Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal Trainers

• 14-04-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭

Looking for some recommendations for personal trainers in the Dublin 15 / Dublin 1 / 2 areas.

I know there has been threads before but they all seem to be from last year and some of their pages don't seem too active.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

PM sent with suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭COH

Me. But I'm biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

COH wrote: »
    Me. But I'm biased

Can't see why you would be..

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Can't see why you would be..

:pac:

One of his QLs is f*cked. Always pulls to one side.

...anyway I turd COH. Yeah, turd him.

But I'd also back his recommendation of himself. He's one of the 3 or 4 guys in the city I'd listen to.

Hanley wrote: »
    One of his QLs is f*cked. Always pulls to one side.

...anyway I turd COH. Yeah, turd him.

But I'd also back his recommendation of himself. He's one of the 3 or 4 guys in the city I'd listen to.

OP, take it from someone who's been tutored by Hanley, if he's recommending COH it's saying something about his quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 xLollyx

Hi,

Looking for a personal trainer in Carlisle Gym Dublin 12.

We are actually wondering if any personal trainer would do joint sessions and a good deal for this? We would like to begin training once a week and maybe build this up if we feel it is worth it.

Myself and my father are 30 odd years apart, but I can nearly assure you he is fitter and healthier than me!! :/
    But he was concerned that maybe a personal trainer wouldn't be able to train a male and female of different ages together?

If anyone can give a quote and let me know if they're interested that would be brilliant

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gockers

Can anyone recommend a PT near Rathmines/Portobello?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Gockers wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a PT near Rathmines/Portobello?

COH, read up a few posts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

xLollyx wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a personal trainer in Carlisle Gym Dublin 12.

We are actually wondering if any personal trainer would do joint sessions and a good deal for this? We would like to begin training once a week and maybe build this up if we feel it is worth it.

Myself and my father are 30 odd years apart, but I can nearly assure you he is fitter and healthier than me!! :/
    But he was concerned that maybe a personal trainer wouldn't be able to train a male and female of different ages together?

If anyone can give a quote and let me know if they're interested that would be brilliant

Thanks
    ages,gender and ability matter very little

movements are the key and a good trainer should be able to get you both working on the right exercises in each session.

if they start the workout with 5-10mins on the cross trainer or treadmill ask for your money back straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Transform wrote: »
    if they start the workout with 5-10mins on the cross trainer or treadmill ask for your money back straight away

Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

What good is it for you? Warm up for purpose not because you feel warmer after running on a treadmill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What good is it for you? Warm up for purpose not because you feel warmer after running on a treadmill.

Well I'm a novice but warm up on a crosstrainer for 7 mins. I then do my stretches and find I get a much deeper stretch than doing so from cold. So I'm curious to know why I should get rid of a trainer who gets me to warm up.

Well I'm a novice but warm up on a crosstrainer for 7 mins. I then do my stretches and find I get a much deeper stretch than doing so from cold. So I'm curious to know why I should get rid of a trainer who gets me to warm up.

Nobody's saying get rid of a trainer who doesn't warm you up, what were saying is get rid of the trainer who doesn't warm you up for purpose.

Definitely get rid of the trainer who doesn't warm you up at all!

Look up dynamic warm ups, you'll know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Transform wrote: »

If I was trying to help someone lose a considerable amount of weight the first thing I would do is get them on the treadmill/cross trainer. Get them moving, get them burning calories and I would hop on the treadmill/cross trainer beside them and then we would discuss their goals etc and the different ways we would achieve them.

Just my opinion :o

JJayoo wrote: »
    If I was trying to help someone lose a considerable amount of weight the first thing I would do is get them on the treadmill/cross trainer. Get them moving, get them burning calories and I would hop on the treadmill/cross trainer beside them and then we would discuss their goals etc and the different ways we would achieve them.

Just my opinion :o

Strength is a bigger fuel tank to burn calories.

If you have someone reasonably overweight, they're gonna be out of breathe quite fast from just moving more, never mind adding in talking:P

Plus, clients goals are private and although it might look clear that they want to lose weight, as a PT, it goes deeper than just 'Mary wants to lose a few stone'.

Strength is a bigger fuel tank to burn calories.

If you have someone reasonably overweight, they're gonna be out of breathe quite fast from just moving more, never mind adding in talking:P

Plus, clients goals are private and although it might look clear that they want to lose weight, as a PT, it goes deeper than just 'Mary wants to lose a few stone'.

It seems as if you have just put your own goals on the imaginary client I made up, as his/her goal was to "lose a considerable amount of weight" and if you spend your first hour with this imaginary person teaching them how to deadlift/Squat/foam roll you may not see them ever again.

By considerable I meant an awful lot.

It seems as if you have just put your own goals on the imaginary client I made up, as his/her goal was to "lose a considerable amount of weight" and if you spend your first hour with this imaginary person teaching them how to deadlift/Squat/foam roll you may not see them ever again.

By considerable I meant an awful lot.

Throw them on a treadmill sure, they'll lose weight with a good diet. Go 12 weeks down the line and they've lost 'x' amount of weight and they look terrible. People want beach bodies, to look good naked and 99% of people will have the same goal essentially. The other 1% performance based.

The density, defined/sexy look people crave isn't from running on a treadmill. Show people what strength training can do and they'll be back to you saying 'I want to look like her/him'.

Look at Hanleys gym, there's zero cardio equipment in there and the people look awesome. Head over to S&SS and look for Nervous Wrecks transformation. For the most part I suspect, resistance training.

It's all about explaining the benefits of resistance training and how everyday life improves because of it.

Plus, if you want to do cardio, just do HIIT or a metcon. Save them the boredom of running endlessly on a treadmill.

You have completely missed the point. I made up a hypothetical situation in which putting someone on a cardio machine as the first "exercise" they do is a good idea.

As a personal trainer you never have the luxury of
    12 weeks down the line
    you have one hour with a person who may never have stood in a gym before, who might be very restricted in the exercises they can actually preform and who might find a brisk walk a challenge.
    The density, defined/sexy look people crave isn't from running on a treadmill. Show people what strength training can do and they'll be back to you saying 'I want to look like her/him'

Once again you are putting your goals on other peoiple, maybe this person's goal is to lose weight to help her chances of becoming pregnant? maybe he just wants to bring his grand children for a walk.
    Look at Hanleys gym, there's zero cardio equipment in there and the people look awesome

Once again imposing your concept of success on clients.
    Plus, if you want to do cardio, just do HIIT or a metcon. Save them the boredom of running endlessly on a treadmill.

Imagine someone in their 60's coming into you. Never been in a gym before but the doctor has recommended gym work to help maintain bone density and in the first hour you get them to do a metcon?

My original point was that if someone is seriously overweight I would get them walking on a treadmill while I make my introduction and go over the normal mandatory stuff you need to cover when you first meet someone such as diet and outlining goals etc, and I only made this point because transform said that would be a terrible thing to do.

I am all for resistance training/ mobility work and If I was a wizard and could make clients very motivated the second they walk in the door well then I might rethink things but in reality you might have one opportunity to make a person feel comfortable in their new surrounding and in their ability to succeed.

Now if the client I invented was a young man or woman bursting with energy and motivation then I wouldn't have them on the fecking treadmill but you never know who will walk in that door.............. could be a goblin

This is how we spent our Saturday night :(

Plus this is just my novice opinion and I am not a personal trainer so take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Is it really that useless to go on the treadmill? I usually only spend 30 to 40 mins in gym and would usually warm up for 10 on treadmill or cross trainer then do weights for 20-30 mins. My goals are to just maintain some level of fitness and also weights for bone density. I would still be nearly out of breath after doing just 10 mins running! I realise I'm prob not pushing myself but I have to say as a former gymophobe I def feel better even for the half hour I just put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Is it really that useless to go on the treadmill? I usually only spend 30 to 40 mins in gym and would usually warm up for 10 on treadmill or cross trainer then do weights for 20-30 mins. My goals are to just maintain some level of fitness and also weights for bone density. I would still be nearly out of breath after doing just 10 mins running! I realise I'm prob not pushing myself but I have to say as a former gymophobe I def feel better even for the half hour I just put in.

But you haven't warmed up for purpose. The object of a warm up is not just to get the heart pumping and get out of breath it is to get the muscles you are working that day moving at their full range to minimise injury potential.

A 5 minute walk on the treadmill doesn't get any muscle moving at full range. And transforms point is that you are not primed for the workout. This is just a poor generic warmup that does nothing to prevent injury.

It has nothing to do with losing weight or long term goals it is about getting ready for that day.

While a 5 min jog gets you out of breath it doesn't prime your joints and tendons or work on any temporary glitches that 5 minutes of dynamic stretching and "foam rolling" would do.

The best way to warm up your muscles before weights is to take your joints through their full range of motion trying to increase it and massage the muscle to find and destroy and knots and weak points before working the muscle through the motion you intend to load it.
    Dynamic stretch movement . Roll the muscle. Then do a light version of your lift.

Even if your exercise is running on a treadmill you should still warm up your legs through their full range of motion before getting on the treadmill. If only to prepare you tendons and ensure a long and balanced stride.

If i went to a trainer who warmed me up for 5 mins just by using a treadmill and did nothing for range of motion and joint movement and muscle suppleness then I'd go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

But you haven't warmed up for purpose. The object of a warm up is not just to get the heart pumping and get out of breath it is to get the muscles you are working that day moving at their full range to minimise injury potential.

A 5 minute walk on the treadmill doesn't get any muscle moving at full range. And transforms point is that you are not primed for the workout. This is just a poor generic warmup that does nothing to prevent injury.

It has nothing to do with losing weight or long term goals it is about getting ready for that day.

While a 5 min jog gets you out of breath it doesn't prime your joints and tendons or work on any temporary glitches that 5 minutes of dynamic stretching and "foam rolling" would do.

The best way to warm up your muscles before weights is to take your joints through their full range of motion trying to increase it and massage the muscle to find and destroy and knots and weak points before working the muscle through the motion you intend to load it.
    Dynamic stretch movement . Roll the muscle. Then do a light version of your lift.

Even if your exercise is running on a treadmill you should still warm up your legs through their full range of motion before getting on the treadmill. If only to prepare you tendons and ensure a long and balanced stride.

If i went to a trainer who warmed me up for 5 mins just by using a treadmill and did nothing for range of motion and joint movement and muscle suppleness then I'd go elsewhere.

Thanks thegreatiam, I never realised. I'm gonna look into dynamic warm ups. The 10 mins running is really the only cardio I do (as well as a lot of walking outside the gym) but I'm really not a cardio fan so saw this 'warm up' as killing two birds..defeats the purpose of a warm up though I know. Tbh I prob should just get a PT to get a proper structure to the 30 odd mins of my gym sessions to ensure I get the most out of that time! Cheers!

You have completely missed the point. I made up a hypothetical situation in which putting someone on a cardio machine as the first "exercise" they do is a good idea.

As a personal trainer you never have the luxury of you have one hour with a person who may never have stood in a gym before, who might be very restricted in the exercises they can actually preform and who might find a brisk walk a challenge.

Once again you are putting your goals on other peoiple, maybe this person's goal is to lose weight to help her chances of becoming pregnant? maybe he just wants to bring his grand children for a walk.

Once again imposing your concept of success on clients.

Imagine someone in their 60's coming into you. Never been in a gym before but the doctor has recommended gym work to help maintain bone density and in the first hour you get them to do a metcon?

My original point was that if someone is seriously overweight I would get them walking on a treadmill while I make my introduction and go over the normal mandatory stuff you need to cover when you first meet someone such as diet and outlining goals etc, and I only made this point because transform said that would be a terrible thing to do.

I am all for resistance training/ mobility work and If I was a wizard and could make clients very motivated the second they walk in the door well then I might rethink things but in reality you might have one opportunity to make a person feel comfortable in their new surrounding and in their ability to succeed.

Now if the client I invented was a young man or woman bursting with energy and motivation then I wouldn't have them on the fecking treadmill but you never know who will walk in that door.............. could be a goblin

This is how we spent our Saturday night :(

Plus this is just my novice opinion and I am not a personal trainer so take it with a pinch of salt.

But putting them on a cardio machine first isn't a good idea. It's a bad idea. You have them on a treadmill running where they're already overweight and stomping x3 times their BW while you 'consult' them about there goals. They might not be able for that at all.

As a PT, generally you do have the luxury of in 12 weeks. IMO sticking them on a machine in public while you discuss things such as lifestyle, goals, injuries etc... is more likely not to see them back rather than sitting them down privately and going through the above and more. People lack self confidence and for the most part, will struggle to come to terms with the root of their obesity/weight gain.

They'll be screened to see where along the chain can you start them.

Regardless of the goal, the procedure is mostly the same. Resistance training, some form or cardio, diet. The first and latter being the most important IMO.

Re the person in their 60's running them ragged on the treadmill isn't going to help bone density, resistance training will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I can see where JJayoo is coming from though in the context of your first 5-10 mins with a client. He's not talking about having them run ragged on a machine but doing a little bit of cardio while they discuss goals, plan etc. It's not the worst thing in the world. It's not the way you'd warm a client up everytime but the first few minutes in the door, they might feel like they've made a start, they've got themselves moving. After that, you'd warm them up for purpose but I don't see how it's such a bad thing on day 1 to get them moving to some degree while you can go through a few basics about what they want. Is it optimal? Probably not? Is it terrible? No. Just my two cents...

But putting them on a cardio machine first isn't a good idea. It's a bad idea. You have them on a treadmill running where they're already overweight and stomping x3 times their BW while you 'consult' them about there goals. They might not be able for that at all.

If you disagree with me then that is 100% fine but please don't alter what I say in order to do it. I never mentioned running or stomping, I actually said someone
    who might find a brisk walk a challenge.
    As a PT, generally you do have the luxury of in 12 weeks
    So the majority of people a trainer meets will sign up for 12 weeks? if so then great but in the situation I described you have one hour with the person.
    Re the person in their 60's running them ragged on the treadmill isn't going to help bone density, resistance training will.

Once again I didn't say this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

working with a client thats now 7 stone down in a little over a year

shes 58yrs young

amount of time spent on a treadmill or cross trainer in the first 10mins of ANY of our sessions = zero.

Foam rolling, mobility drills, prehab movements etc ftw in the first 10mins

the difference between age, gender, ability etc varies by progression or regression of movements NOT the basic movements themselves.

with Any of the (hate to use this word) older clients i have a good 20mins in a one hour session (sometimes more) is spent working on mobility as it will make the biggest difference to their day to day life.

Overall the biggest issue i have with most trainers is not knowing how to progress and regress movements with clients and can end up trying to train them how the train themselves which can be ok but its not a situation i would put my mother in.

My main question if i was recommending a trainer - would i allow this person to train my mum?

If i know they can handle someone thats broken, doesnt listen too well and has the patience to deal with someone that can be uncompliant then they might be a good pick.

Just my way of assessing so decide for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

Am also looking for a personal trainer in D15, currently I run a few days a week but am only getting back into it after illness. Would like to do a couple of sessions a week with someone who can put me on the right track and improve my fitness. Any suggestions would be great.

Advertisement