Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Irish spelling easy for 7 year old

Options
  • 15-09-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My daughter has just started 2nd class and in week 2 seems to be already struggling with Irish spellings along with several of her classmates. The problem is that they have been taught to read and spell English phonetically which has been a major success, with the level of reading and writing in English at this early stage being incredible.
    She is a very bright child but cannot however phonetically spell the Irish words as they do not sound at all like English eg ceapairí and this is really upsetting her. I have also spoken to a number of other Mums who are having tears and tantrums at home because of this.
    It seems that Irish is still being taught in schools now the same way I learnt it over 30 years ago with no focus on oral before written and you can see already that the kids are taking a turn against the language.
    Does anybody have any suggestions on how to teach small children how to spell Irish and make it actually enjoyable whilst challenging to them?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gael Mire

jeanb wrote: »
    My daughter has just started 2nd class and in week 2 seems to be already struggling with Irish spellings along with several of her classmates. The problem is that they have been taught to read and spell English phonetically which has been a major success, with the level of reading and writing in English at this early stage being incredible.
    She is a very bright child but cannot however phonetically spell the Irish words as they do not sound at all like English eg ceapairí and this is really upsetting her. I have also spoken to a number of other Mums who are having tears and tantrums at home because of this.
    It seems that Irish is still being taught in schools now the same way I learnt it over 30 years ago with no focus on oral before written and you can see already that the kids are taking a turn against the language.
    Does anybody have any suggestions on how to teach small children how to spell Irish and make it actually enjoyable whilst challenging to them?
    Thank you

Have you discussed these concerns with her teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jeanb

No, I am a bit reluctant at the moment. The teacher is just following the curriculum anyway so I think that her hands are tied. Have since been talking to more Mums about it and they are also annoyed and concerned over the difficulty with the learning. I did Honours Irish for Leaving Cert many moons ago and I don't ever remember it being this difficult at 7 years of age. I am hoping that some technique for learning might come to light. Her spellings last night were so difficult again, I actually feel so sorry for her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There will be plenty of words in English that she won't be able to spell phonetically either. Think about some of the sounds in words like rough, laugh, taught, imagine, photograph, colour, etc. Then remember how confusing homophones can be (for example, the number of adults who confuse "their, there, they're" is infuriating). Phonics are grand as a guide, but they won't work for everything.

Reassure the poor child that she's only starting out with a new language and that she doesn't need to get upset about it while she's getting used to it. There are different rules for different languages. Some have different symbols altogether, or even different scripts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Irish homework here us s humorous calamity.

Neither of us know any Irish -so I don't know the instructions, neither of us can pronounce the words or know what the mean, so it turns into a rap beat boxing of letters than mean nothing.

It's not worth stressing over as the return on the stress investment is a negative sum game.

Also 2nd class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jeanb

Thank you for all the responses. I absolutely know it's only the start of learning the language and she is very young but is this not the time to engage kids when they love school and learning? I just think there must be a different way of learning it. Having lived in other countries, it seems a shame that their method of teaching foreign languages seems to be so more effective than us teaching our own national language. Why can't they just speak away "as Gaeilge" in classerooms with maybe some reading thrown in for the first few years until they get over the discomfort and get used to the sound and sight of Gaelic words?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Thank you for all the responses. I absolutely know it's only the start of learning the language and she is very young but is this not the time to engage kids when they love school and learning? I just think there must be a different way of learning it. Having lived in other countries, it seems a shame that their method of teaching foreign languages seems to be so more effective than us teaching our own national language. Why can't they just speak away "as Gaeilge" in classerooms with maybe some reading thrown in for the first few years until they get over the discomfort and get used to the sound and sight of Gaelic words?

There should have been 3 years of Irish without reading or writing from junior infants through to the end of 1st class. The curriculum states that writing & reading should start in 2nd class with the main emphasis still on games, songs , stories and other communicative forms but how teachers choose to teach Irish can differ from the curriculum unfortunately. For instance, officially English should not be used during the Irish lesson at all.

You need to speak to the teacher before this becomes an issue with the child. I had the same experience with my oldest and after speaking to the teacher, she decided to stop all Irish spellings for a month and then re introduce them gradually. It worked a treat. I was worried that if I did nothing, my daughter would never have progressed in Irish as she was getting obsessed with failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

No, I am a bit reluctant at the moment. The teacher is just following the curriculum anyway so I think that her hands are tied.

The teaching world is like a lot of other worlds....imperfect....where there are good and not so good.....where some know where their pupils are at and others do not know.....and wind up teaching "over their heads" - "above their ability to grasp what is being taught". On the matter of the curriculum.....where there are a number of teachers in the school - as pupils change classes and teachers...there is a possibility of a vacuum developing unless there is joined up thinking on what is taught in each class (i.e. that the next class takes up where the previous class left off).

I would suggest that initially for your own benefit have a look at the School inspectors reports on the school - see Map search at:- http://www.education.ie/en/Find-a-School/

You will need to get the actual School roll number in order to access the school report....and you may have to do a little digging around in the education.ie website in order to get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Also, there is nothing in the curriculum about spellings per se - in fact they are not compulsory in either language though most schools follow the age old tradition of Friday tests.

You need to speak to the teacher before this becomes an issue with the child. I had the same experience with my oldest and after speaking to the teacher, she decided to stop all Irish spellings for a month and then re introduce them gradually. It worked a treat. I was worried that if I did nothing, my daughter would never have progressed in Irish as she was getting obsessed with failure.

Yeah there is a strong chance of the attrition of self esteem.

My boy fails every Friday test, gets not one word right. He had very high literacy and math skills, so he's not stupid.

It's not worth the stress frankly so I don't really care, as it is of no benefit to him long term to learn it.

It's not the kids faults it's taught so badly either.

• Advertisement

zeffabelli wrote: »

It's not worth the stress frankly so I don't really care, as it is of no benefit to him long term to learn it.

I am sorry to say that you have got it totally wrong in the comment that it is of no benefit to him long term. It's another language and the ability to "struggle" with becoming competent in a second language is a life enhancing skill that will reap rewards much later in life.

There are real benefits to being competent in the Irish language - as many have discovered to their cost....so why close a door to opportunity so early in life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So is that the advice you would give the OP? Tell her to tell her child that it's perfectly fine to pick and choose what parts of the curriculum are worth working on?

What if the child was struggling with another subject, would you have them give up on that too?

An File wrote: »
    So is that the advice you would give the OP? Tell her to tell her child that it's perfectly fine to pick and choose what parts of the curriculum are worth working on?

What if the child was struggling with another subject, would you have them give up on that too?

I'm only saying what I do, not what others should do with their kids.

It's not worth the effort or struggle, on certainly holds no parity with other subjects that matter. I lump it in the religion pile aka expensive vanity projects that take up valuable learning time.

It's not worth the effort or struggle, on certainly holds no parity with other subjects that matter. I lump it in the religion pile aka expensive vanity projects that take up valuable learning time.

Mod note: In that case, please refer to point #2 in the Gaeilge(Irish) forum charter. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Startagain2010

If I was in this situation I would definitely speak to the teacher. If enough parents explain that their child is really struggling perhaps she can adjust the amount of words being given, give easier words or leave it altogether like someone else suggested and start again in a month or so. You're child being upset every pm is not right and no teacher would want this.

Yeah there is a strong chance of the attrition of self esteem.

My boy fails every Friday test, gets not one word right. He had very high literacy and math skills, so he's not stupid.

It's not the kids faults it's taught so badly either.

I beg to differ. I thought the Teacher handled the situation brilliantly, with the best interests of all her pupils. My daughter was getting into a state and it was affecting all her classes. The teacher took away the problem and reintroduced it slowly with success and a happy child (and Mammy). I'm not overly fond of the language, but it does give a foundation for learning other languages, especially French.

I lump it in the religion pile aka expensive vanity projects that take up valuable learning time.

Once again - with apologies - vanity projects are those that reflect back to the individual as he / she looks in the mirror (enhancing self-image) - the objective of each passing generation is to expand not only the "comfort zones" but also the educational capacities of each following generation - rather than confining their offspring to remain forever locked in the straightjacket of "picking what's easy".

On the "religion pile" you will find events like first communion and confirmation - the critical question is do you subscribe to vanity projects such as these - expressing a point of view is one thing -- being sincere and sticking to beliefs is another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Why don't you teach her a few individual diphthongs and build up on that so that she'll have confidence at learning a few bits. The great thing about Irish spelling is that it's so much more standard than English so if she learns a diphthong that's it done.

Then maybe do individual consonants and how the seimhiu affects the sound of it, one by one.

Etc. Etc.

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Once again - with apologies - vanity projects are those that reflect back to the individual as he / she looks in the mirror (enhancing self-image) - the objective of each passing generation is to expand not only the "comfort zones" but also the educational capacities of each following generation - rather than confining their offspring to remain forever locked in the straightjacket of "picking what's easy".

On the "religion pile" you will find events like first communion and confirmation - the critical question is do you subscribe to vanity projects such as these - expressing a point of view is one thing -- being sincere and sticking to beliefs is another

Im not really sure I understand your question. I'm limited in what I can answer because the charter forbids criticism of the language or of its imposed and required learning. So I can't really say anything about that here, the rest of your question is bewildering and not sure how it pertains to having to learn a language you are indifferent to.

The relevancy of your first paragraph is entirely unclear.

Im not really sure I understand your question. I'm limited in what I can answer because the charter forbids criticism of the language or of its imposed and required learning. So I can't really say anything about that here, the rest of your question is bewildering and not sure how it pertains to having to learn a language you are indifferent to.

The relevancy of your first paragraph is entirely unclear.

And this post is relevant to the thread because...

Remember though, it's not about learning a language which you are indifferent to, it is about your children learning a language which you are indifferent to.

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    And this post is relevant to the thread because...

Remember though, it's not about learning a language which you are indifferent to, it is about your children learning a language which you are indifferent to.

No he is indifferent too and its just making him feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

OP,how many spellings does your child get each night?

Our school doesn't give any until 3rd class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

My kids go to gaelscoil so Irish spellings less of a problem as they have Irish immersal (sp) from naoinra. They get 12 Irish words and 20 English words to learn over the week in 2nd class, with a test on Friday. I have read before that a good way to learn spellings is to write them out several times rather than spelling them aloud.

Neither of us understand the instructions so I have no idea.

I'd be pretty impressed if he were enthusiastic about learning something which his parents have clearly such a poor opinion of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Thank you

1. You need to speak with the teacher.

2. Regarding spelling, I'm not sure if it's right that there should be emphasis on it so early. Nevertheless, if you explain even the most basic rule of spelling - i.e. "caol le caol, leathan le leathan" - that will help her immensely with writing. From that, she'll know (most of the time) what vowel will come after a consonant. It will give her good confidence about her spelling, and that makes other things easier to learn.

3. Although it's used from 2nd class on, I would find it helpful to have Leon Mac Aogáin's verb glance card around the house, if only for you at this stage to be able to help her with patterns in her homework - e.g. "fidh/faidh" being endings in future tense, etc. I think making a point of seeking patterns is the key to cracking any language

4. Regarding pronunciation, at a basic level, this is a very good introduction.

5. I've been in teachers' homes and they've got everything in the house with a poster with its Irish name - e.g. doras/an doras sign on the door, fuinneog/an fhuinneg on the window, etc. I think their children actually made/drew them, learning spelling lessons that way. I think that's a brilliant way to bring the written language into their everyday lives.

6. Although I've never used it, Gaschaint (including cds) is widely respected and is used for Junior infants up according to that website. I have Leabhar Mór na bhFocal Gaeilge and it's certainly great for younger kids (4-7 years old), with pictures and names attached to each one.

You also appear to be indifferent to religion - categorizing it as a "vanity project". Your conviction on how much of a vanity project it is will be most severely tested come First Communion and Confirmation.

There are many aspects of personal development that, it appears, your child will be cut off from. Embrace your indifference and transform it is all I can really say to you - otherwise you are depriving you child of personal choices later in life (when he comes to the age of reason).

Hibrasil wrote: »
    You also appear to be indifferent to religion - categorizing it as a "vanity project". Your conviction on how much of a vanity project it is will be most severely tested come First Communion and Confirmation.

There are many aspects of personal development that, it appears, your child will be cut off from. Embrace your indifference and transform it is all I can really say to you - otherwise you are depriving you child of personal choices later in life (when he comes to the age of reason).

Thanks for the guilt trip. But I see right through it and it won't work on me. I don't take kindly to emotional blackmail, despite my Catholic education priming me for it.

Next you'll be telling me I'm driving the nails in deeper.

No I won't.....because to try telling you anything would be like engaging in dialogue with someone who want validation of their own folly and in the long run I believ you really do not want to hear (take on board) what anybody else has to say.

Over and Out!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Not much of this would be the teacher's fault, Irish is generally taught crappily, but if there's a whole class complaining maybe see the teacher just in case. OP make sure it's clear to your child that this is a different language, and the phonics she learned in Junior infants don't apply to Irish. This may sound blatantly obvious but being 7 she's probably too young to understand that. Imagine if you tried to apply English phonics to a French sign, because you're not aware that "h" could make another sound than "huh"; it's exactly like that. Reassure her that she will get the hang of it with some practise, and please please please try to avoid a bad outlook on learning Irish, it's a trap that so many parents and children fall into and does them no favours academically. Like I said, it's taught horrendously in non-Gaelscoil schools, so you could try and make it fun for her. You could encourage the oral use of the vocab she learns around the house "put the scuab behind the doras", or you could go all-out, doing stuff like getting her to make label cards and stick them around the house with blu-tack as a fun project; she'd see them every day and know their spelling and pronunciation out of familiarity. I hope it gets sorted, good luck! :)

Advertisement