Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to supplements

Options
  • 07-05-2014 1:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭

I'm a complete newbie to supplements and the like. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what the benefits (and indeed difference) are between whey, protein powder, etc. Do they even make a difference realistically and why should I use them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You should use them to supplement your diet, if you can get enough from real food then that is best. The only supplements you'd really need tend to be whey protein as it is a very cheap form of high quality protein and creatine if you are lifting as getting enough from food is expensive.

If you post your goals you'll get more specific advice, your OP is really general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

If you're a newbie to lifting weights, you're going to make gains. You might not notice yourself, bur after 4/5 months people will start saying it to you.
    As the above poster mentioned, Protein supplements are there to increase your protein intake. Don't substitute lunch/dinner with protein shakes.
    You don't need to take them straight away, as i mentioned you'll make gains if you have a fairly good gym routine. 2/3/4 times a week for an hour each.

After that i'd recommend anything from Gaspari/Optimum Nutrition. Don't touch all that stuff in the shop that is 50% off/ buy 1 tub get 2 free. There's a reason they're trying to get rid of it!

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Yea I am a newbie to lifting weights. I'm already reasonably thin and I cycle a bit, but I've never had muscle. What kind of intake would or someone in my position take? I don't intend to supplemnent meals with shakes etc- I already eat well, I guess I'm just curious about trying some.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    After that i'd recommend anything from Gaspari/Optimum Nutrition.

Especially if you don't like money.

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    After that i'd recommend anything from Gaspari/Optimum Nutrition. Don't touch all that stuff in the shop that is 50% off/ buy 1 tub get 2 free. There's a reason they're trying to get rid of it!

Good luck.

ON is good quality but expensive, myprotein is the same quality and significantly less expensive. Gaspari has half the protein content it claims to have according to some dude on reddit. If its on reddit it must be true though.

• Advertisement

ruskin wrote: »
    Yea I am a newbie to lifting weights. I'm already reasonably thin and I cycle a bit, but I've never had muscle. What kind of intake would or someone in my position take? I don't intend to supplemnent meals with shakes etc- I already eat well, I guess I'm just curious about trying some.

Protein-wise you'd be looking at 1.5-2grams per kg of body weight. With regards to calories google scooby TDEE and it'll tell you how much you need to eat overall.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

ruskin wrote: »

"Trying some" will make no difference.. Define eating well, your not eating well if your not eating enough calories, or the macro nutrients of your diet don't support your training. I can almost guarantee you are not eating well, I know I wasnt when I started training

How much do you weigh? You should be eating your bodyweight in kg x 2.2 grams of protein every day.

i.e. if you weigh 75kg you should be eating atleast 165g of protein each and every day.

Sort your nutrition out, if there is a 25g protein defecit in your diet have a protein shake, if there is a 50g deficit have another shake or more meat. simple as that

2.2 seems high for a beginner, I've seen 2.4 recommended for professional athletes alright but normally the recommendation is like 1 gram per pound of lean body mass or 2 grams a kg. For most people even 1.2-1.5 grams would be a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

2.2 seems high for a beginner, I've seen 2.4 recommended for professional athletes alright but normally the recommendation is like 1 gram per pound of lean body mass or 2 grams a kg. For most people even 1.2-1.5 grams would be a huge improvement.

It's not like there's a novice program for getting protein in. Can just ramp up the intake. Protein that's not used for muscle repair etc. will just be used for energy anyway.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    It's not like there's a novice program for getting protein in. Can just ramp up the intake. Protein that's not used for muscle repair etc. will just be used for energy anyway.

Novices would have lower protein maintenance requirements. Most of the excess will be excreted, which is a waste.

There was a lot of talk a while back in here about recommended protein levels and the high requirement touted by supplement companies and vested interests came under flack. I wouldn't manage 2.2 grams per kg myself, i just about get 2 per kg in on training days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Novices would have lower protein maintenance requirements. Most of the excess will be excreted, which is a waste.

There was a lot of talk a while back in here about recommended protein levels and the high requirement touted by supplement companies and vested interests came under flack. I wouldn't manage 2.2 grams per kg myself, i just about get 2 per kg in on training days.

On a bulk you would it's fun times eating way over in protein. Anyway besides the point I guess.

Yes 2.2g/kg is slightly too much. I think the actual maximum amount to utilise is 0.85ishg/lb but this just confuses people new to it al even more.

Why only hitting 2g/kg on training days? What about rest days? Honestly I'm on a cut at the amount and only getting about 2g/kg as well but for simplicity and because it's better to overshoot than under saying 2.2g/g is easer.

I wouldn't say it's wasted either. Sure the aminos are dumped as waste but there is still the energy value of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

excess protein will be converted to fat

On a bulk you would it's fun times eating way over in protein. Anyway besides the point I guess.

Yes 2.2g/kg is slightly too much. I think the actual maximum amount to utilise is 0.85ishg/lb but this just confuses people new to it al even more.

Why only hitting 2g/kg on training days? What about rest days? Honestly I'm on a cut at the amount and only getting about 2g/kg as well but for simplicity and because it's better to overshoot than under saying 2.2g/g is easer.

I wouldn't say it's wasted either. Sure the aminos are dumped as waste but there is still the energy value of them.

I'd take in 1.5grams per kg on rest days, 2 on training days. There have seen several studies that show the maximal amount is well below 1g per lb, there was a study a couple years ago that pegged it at .82 in a worst case scenario and another that showed that experienced lifters needed less - like .75. I think the high recommendations just comes from supplement companies pushing product tbh.

Excess protein is either excreted and if that is not possible it is converted to fat.

edit: lots of references in this - http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

agree with above post. I just eat a lot of food throughout the day and was surprised to see using an app that my protein ranged from 120 to 150 a day. Would never again take supplements

Advertisement