Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifouling/Polishing

Options
  • 17-11-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I said I'd ask the people in the know…….I've finally found the boat I want, and I can't wait to get into the world of boating……I've also just started a CFT Scuba diving course so there's a lot of water related stuff going to be happening!

Anyway…..the boat…..can anybody tell me the steps you take as regards antifouling and polishing? Do you need to antifoul if you polish it? Or vice versa?

I'll be pulling it out of the water in the next week or so when it will be powerwashed, new fenders etc and I'd like to try do as much as I can myself, if that's possible. The boat will be on it's own trailer for the duration.

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

You dont polish antifoul. You polish the topsides. For anti foul wet & dry the current antifoul, mask the waterline and apply your new anti foul

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It will depend on how long you leave the boat in the water as to weather you need to antifoul if the boat has never been antifouled or painted and is just bare gelcoat you can just lift it out every few weeks and wash it. Depending on what water you use it on will decide how fast the growth will be so if she has just gelcoat I would leave it for the first season and see how you get on because once you start antifouling it will become a yearly task.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Okay, thanks lads…….I will be leaving it in New Ross which is tidal, so I presume it's mostly fresh water. So you don't polish the hull at all then? You just polish the top?

If it has antifoul already just polish from that up but if it has no antifoul or paint you can polish all the gelcoat as it helps seal it.
    Sorry I must have hit edit instead of quote :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

polishing wont seal the hull it,ll just look nice and shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm not sure salt/fresh makes much difference. If you leave it for a season in any water, stuff will move in, take up residence and grow on it.

What's on the bottom at the moment? Unless it's dry-sailed (I'm not sure what the equivalent term is for motor boats, but basically launched used and taken out every time, not left on a mooring or marina) then I'd nearly guarantee there's antifoul on it.

If this is the case then you need to sand it, and recoat it every year, usually done in the spring (for obvious reasons, you have all winter to do it and pre-the-new-season). How much sanding, and how many coats, will depend on the state of the hull and how much gunk has built up over the years.

If there's a gelcoat on the bottom, then it'll need to be taken out and rinsed down every time I think (not an expert as we leave our boat on a mooring and it's antifouled).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

neris wrote: »
    polishing wont seal the hull it,ll just look nice and shiny.

In a way it will help seal it as fiberglass and gelcoats are porous to some extent and wax can help seal some of these tiny holes and hairline cracks preventing blistering it will also make the boat go faster :D

It's not taken out every time, it's on a berth all the time. I would suspect it's going to be pretty dirty once I get it out…….I'll have tennis elbow by the time i'm finished scrubbing it!

How is antifoul applied? Like polish or paint?

It's not taken out every time, it's on a berth all the time. I would suspect it's going to be pretty dirty once I get it out…….I'll have tennis elbow by the time i'm finished scrubbing it!

How is antifoul applied? Like polish or paint?
    It's paint - easy enough to apply but needs to be reasonably warm and very well mixed. We use the foam gloss rollers as we need the smoothest finish we can manage for racing - you'll need gloves and a complete covering of old/disposable clothes, including hat and mask (esp for the sanding bit). It's poison, and should be kept off the skin and definitely not breathed in as dust.

It's fairly faffy, but easily doable.

It's also WILDLY expensive! 120 quid a tin....... start saving early!

If the bottom is bad, an electric sander would make life a lot easier, but go easy with it (we exposed fibreglass one year when we got a bit over-enthusiastic :eek: we stuck to sandpaper after that!)

I asked the previous owner, he said I should be okay with a wash and polish…….that sound right to you?

I asked the previous owner, he said I should be okay with a wash and polish…….that sound right to you?
    I'm no expert, but if it's going to be left in the water for a prolonged period of time, stuff will grow on it.

It's different in our case as we're racing so a smooth bottom (ooh er missus :eek:) is essential.

I suppose it depends on how particular you are.

Post up some pics when you have her out on the trailer, might be easier to get an idea of what can/should be done.

ETA - also, as regards your last post - if it has antifouling on it at the moment, every time you powerwash it you'll strip more and more of it away (make sure you're not doing it beside your car or beautifully painted house!!!) - so it really all depends on what's on it at the moment and what state it's in. Pics will help.

• Advertisement

Some good paints can give up to 3 years protection so if it was done recently it could be fine with a wash, like HH say's photos will help :)

You're right.......no point worrying until I lift it! Anybody got a good recommendation for white polish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Great advice there from Heidi!:)

I fully support the need to have a smooth bottom, particularly when racing. This is because it becomes both obvious and apparent when leaning over and a broader expanse than usual is exposed. If the bottom is not smooth to start with, it will soon have a blotchy or blemished look which is neither appropriate, visually attractive nor shipshape. Those appearances deteriorate considerably when the bottom is wet, and worse, when it’s old and wet.
    Constant slapping in water does- as Heidi rightly says - degrade the surface and this leads to further deterioration of its molecular structure. As for the “stripping” she mentions above, I agree with her suggestion that you do not do it by your car as whatever about the house, the neighbours could react badly for or even call the Gardai if they see you out there with the suggested camera, a hose, sponge and detergent. She’s correct when she says “it really all depends on what's on it at the moment and what state it's in.” and “Post up some pics when you have her out on the trailer.”

It’s you call if you want to ‘lift it’ but that carries its own inherent risks and is not always a foolproof solution.

Bottom line – be discreet, but do post a few pics and we will advise!;)

Thanks everyone, great advice. What I mean by "lift" is actually just pulling it out onto its trailer. Sorry for the mixup!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

just seen this thread .
    let me just say . if the boat you have has the original gelcoat with no antifoul what so ever on it . then just wash & wax it . it will be fine . if the boat has been anti fouled before then you will have to apply antifoul again . what colour and at what price is entirely up to you .
    here,s my boat with the original gelcoat and it is left in a mooring all season long when the boating season is over it is taken out of the water and power washed & wax ready for next season . hope this helps you understand the boating practise . all the best with your new boat .

ps , as a matter of interest what boat did you buy anyway post some photo,s if you could .

Thanks very much for the reply Lockmaster, it's very much appreciated. FYI I bought a Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, 2002. 5.0 Mercruiser engine in it. Very happy/nervous/apprehensive!! 😜

believe you me you will soon get the hang of it . the boating community are the best people around . you will never be stuck for anything if there,s anything you need to know or are not sure of just ask and you will be told .

very nice boat you got there happy boating .:):):)

Thank you.....!! I went down last weekend just for a look and got talking to a guy on a berth beside mine.....I gave him a hand to tie up his boat and we got chatting, it certainly seems to be a very friendly community alright. :)

you,ll be fine don,t fret . i only bought my boat in july 2013 and already i,m a expert with good friends that won,t see me wrong . if i have a problem i just ask and it,s sorted . and there,s all ways plenty of help on this form so just enjoy it .

Advertisement