipped lights all the time no matter what time of day

eoin_s wrote: »
    My Alfa 156 was handy for this, because I could just leave the dipped lights on the whole time. When the engine was turned off (or key removed - can't remember which), both the dipped and side lights would turn off automatically, without any warning noises. This meant I never had to turn the lights on or off.

Have to agree Eoin. I never have to think about my lights being on or not. Just by leaving the switch in teh parking or dipped position depending on time of year I always know my lights are on.

However, every time I drive my wifes car I am always getting out and leaving the lights on and wondering what the buzzer going off is for.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Yup same thing, when I collected the 159 I turned on the lights and they are never off, cept when the car is switched off...its handy not having to worry about switching them off..
    Met plenty this morning with their candles lit, IMO a torch would be better :D

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Its not just a case of being visible from the front but also from the rear and that is why I always have the parking lights on during summer time.
    Once the clocks go back its dipped lights all the time no matter what time of day

Have to agree Eoin. I never have to think about my lights being on or not. Just by leaving the switch in teh parking or dipped position depending on time of year I always know my lights are on.

However, every time I drive my wifes car I am always getting out and leaving the lights on and wondering what the buzzer going off is for.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

BrianD3 wrote: »
    -Muppets with two blown dipped headlight bulbs but too tight/stupid to replace them so they drive along on a combination of sidelights, mainbeams and front fogs

Very common. It nags me if I have a bulb blown, so I keep a spare in the glovebox. And while we are on the subject, what a rip off Halfords are. They wanted 10 euro for a bulb and I got one in the local motor factors for 3.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Totally agree with daytime dip lights on, sidelights are for parking in a dangerous plcae and that only. If you're driiving your dips should be on, stopped they should be off and just parking lights or parking lights and hazards.

You have to remember that most people wouldnt bother reading the manual for their car or know what the difference is between those lights, they might turn em on a notch during the day for rain/mist/fog but only realise they dont have their dips on when it gets really ddark and they cant see anything! Its driver ignorance, they're never taught and they never learn themselves.

Plus some do genuinly think headlights "drain the battery" or waste the buld life if they're on during the day.

Advertisement