Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimating rough development cost for scheme of semi-d housing

Options
  • 08-10-2015 9:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can offer some opinion on this please. I'm wondering how would one start out putting together a high level cost estimate for the construction of a small scheme of generic semi-d type housing.

I know I must factor in landscaping/groundworks, professionals' fees for planning & design, roads, water & wastewater, the houses themselves, estate agent fees.

-snip-

But I am aware that it , obviously, is somewhat out of date and does not include for the introduction BCR.

Is anyone aware of a more up to date resources or can suggest any add on costs or construction price inflation over the past 3 years?

I see that risk/profit is at 15% in this document. I would have been aiming for 10% but I'm wondering is this realistic in the Cork market? Building for less than this would seem to me anyway to be not worth one's while.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure anybody on here really can advise.

If I were you I'd contact a local QS, pay them for an hour or two or their time, and at the end of that you should have a fairly comprehensive idea of costs associated with the type of development you are considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Lets see.
    A would be multi unit develepor seeking cost information from a sub forum of a home and garden forum.
    Right next to DIY.
    Sign me up to buy a unit in Phase 1.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lets see.
    A would be multi unit develepor seeking cost information from a sub forum of a home and garden forum.
    Right next to DIY.
    Sign me up to buy a unit in Phase 1.....

And they will be certified by the developer himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

^
    Thanks for that! It is interesting. It's about €50k greater than the estimate I posted in the link above.
    I'm guessing this is partially due to the fact that there's been a bit of a pick up since 2012 and mostly because the estimate is for a house in Dublin. The recent BCR regime probably adds a relatively small amount per unit.

Would timber frame houses be any bit cheaper to construct than masonry houses?? Are they more difficult to sell than masonry? I would imagine they would be - I wouldn't buy a timber frame house? It's a case of doing a cost benefit analysis I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

From much of what I've seen so far the costs are comparable for masonry vs timber frame. Timber frame might be slightly cheaper but I'd imagine the saving would be offset by the risk of slower sales due to buyers might be wary of timber frame. Especially so given the irish cautiousness with anything remotely diverging from tradition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

From much of what I've seen so far the costs are comparable for masonry vs timber frame. Timber frame might be slightly cheaper but I'd imagine the saving would be offset by the risk of slower sales due to buyers might be wary of timber frame. Especially so given the irish cautiousness with anything remotely diverging from tradition.

I wouldn't imagine so.

Many many timber frame houses being built in Dublin at the moment, including estates in North Dublin.

Kingspan seem to be active in this area. Lots of certification and attention to detail required.

I have a timber Frame myself, in an estate of 100 houses give or take built in 2006.

I turned my heating on for the first time since March this week and that was only done because we have a 6 week old in the house, so they do also have their benefits.

Advertisement