Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OK - I give up, lets see what you can do . . . .

• 05-05-2014 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

OK, I give up, after having sowed my oats for many's a year and reached middle age, I have to finally admit it's time to take this health and fitness lark a bit more seriously.

So here I am looking for every and any good advice regarding a suitable exercise and diet pro gramme to suit the likes of me.

Here's the low down about me :

- I'm about 3-4 stone overweight

Exercise

- I like walking, but I don't like running at all and never will
    - I walk about 10km a week, and do a few press ups and sit ups a few times a week, but that's really about it, I'm fairly sedentary.
    - I like a little bit of cycling, bit only on a normal bike, and as long as there is no spandex, lycra, or drop handlebars and bull shyte involved whatsoever
    - I don't like the gym at all, it reminds me of looking at mice on a wheel, i do like a bit of weights, and just simple body exercises at home, but I don't like any bull shyte. I'm even game for a bit of pilates, but don't dare mention that yoga shyte.
    - I do like a bit of swimming, sauna and steam room now and again

Diet

- I quit all biscuits and cakes and bars about three months ago, but funny I lost no weight at all, but good thing is i've no desire for them now
    - I don't really drink much, a few pints once a month and the odd wedding
    - I eat porrige every morning, and sangwich at lunch, and a good old spud type dinner in the evening, other evenings i'll eat a pasta or rice dish, like a curry.
    - I get hungry again about 8pm and I might have a bit of toast or a sangwich
    - I don't ever put salt on any of my food.
    - I do eat too much processed foods, and I'm open to a bit more veg and even jucing, but please don't get carried away.

Anyways, what I;m doing now is now working at all. I get a bit heavier and unfitter every year, so I need to stop the rot.

Drastic changes don't work with me, I need gradual changes . . .

Now, I'll hand it over to all you fitness gurus to best advise the likes of me, and what will and won't work . . . . .

I'm not looking to break any sports records here, just to get to a normal weight and feel fit and healthy again and to make and maintain permanent, sustainable, changes.

The best overall advice and post gets my undying thanks.

Over to you . . . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Less calories in than out.

It ain't hard bro, just takes discipline, but you'll have to teach yourself to not eat everytime you want to, have to show restraint, after a while it will become second nature. Don't take it too serious though unless you want to appear on the cover of Mens Health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Yoga and Pilates, are essentially the same thing. Pilates is a version of yoga. Don't knock it.

Find exercise you enjoy, do at least 3 hours a week as a minimum. Stretch plenty, ideally have a good stretch every day if you can, and before/after exercise if you can. Eat clean chicken, fish, steak, eggs, veg, fruit, nuts, beans lentils etc. Lot's of water. I use the sauna regular as it's good for a little bit of everything, I see you do this and it should help with aches and muscle recovery.

Get a cheap blender. A good idea is frozen spinach, berries, low sugar cranberry juice, green tea possibly some flax seed. Mix that in a blender and there will be very little taste from the spinach (kale another idea) quick, cheap, easy and plenty of stuff in there that is good for you.

Other meals look to include protein in all of them, limit carbs and have a look at your portions. A good idea that is very frequently recommended is to keep track of what you eat using myfitnesspal.com for a bit, just to get an idea of the shape of your diet. I was quite surprised by how high in sugar everything was, and how low in fiber and potassium my diet was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

First of all, it's your food that needs to be addressed. The improvement you want is at least 80% diet.

Use an app like MyFitnessPal to track exactly what you eat and drink. That means knowing the weight of what you eat so you'll need to use a scales initially just to get an idea of the weight of the portion sizes you have and the portion sizes you should be having, in some instances. Before long you'll know by looking at them.

A lot of people think they eat healthily because there's nothing terribly bad in what they eat, per se. But if you're overeating, then you'll put on weight. If you go to the scoobysworkshop.com you'll be able to work out what level of calories you should be eating. But as a rule of thumb, the less processed it is, the better it will be for you..

In terms of exercise, just find something you like. The gym isn't a silver bullet - if you've no interest, you won't keep it up. Try Pilates if you like. Not sure why you wouldn't try yoga but to each his own. Or whatever activity floats your boat.

But it all kicks off from how much food you're eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

thanks folks . . . keep it coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The foods you are eating probably aren't particularly bad, you are simply eating too much.
    Eat less, move more

• Advertisement

I do eat a bit too much processed stuff at times, I like cooking but I ain't always got time.

Funny thing is I can take or leave meat, I like fruit and veg, but can never find too much intresting to make/eat from it.

Yeah you're right I don't eat too bad some/most of the time, I think, but I've got a very good appeitite, that is hard to satisfy, and I don't do enough exercise. I just find most exercise far too boring, and hampster on wheel type stuff. I also like low profile stuff, and not out in public with the lycra and spandex shyte.

It's not just about the types of food you eat. The quantity is important, which is why you need to track your food.

I tried tracking the calories for a month or two in the past, it worked for a short while, but I was always left hungry and I can't see me doing that adding up every day for the rest of me life. For me, I need a simpler more natural system and routine than that.

As I said, it's something you only need to do until you have a handle on how much you're eating. You'll know how much is in your porridge, how much is in your sandwich, etc etc. Unless you've an idea whether or not you're eating more than you burn, then you're on a road to nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

Essentially you want results, but without the work it involves. Not going to happen with that attitude. You must make sacrifices and do things you don't want to.

I've piled on weight the last few months. I hate running, but it's effective for fat loss (doing bodyweight routine also) so I'll be out at 05:45 in the morning and I'll be counting calories and I hate that too. Nobody likes doing that, but guess what...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Counting calories really helps.

I started doing it a few years back, and it was a pain in the hole. After a month or two, though, you'll know from looking, about how many calories are in your food.

If you don't like the gym, fine. Find something you do like, and do it. Join classes even. No need to wear spandex and lycra. Jesus, when I exercise, it's baggy men's shorts (I'm female) and a tank top! Wouldn't touch lyrca unless it was of benefit to me with a particular exercise I was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ryan101 wrote: »
    I do eat a bit too much processed stuff at times, I like cooking but I ain't always got time.
    I was saying you eat too much in general. Not just bad/processed food.
    Homemade meat and veg might be perfectly healthy, but eat too much and you'll put on weight

luches, dinners, and some evenings is where i fall down, any tips ?

luches, dinners, and some evenings is where i fall down, any tips ?

Being prepared is a big help.

And knowing how much you're eating, in terms of calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Eat lean and start doing some proper training.
    Get to a gym 3 days a week and start doing some weights.
    If you really want to see a change, this is the best way.
    Stick to meat, eggs, vegetables and keep the carbs low until your weight starts dropping.
    As you get leaner your insulin sensitivity will improve and your body will be able to deal with the carbs a lot better.
    Do big cook ups and plan all your meals a day in advance.

Any food types that I should particulary avoid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Any food types that I should particulary avoid ?

Processed.

I also hear a lot about avoiding bread and carbs in general, and eating more fruit and veg.

Any tips for that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmyk

I tried tracking the calories for a month or two in the past, it worked for a short while, but I was always left hungry and I can't see me doing that adding up every day for the rest of me life. For me, I need a simpler more natural system and routine than that.

The reality of this is that you're going to have to deal with a bit of hunger. It's going to require both effort and discipline no matter what way you cut it.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

1. Count your calories as you have done before. You only really have to do this for a short period of time to get a handle on how much you should be taking in. Check periodically to make sure you're on track. Tweak and improve as you get results.

2. Reduce your portion sizes and increase your food quality. If you eat less processed foods/drinks and more whole foods you'll get a bigger volume of food and therefore less likely to overeat with less hunger etc. Tweak and improve as you get results.

Essentially they are both the same thing despite endless internet arguments every single day of the week.

On the exercise front, it's entirely possible to exercise without ever having to wear lycra, so just pick something you enjoy doing while wearing a nice pair of shorts.

So whats all this talk I hear about juciing vegtables and such like about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Man no offence but there's plenty of advice available on here to get you going.

Time to stop posting, get active and eat healthy - it's not rocket science.

And it's going to take time - there is no quick fix.

Hard work, discipline and dedication but the rewards will be worth it.

So whats all this talk I hear about juciing vegtables and such like about ?

It's how people increase their veg intake. It's not necessary if you get plenty of veg in your meals.

Cheers, so are carbs completely out then ?

Cheers, so are carbs completely out then ?

No.

Everything in moderation.

Some people find they get results from going low carb but it's not for everyone.

You're better off not getting bogged down on that until you've sorted out how much you eat and clean it up a bit.

Don't overthink it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you want this to work, you're going to have to put up with a few bits where you feel unpleasant. Let yourself go without the extra sandwich, be hungry now and again. You write of a lot of exercise as shyte, and there is a lot of 'I dont like' and 'I cant' in what you will and will not try. That needs to change. The positives I see are walking, cycling, and swimming. So do more of those. Cut out bread, pasta potatoes, replace with meat and veg.

Ultimately, reading your post, the underlying thing you are saying is 'Don't Change Me'. This is shyte, you wont try that... But you already know you HAVE to change, its why you posted here! So work on the mindset a little too, and try to be more open to things you previously wouldn't consider.

No, what I did was lay out what type of exercise I liked and didn't like, so I don't receive a thousand and one unsuitable suggestions. Not everyone has to exercise the same way.

Instead of helping, you can try and project a negative image of me if you want, but it's false.
    But you have been very useful to confirm my suspicions about some fitness preachers.
    I liked flushing that out.

Other posters were much more helpful and positive, so thanks again to them for their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nah, your tone didn't come across well. You need to use more :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No, what I did was lay out what type of exercise I liked and didn't like, so I don't receive a thousand and one unsuitable suggestions. Not everyone has to exercise the same way.

Instead of helping, you can try and project a negative image of me if you want, but it's false.
    But you have been very useful to confirm my suspicions about some fitness preachers.

Other posters were much more helpful and positive, so thanks again to them for their advice.
    That wasnt the intention. I probably should have used more smileys alright.

Good luck with it, anyway.

Not really fair. It did initally read like you were a bit inflexible as to what you would and wouldn't do.

Anyone that wants to change their lifestyle has to try do change what they currently do rather than shoehorn changes into their current lifestyle. That's all that was being suggested.

If you're open to trying things you don't do at the minute in an effort to improve matters, that's great and it's more likely to see you get the results you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Basically you need to move more and eat less. There's loads of different diets and ways of eating but at the end of the day if you have a decent calorie deficit every day, the lbs are likely to drop.

Firstly there is no quick fix and nothing is certain. Different diets work for different people. Some people eat no carbs, some do weight watchers, paleo, 5:2....theres tons! Its finding out what works for you. Try and cut out the bad stuff first. Refined sugar, greasy fastfood, convenience foods and try cook from scratch. If you google 'healthy dinners/lunches etc' a rake of recipes and ideas will come up.

Have your porridge but check the portion size. Also maybe cook with low fat millk or water. Leave out sugar and add some fruit/honey. Eggs on wholemeal are another good brekkie. Watch the portions though.

For lunch the sambo is grand (depending on the filling) but you might be better with a salad or meat/veg combo Make extra of your healthy dinner and bring in for lunch. Lean meats are great with veg and salad or maybe make some soup. Try eat good carbs such as wholemal (in moderation) sweet potato/quinoa/oats.

For dinner I would personally avoid starchy carbs and eating too late if at all possible. Lean meat again with vegetables (chicken/prawn stirfry,turkey bolognese etc)are good options.

Snack with small amounts of fats such as almonds/almond butter on apples and fruit. Just be careful to watch the amount. Too much of anything will up your calories even if it is healthy.

No one can tell you what exercise to do..only you know what you like. You definitely don't have to run but a mix of cardio and strength is ideal. Walking is good but probably wont shed the lbs like you want.You would really want to be walking a good 5km-10km 5 times a week to drop real weight.
    Try a local class (TRX etc) or join a gym and get a programme made up. If you cant afford this then try cycle to work and/or get a good workout DVD (insanity/Jillian Michales).

Obviously these are the things that work for me and everyone is different. You will have to eat and do things that are not what you want but it will be worth it in the end. Its about changing your views on exercise and diet. Be positive about your change and open to suggestions and advice.

Advertisement