Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

deelite wrote:
    Two callers on yesterday (about 9 mins in total) both say charges increasing for them. Philip Boucher Hayes on today and on the preview he's asking if anybody out there is in the 87 percent bracket who will save money with the new charges as he's only getting calls from the 13 percent who say the bins will cost significantly more. He also said Enda is currently in the Dail saying that the new charges will save money - and insisting that the rate is 11 c per kilo .....

fxotoole wrote:
    Yes. I'm with Thornton's in Kildare and will save (don't have figures to hand though)

Is there anyone who has read this thread, done the maths on their weights to see are they paying less whether they stay on or move?

I can't see anyone benefitting. How can anyone with Thorntons in Kildare benefit. Service charge doubled and per lift increases from 9.90 to 14 euro for 40KG bin ( 44% increase).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

EoC wrote: »
    I can't see anyone benefitting. How can anyone with Thorntons in Kildare benefit. Service charge doubled and per lift increases from 9.90 to 14 euro for 40KG bin ( 44% increase).

I agree, the service charge has doubled and, at the moment, it's 25 cent per kilo for one 40kg lift which will raise by 10 cent to 35 cent per kilo after July 1st.

Unless someone is going to do something drastic on July 1st and completely change their waste management (ie start recycling if they never recycled before) then there's no way anyone's going to save money with this new charging structure! Anyone who claims they will I'd like them to put their calculations up here and show how. Calculations of before July 1st and calculations after July 1st to show the savings comparison.

Also, the "free" green bin victory touted by many wasn't much of a victory. Waste companies stated at the time that the cost per kilo waste bins would be approx 12 cent or so cheaper at 23 cent or thereabouts if green bin fees came in. Since they didn't get away with charging for the green bin now they just lumped the cost onto the waste bins.

I'm still very surprised that there's still not much talk of the new charges by the general public!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

van_beano wrote: »
    I'm still very surprised that there's still not much talk of the new charges by the general public!

I've spoken to a lot of people (as part of my job) about waste charges and in my experience most people don't even realise it's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

With Thorntons-

last month I had 2 Black bin lifts (16.5kg & 14kg) and two Brown bin lifts (20kg & 16.5kg) = €34 slightly rounded up,including €1 euro a week service charge.

New charges that would be-

Black bin=€10.68
    Brown bin=€7.30
    Service Charge-€2 x 4 =€8

Total under new charges = €25.98

Saving of = €8 approx

wiz569 wrote: »
    With Thorntons-

last month I had 2 Black bin lifts (16.5kg & 14kg) and two Brown bin lifts (20kg & 16.5kg) = €34 slightly rounded up,including €1 euro a week service charge.

New charges that would be-

Black bin=€10.68
    Brown bin=€7.30
    Service Charge-€2 x 4 =€8

Total under new charges = €25.98

Saving of = €8 approx

I stand corrected :)

Seriously though, how do you have so little waste? Dine out a lot, no kids, live alone, work away from home and stay in hotels most of the week? You would have been better doing one lift when it was full, you would have saved a packet!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

I think this one will be a slow burner, most people under flat fees aren't aware of their Kg usage at the moment. I'm only aware of mine because of the way I get my bill each month, and I regularly go over my Fair Usage Limit because of the kids nappies. Might take until end July before we see real opposition to this unless the press/media get all over it.

One thing I know, the nappies are going in the public bin down the road from here on in.

Seriously though, how do you have so little waste? Dine out a lot, no kids, live alone, work away from home and stay in hotels most of the week? You would have been better doing one lift when it was full, you would have saved a packet!

Theres 4 adults here believe it or not :)

We recycle a lot (well I do it all tbh) as green bin is free,would not leave brown bin go longer then 2 weeks as it stinks and the chandlers start multiplying lol,

As for the general waste bin I put 5/6 bin bags a week in it so its full in quantity every 2 weeks also, if you follow me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thats 30kg domestic waste in a month! I wouldn't consider that low at all.

WealthyB wrote: »
    One thing I know, the nappies are going in the public bin down the road from here on in.

Absolutely, make sure you vary the bins you use or you'll be spotted!

• Advertisement

It's very low if you've got nappies to put in it!

It's very low if you've got nappies to put in it!

Absolutely, if there's nappies involved it's very good. Fair play! I really feel for families with young children under this new system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's very low for a month. Most people would have about 20kg minimum every time the bin is emptied. Any runs I do the bins rarely average less than 30kg.

guil wrote: »
    That's very low for a month. Most people would have about 20kg minimum every time the bin is emptied. Any runs I do the bins rarely average less than 30kg.

Really?

My bin is always full every forthnight,although I could have stood on it and got more in I suppose,maybe I was just too used to putting out bins regularly lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yep a lot of bins are usually around 40-50kg. That's more the norm but there is certainly 140L bins that would be way under 30kg. At the same time though there is 140L bins that always have a couple of bags beside them as well though.

Ok. We are a household of 4 adults and had 160kg of black bin waste during the last 12 months.

It seems those who are already recycling and composting properly will lose out under the new charges.

• Advertisement

Yep a lot of bins are usually around 40-50kg. That's more the norm but there is certainly 140L bins that would be way under 30kg. At the same time though there is 140L bins that always have a couple of bags beside them as well though.

I must have extra lightweight rubbish as my bin is the 240L one and still only very occassionally goes over 20kg a lift when full lol

It seems those who are already recycling and composting properly will lose out under the new charges.

Except I already recycle and use compost bin and I will still save,its a strange one alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I've spoken to a lot of people (as part of my job) about waste charges and in my experience most people don't even realise it's happening.

I agree, I think a lot of people are unaware of the changes.
    Our annual charge is more than doubling, with Citybin. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I heard back from the C/S Manager in Greyhound.
    They have no policy in place to retain customers !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I heard back from the C/S Manager in Greyhound.
    They have no policy in place to retain customers !!

I've found that they hound you with calls around the same time every year until you tell them to go away :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ive just switched to CB from GH.
    Paid up front for the year to save a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I'll most likely move to thorntons as they have less service charge. No problem with pay by weight. Just with crazy service charge increases.
    Attachment not found.

approx 100 euro increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

The Waste charges also feature on Drivetime today (Joan Collins TD) and The Last Word (Roisin Shortall).

Joan brought up the issue of the weight charges in her area from the waste companies all being very similar and that she was going to contact the Competition Authority.
    Shortall has had a lot of constituents on to her and cannot see how charges will fall for even a small % of people given the standing charges alone.

So some momentum is starting to build up. Scruffy needs to give this more time and have more than 2 or 3 callers on.
    Everyone needs to hammer their local TD's/Senators

edit - 'Bin charges to soar' is the main headline on The Examiner tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

jay0109 wrote: »

about time. some proper coverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

The article is also online here
    Amid the growing political controversy, Housing Minister Simon Coveney last night said he will “not tolerate any abuse” by companies who seek to exploit the new system.

The problem I see how will they consider abuse? Operator will just say they needed to invest in upgrading trucks, system, etc so the Minister will just have to agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭spannerism

When switching providers, be careful of a 'new customer' registration fee.
    Thorntons is €50 and Advanced Waste is €40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Just an email from city bin. It's gone from 180 per year to:
    RTKs6uL.png

We've a 6 month old with nappies so for us both grey and brown bin are around 40kg per month so it's gone from 180 a year (15 per month) to 320 a year (27 a month): a 177% increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

spannerism wrote: »
    When switching providers, be careful of a 'new customer' registration fee.
    Thorntons is €50 and Advanced Waste is €40.

In my case in 1 year I would save some money just with the service charge, also per KG will be a few cent cheaper with Thorntons

Greyhound Service will 52*€3.25=€169 looks like €140 if you pay a full year in advance.
    Thorntons Service will 52*€2=€104

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

GoodBridge wrote: »
    Just an email from city bin. It's gone from 180 per year to:
    RTKs6uL.png

We've a 6 month old with nappies so for us both grey and brown bin are around 40kg per month so it's gone from 180 a year (15 per month) to 320 a year (27 a month): a 177% increase.

Put the nappies in the bin down the road, that's what I'll be doing.

These new "charges" can be easily fought against - when DCC are looking at overflowing bins up and down every estate and public road you'll see this being revisited; nothing like the sight of overflowing refuse to focus the minds of legislators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

remember when pay by weight "had" to come in back in the mid 2000s. Cork Co Co brought it in but every other operator continued the no weight and what happened? It became all fixed yearly payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Average nappy = 260 grams (can look it up)
    Average annual nappy use first year = 2800 nappies (can look it up, its a good enough guess)
    Average black bin lift under new system = 35cents

= 225 euro per baby annual cost.

If you or anyone you know is having a baby, tell them to factor that into their first year costs. Thats what the government is doing to families with babys. Its a direct loading. Some will be able to absorb that cost. Many wont. Therell be a black bin, green bin, brown bin and a nappy bag bin. Can see people out driving middle of night dumping side of road.

If any of you have adults in house with medical issues that require adult nappys, same applies.

Bit of chat about it today by the TD's

http://jrnl.ie/2825101

The start of something hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

WealthyB wrote: »
    Put the nappies in the bin down the road, that's what I'll be doing.

These new "charges" can be easily fought against - when DCC are looking at overflowing bins up and down every estate and public road you'll see this being revisited; nothing like the sight of overflowing refuse to focus the minds of legislators.
    They will just take the bins off the streets.
    Bit of chat about it today by the TD's

http://jrnl.ie/2825101

The start of something hopefully!

Yet again we see no proper accountability or action from our government, The minister for justice who should have resigned recently is commenting on another useless ministers portfolio rather than taking care of her own house and Coveney is putting the whole thing on the long finger hoping it will go away, he is meeting with companies next Wednesday! Nothing stopping them meeting today or tomorrow!

He could also put the implementation on hold until there is some way to stop these cartel companies from fleecing their "indentured" customers.

greyhound seem to be one of the most expensive now which I found surprising due to their customer base and lower costs in urban areas but they know that there are few alternatives and people will stick with them as smaller companies like Citybin will not be able to cope with the influx of customers.

The new charges featured on Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny shows this AM.

Kate O'Connell FG TD (Dub Bay Sth) was on Pat Kenny with Sinead Ryan, personal finance columnist. Kate said she'd been getting a lot of correspondence on this (I sent her an email nearly 2 weeks ago and not even an automated response since). She said Coveney is to meet the waste companies next Wednesday.
    Kenny was very strong on the standing charges saying they were the real rip off. Kate mentioned those with kids in nappies and old people with continence pads, that they're bills will be high. But that this waste can't be recycled so what to do!
    Kenny wanted to know if any of the advisors to Coveney or Kelly have much cop on...setting a min charge but not even thinking of a max charge!

I could be jumping the gun here but I reckon this is the start of some change here...the commencement date of 1st July getting pushed out while all of this is reviewed? Otherwise the Govt is going to be hammered by the end of August at the latest with the bills flowing in and the fly tipping etc spreading.

Joe Duffy needs people to call in. 012083111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I've just emailed the locals TD's. Never felt the need to before but the hamfisted way they are allowing companies rip us all off overnight for no improvement in the service needs to be stopped in its tracks.

Miriam Lord in today's IT
    A warning klaxon went off in the Dáil for the Government yesterday.
    They didn’t hear it when it sounded over the water charges.
    Will they hear it this time?

I'm going to put my next on the block here and say that this new charging scheme is dead. It will be suspended pending 'review' and then silently pushed to the next Govt even if it means getting hit with fines by the EU.
    They don't want another Irish Water

Miriam Lord in today's IT

I'm going to put my next on the block here and say that this new charging scheme is dead. It will be suspended pending 'review' and then silently pushed to the next Govt even if it means getting hit with fines by the EU.
    They don't want another Irish Water

It mightn't be dead just yet, but once the end of July comes and people start seeing the costs that's when the uproar will start. Dail will be on holidays then though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

definitely think it will be "postponed implementation"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Just in from Greyhound

"Dear Customer,

With Pay by Weight beginning on July 1st we would like to help make the transition that little easier with a credit bonus offer.

For every €50 you top up by you will receive a bonus of 10%.
    This offer is available until June 30th 2016. It is unlimited, so the more you top up by, the more free credit you will receive.
    In order for the credit to be applied to your account please make sure to top by any of the exact amounts listed below:

€50 top up:
    €5 bonus €100 top up: €10 bonus €150 top up: €15 bonus €200 top up: €20 bonus
    The credit will be applied to your bin account by the 14th of July.

Over the coming weeks and months we will be coming out with some initiatives which we think will help keep costs down and help you recycle more (and save more).

Please click here for our ways to pay. Please note that our phones are exceptionally busy at the moment due to our customer's questions about Pay by Weight.

Kind regards,
    The Greyhound Household Team"

practice wrote: »
    Just in from Greyhound

"Dear Customer,

With Pay by Weight beginning on July 1st we would like to help make the transition that little easier with a credit bonus offer.

This offer is available until June 30th 2016. It is unlimited, so the more you top up by, the more free credit you will receive.
    In order for the credit to be applied to your account please make sure to top by any of the exact amounts listed below:

€50 top up:

Over the coming weeks and months we will be coming out with some initiatives which we think will help keep costs down and help you recycle more (and save more).

Please click here for our ways to pay. Please note that our phones are exceptionally busy at the moment due to our customer's questions about Pay by Weight.

Kind regards,

Was that an email ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Yes Sorry should have said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Got that email above too earlier on today

Didn't get one. Maybe because I emailed them to cancel last night.

Convey meeting with the providers tomorrow. Will wait to see what happens in the next couple of days.
    Have 7 days to cancel CB.

• Advertisement

I have still not received any information at all about the new charges from Greyhound. Spent ages on hold today but gave up. Can't believe they think they can treat customers like this, aside from taking advantage to hike up prices.

practice wrote: »
    Just in from Greyhound

"Dear Customer,

€50 top up:

Kind regards,

They can now tell the Minister next Wednesday that they have a bonus scheme to make it much better value for customers, Cynical attempt at protecting their profiteering.

Alan Kelly having his say on the whole thing...

Alan Kelly: 'I never envisaged the dramatic increase in bin charges'
    http://jrnl.ie/2828655

Never heard of such BS before!

Alan Kelly having his say on the whole thing...

Alan Kelly: 'I never envisaged the dramatic increase in bin charges'
    http://jrnl.ie/2828655

Never heard of such BS before!
    Everything he had a hand in has turned to rubbish!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Millem wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the red citybin company will be charging in South Dublin? Thanks
    MHP wrote: »
    €3 per week, 30c per kg black bin, 20c per kg brown bin, green bin free.
    https://www.citybin.com/signup/ - check your area

For SDCC
    option 1 is
    €2.25 per week + Black 39c/Kg , Brown 32c/kg, Green.
    option 2 is
    €139 Annual Fee + Black 30c/Kg , Brown 20 c/kg, Green.

So for 15kg a month
    Option 1 is €14.85 (4*2.25+ 15*0.39)
    Option 2 is €16.08 (139/12 + 15*0.3)

option 3 is starting to look better, if you've to drop off ewaste anyway
    http://www.sdcc.ie/services/recycling-waste/recycling-centres
    Black Car only €15.00
    Green Car only €8.00

• Advertisement
Advertisement