Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ankles

Options
  • 01-05-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure this is in the right place, so apologies if it isn't but here goes...

I did a lot (and I do mean a lot) of competitive swimming in my younger days. There was a lot of flexibility work and it was a long time ago, so training techniques were pretty undeveloped compared to these days! Anyway, I developed very unstable ankles. I saw a sports physio years ago who said that they are completely knackered (basically the ligament on the outside is ineffective to the point where she thought in both ankles it might be completely detached). She felt they would need surgery and that anything else would be a waste of time.

That was at a time in life when I wasn't prepared to countenance being off my feet for a long time recovering (at first because I was travelling, later because of having a young family etc.) so I just got on with things and for years, I've just been accomodating my hopeless ankles.

Time came and went and I'm mid-forties now. I have to be very careful walking or I'll turn over on my ankle and I'd say I fall about once every few weeks (maybe I'll be chatting to someone or whatever and my concentration will lapse, it only takes a tiny pebble or indentation on the path and I'm a goner). I used to get sore and swollen ankles after a tumble but now I just fall straight over, no real pain (apart from whatever bit I land on :)) and my ankles just seem to 'give' altogether rather than being actually injured, if that makes sense.

Anyway, it has finally dawned on me that this is no way to go on, apart from anything else I'm going to be old some day (soon!) and if I keep falling over I'm sure to break a hip at some stage, or worse.

So, I'm hoping to get this seen to for once and for all. I have a GP appointment in the morning and I'm going to ask for a referral.

I have two questions - firstly, who do I ask to be referred to? A physio or a surgeon?

Secondly, does anyone know if this kind of thing will be covered by my health insurance (have bog standard, plan B type cover and have had for donkey's years).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Don't waste time with a gp. Go straight to a physio and pay the money. You'll be better off long run.

Phone your insurance and ask if they cover the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Thanks thegreatiam - but I saw the GP this morning. He agreed with the physio of long ago, said physio a complete waste of time for what I have, need an orthopaedic surgeon apparently. Referral letter in the post, so we'll see what happens with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Your health insurance will probably cover you for private treatment in a public hospital, so hopefully, you won't be too long waiting. You're GP seems to be on the ball too, no point wasting time with another Physio, straight to ortho with you. The only benefit to Physio, is that maybe, there would be some kind of a support that they could recommend that would help you in the very short term to prevent you going over on your ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

If you have the referral then carry on. My point was that you don't need to see a gp to go to a physio. You can contact most directly. Not that a gp in itself was a waste of time. Just an unnecessary step.

If you have the referral then carry on. My point was that you don't need to see a gp to go to a physio. You can contact most directly. Not that a gp in itself was a waste of time. Just an unnecessary step.

Physios can't refer to ortho though, so she'd end up doing both anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Glinda wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not sure this is in the right place, so apologies if it isn't but here goes...

I did a lot (and I do mean a lot) of competitive swimming in my younger days. There was a lot of flexibility work and it was a long time ago, so training techniques were pretty undeveloped compared to these days! Anyway, I developed very unstable ankles. I saw a sports physio years ago who said that they are completely knackered (basically the ligament on the outside is ineffective to the point where she thought in both ankles it might be completely detached). She felt they would need surgery and that anything else would be a waste of time.

That was at a time in life when I wasn't prepared to countenance being off my feet for a long time recovering (at first because I was travelling, later because of having a young family etc.) so I just got on with things and for years, I've just been accomodating my hopeless ankles.

Time came and went and I'm mid-forties now. I have to be very careful walking or I'll turn over on my ankle and I'd say I fall about once every few weeks (maybe I'll be chatting to someone or whatever and my concentration will lapse, it only takes a tiny pebble or indentation on the path and I'm a goner). I used to get sore and swollen ankles after a tumble but now I just fall straight over, no real pain (apart from whatever bit I land on :)) and my ankles just seem to 'give' altogether rather than being actually injured, if that makes sense.

Anyway, it has finally dawned on me that this is no way to go on, apart from anything else I'm going to be old some day (soon!) and if I keep falling over I'm sure to break a hip at some stage, or worse.

So, I'm hoping to get this seen to for once and for all. I have a GP appointment in the morning and I'm going to ask for a referral.

I have two questions - firstly, who do I ask to be referred to? A physio or a surgeon?

Secondly, does anyone know if this kind of thing will be covered by my health insurance (have bog standard, plan B type cover and have had for donkey's years).

Thanks in advance.
    You'll probably need an MRI to tell definitely if your ligament is gone.
    Referring to a orthopedic is the way to go. For most health insurers you can get online which consultants are covered. You can do this with laya.
    Best of luck.
    I'm in the same boat. Did a complete tear of my ATFL ligament in my left ankle. Waiting for orthopedic consultant. Probably looking at surgery (at least thats what the physio recommend).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Unfortunately it's ligaments (plural) here - years and years of damage. No sign of letter from consultant yet. Hopefully it will be fairly quick as I'm insured!

Glinda wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's ligaments (plural) here - years and years of damage. No sign of letter from consultant yet. Hopefully it will be fairly quick as I'm insured!

Ring his secretary. Make sure she knows you are keen. And also let her know if you could take a cancellation at short notice

Advertisement