Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trailer wheel studs / nuts.

• 02-11-2014 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

My trailer wheel nuts are siezed solid.
    Havnt taken them off in a few years and are a bit rusty.
    I sprayed them a few times with wd 40 and then used a wheel brace with a long bar on it to try take off one of the nuts... The stud on the hub snapped clean off.

Was going to try going to a tyre place to use their air gun.. Might work them free that way.

Any other suggestions I could try??
    Hoping I could well on a new stud when I get all the wheel nuts off.

Have two wheels with almost new tyres ready to go on.. Existing tyres are well past it.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The air gun should work or you could try a bit of heat failing that just use the long bar and if they snap you can replace them for a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Use a socket ( the correct one) with a breaker bar, and the long bar you have instead of the tire iron.. Make sure not to round the nut or else you cause more pain for yourself.
    It should come off, if not use heat like fergal suggested.

Studs are easily replaced once no nut is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

As the lads said, heat the bejesus out of it (from behind as well if poss) give the stud a few taps with a hammer, it might be worthwhile putting another nut on the stud before you hit it to protect the threads.
    If the nuts do snap off its not the end of the world as they are replaceable. They are a spline fit into the hub if that makes sense. Once the thing has sheared, the tension should be off the stud, and it should be easier to tap it through from the front and replace the stud.
    You could also try using an impact driver to shock them out. I would imagine they are available to hire if you don't have one.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Personally I'd try the impact driver first (air gun), they normally do the trick……failing that heat, but heat the nut not the thread……you're looking to expand the nut, not the thread.

If the studs snap off, as others have said they are easily replaced in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

14 months later.......
    Be careful that you are not tightening a left hand thread. Just saying, happened me once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement