Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

New Asian street food place opening up near the end of Barrack street next month. Not sure exactly where but it's possibly the old Yangtze river place. I'm not joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Annies in Sunday's Well has changed ownership and all but one member of staff. Will be interesting to see what changes that brings to the menu, quality & price, if they are indeed going to served food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

northgirl wrote: »
    Annies in Sunday's Well has changed ownership and all but one member of staff. Will be interesting to see what changes that brings to the menu, quality & price, if they are indeed going to served food.

And their website looks well hacked at the moment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh no I was gonna book a work lunch there next month but not sure now - will it be really different I wonder....

I may pop in for a beverage and will let you know if I can find anything out!

I may pop in for a beverage and will let you know if I can find anything out!

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Passed today - sign in the window saying something like bar open from 4pm and "kitchen - watch this space".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Anyone been to Iberian WAY?

I am desperately craving really good Spanish food and it sucks that Cork has no decent options. Just googling and I spotted Iberian WAY but hard to tell from site and tripadvisor if it is really casual place or it I could make a night out of it with my wife for dinner.

Anyone been? The reviews are quite good and seems to quite authentic Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

White Horse in Ballincollig is top notch!

Got their chargrilled chicken breast stuffed with black pudding and Supreme Mushroom sauce and excellent mash!

Only complaint is it took about a half hour to get the food, which is a bit much at lunch time I'll put that down to cooking the chicken fresh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Anyone been to Iberian WAY?

I am desperately craving really good Spanish food and it sucks that Cork has no decent options. Just googling and I spotted Iberian WAY but hard to tell from site and tripadvisor if it is really casual place or it I could make a night out of it with my wife for dinner.

Anyone been? The reviews are quite good and seems to quite authentic Spanish.

I thought that was just a deli! Do they serve food too?

I haven't been myself, but I know a friend of mine was getting language lessons from a Spanish girl who was raving about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Oysters have taken Annie's over and have closed their Clarion hotel location. I think it's not going to be 'Oysters' though. A totally different menu with far less emphasis on seafood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭sporina

blow69 wrote: »
    Oysters have taken Annie's over and have closed their Clarion hotel location. I think it's not going to be 'Oysters' though. A totally different menu with far less emphasis on seafood.

well i hope its cheaper than Oysters…

Loved annies - hope they do not change it for the worse..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Really?? That's a real shame if they're closing Oysters.

Faith wrote: »
    Really?? That's a real shame if they're closing Oysters.

really? it was way too €€€€€

sporina wrote: »
    well i hope its cheaper than Oysters…

Loved annies - hope they do not change it for the worse..

I hope they improve their food, hygiene and make their prices more realistic. Considering many of the deals available in many Cork restaurants they were vastly overpriced.

I hope they improve their food, hygiene and make their prices more realistic. Considering many of the deals available in many Cork restaurants they were vastly overpriced.

from my experience in Annies, better food and price that their competition in the city eg - jacobs etc...

really? it was way too €€€€€
    from my experience in Annies, better food and price that their competition in the city eg - jacobs etc...

Prices in both Oysters and Annies were on a similar level. E8 - 10 for starters, E18 to 24 for mains, generally speaking.

For seafood, I felt Oysters was fairly priced. It certainly wasn't an every day restaurant, but it never marketed itself as one.

Prices in both Oysters and Annies were on a similar level. E8 - 10 for starters, E18 to 24 for mains, generally speaking.

For seafood, I felt Oysters was fairly priced. It certainly wasn't an every day restaurant, but it never marketed itself as one.

im mostly talking about seafood - as thats what i eat when i go out for dinner

seafood specials in annies were €20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What's gone into the clarion instead?

• Advertisement

I'd have to disagree with that, I had a very poor "Charcuterie" starter priced at around the 11 Euro mark in Annies a few months ago which comprised of a few pieces of ham and a couple of pieces of toasted bread.

Conversely, I ate in Jacobs recently and had a beautiful main and dessert for 25, 3 courses are available for 29. Annies don't offer anything similar.

Id feel sorry for the staff of the oyster if they had to go up to Annies unless the place is gutted. Kitchen facilities/Toilets etc are from 50 years ago.
    I suppose though you dont have to worry about floods :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I'd have to disagree with that, I had a very poor "Charcuterie" starter priced at around the 11 Euro mark in Annies a few months ago which comprised of a few pieces of ham and a couple of pieces of toasted bread.

Conversely, I ate in Jacobs recently and had a beautiful main and dessert for 25, 3 courses are available for 29. Annies don't offer anything similar.
    I hope Jacobs is on the up again. Used to eat there a couple of times a year, then it started to go down in all respects, starting with front of house and continuing down with the food. it's been about 4-5 years since we ate there, might give a try some night.

roundymac wrote: »
    I hope Jacobs is on the up again. Used to eat there a couple of times a year, then it started to go down in all respects, starting with front of house and continuing down with the food. it's been about 4-5 years since we ate there, might give a try some night.

I have eaten there 3 -4 times over the last year and had good food and good service for all of them. I would definitely have put the Jacobs food and experience far above Annies recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I know this isn't a restaurant but the cupcakes from Cupcake Cottage on Anglesea Street are amazing. I had the tirasmu today and it was gorgeous. The lemon cheesecake is also amazing. They're nice as a treat every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Anyone try Twenty Café there on angelsea street - food looks pretty impressive ?!!

• Advertisement

it seems that the restaurants we are talking about ie annies and jacobs, are not consistent - that and we have different experiences and have different standards…

not good foundations for an argument…

as annies was the topic here - it will be interesting to see what happens..

leahyl wrote: »
    Cheers!

Called in this evening for a nose :pac:

They are not yet serving food as the whole kitchen is being replaced and it's taking longer than anticipated. They hope to be up and running some time next week.

There have been some minor alterations to the décor and the blackboard menu has been removed to be replaced by menus when seated so I was told.

I'm looking forward to a hopefully improved dining experience soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I know this isn't a restaurant but the cupcakes from Cupcake Cottage on Anglesea Street are amazing. I had the tirasmu today and it was gorgeous. The lemon cheesecake is also amazing. They're nice as a treat every now and then.
    Yeah , sure . Every now and then ,:-) the red velvet is gorgeous -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

They are not yet serving food as the whole kitchen is being replaced and it's taking longer than anticipated. They hope to be up and running some time next week.

There have been some minor alterations to the décor and the blackboard menu has been removed to be replaced by menus when seated so I was told.

Excellent! Thanks northgirl - I wonder will they take bookings for lunch for the 12th February... I'll give them a ring next week and see sure. Thanks a million again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Went to Elbow Lane last night.
    I really, really enjoyed the whole experience. There's a really nice buzzy buzz about the place, the staff all seem passionate about the food and the food is really, really good. It's simple food, simply cooked with some nice little twists.
    It's not a cheap eat. It's a very enjoyable eat.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Excellent! Thanks northgirl - I wonder will they take bookings for lunch for the 12th February... I'll give them a ring next week and see sure. Thanks a million again!

No worries! You could give them a call today I'd say, I would say that date would be ok from what I heard last night :) They have a sample menu too so they might be able to mail it to you in advance - hope it works out!

Got to Palmento in Douglas. Thumbs up.

Great pizzas and beer. They don't do anything else. I kinda expected it to be like a domino's plasticy layout, but it's very nice with tiles on walls, solid wood furnishings, huge copper lamps over the counter. Very nice atmosphere.

I'd recommend two pizzas... the salami with garlic and aubergine, and the blue cheese with plums. Had another few between the gang of us, all were nice, but those were my favourites. Very tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

That blackboard menu lark was really annoying.

Thats great news about the kitchen getting vamped up
    Cant wait to hear back once its open

Toppy

evilivor wrote: »
    That blackboard menu lark was really annoying.

I used to take a picture of the menu with my phone, then peruse it at the table :)

Malari wrote: »
    I used to take a picture of the menu with my phone, then peruse it at the table :)

never thought of doing that :rolleyes:

I agree, the blackboard thing was very annoying, good that they have proper menus now.

never thought of doing that :rolleyes:

What had happened before, is that I'd stand at the blackboard, make my choices and sit down again. Then they'd take a drink order, then come to take the food order...and by then I'd have forgotten what the dish was called :pac:

Whereabouts is this palmento place in Douglas? I'm lost walking around looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

nomeban wrote: »
    Whereabouts is this palmento place in Douglas? I'm lost walking around looking for it.

Probably a bit late but you need to walk down the road between Barry's and O'Driscolls a small bit and its on your right (on the same side of the road as O'Driscolls). Its a bit set back from the footpath so you could nearly walk past it.

336195.jpg

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote: »
    Probably a bit late but you need to walk down the road between Barry's and O'Driscolls a small bit and its on your right (on the same side of the road as O'Driscolls). Its a bit set back from the footpath so you could nearly walk past it.

336195.jpg

there is no website and feck all info on facebook

Managed to find it in the end. Got the plum pizza as recommended here. Twas alright .. Could do with more plum and blue cheese. Unfortunately palmeto subscribe to the universal pizzeria policy of giving stingy topping amounts.

It's pretty small in there too, so you probably won't get a seat at peak times. So if you're going for a pizza with somebody, your contingency plan should be to get the pizza to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

there is no website and feck all info on facebook

I think they must have just updated facebook as I see they now have a map, address, phone number, opening hours, and a menu - I pretty sure that wasn't there last night but I might have just missed it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Palmento/972234329458076

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nomeban wrote: »
    Managed to find it in the end. Got the plum pizza as recommended here. Twas alright .. Could do with more plum and blue cheese. Unfortunately palmeto subscribe to the universal pizzeria policy of giving stingy topping amounts.

It's because of the likes of you, it is almost impossible to buy a pizza in Ireland that isn't totally overloaded to suit the Irish taste for "more is more" with regard to toppings on a pizza. ;)

Overloaded pizzas are awful. Topping should really be there for taste and texture, not substance.

Eek, yeah I should have said. I prefer my pizzas on the light side of toppings. That's what they do alright.

It's because of the likes of you, it is almost impossible to buy a pizza in Ireland that isn't totally overloaded to suit the Irish taste for "more is more" with regard to toppings on a pizza. ;)

Overloaded pizzas are awful. Topping should really be there for taste and texture, not substance.

i got a pizza once from la tana and it would have been fab had it not been over loaded with toppings..

i do not really know what the pizza was like - because it was so difficult to eat…

hence i love Novecento..

I would love to try la tana again but i would like to think that it would not be the same..

do La tana usually make their pizza like this?

Any pizza I've had from La Tana has been a disaster with the overloading of toppings. The base isn't strong enough to support it, so it flops all over the place and the toppings start cascading off. It's a very messy experience.

Less is definitely more for toppings with proper pizza.

Any pizza I've had from La Tana has been a disaster with the overloading of toppings. The base isn't strong enough to support it, so it flops all over the place and the toppings start cascading off. It's a very messy experience.

Less is definitely more for toppings with proper pizza.

thats mad - i mean i do not like stingy toppings - but there is a balance - just enough - on a good base - so you can hold the slice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Went to On the Pigs Back in Douglas on Sat for lunch. Think it's a really nice place. Staff are lovely and their beef & mushroom pie is very good. Parking outside the door helps too for anyone who is not able to walk very far (older people, for example).

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Agree re La Tana. Very tasty, but the pizza I got the other night i was barely able to pick it up it was so soggy from far too much topping.

New wings place on Washington St. I Look forward to giving it a blast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement