Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

onedmc wrote: »
    Paragraph by paragraph the translation is in pigeon English

Wow I just had a look, those translations are horrible. I did not see them because I used the German version.

And there is the following disclaimer:
    The following translation is provided for the customer’s convenience only. The original German text of the respective Terms and Conditions is binding in all respects. In the event of any divergence between the English and the German texts, constructions, meanings or interpretations, those of the German original shall govern exclusively.

So another dis-advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You don't need the code anymore, for a while it was needed while they were testing, now signup works without one.

Cheers, I more so thought it was a promo code for some free money or some other gift for opening the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Few questions, I need a joint bank account to pay bills/groceries, some of these bills are direct debits (Virgin Media, TV licence.....), My current Irish bank is charging me way too much and I am looking for a cheaper alternative, is this bank the best that I can find or is there another alternative? Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

alwald wrote: »
    Few questions, I need a joint bank account to pay bills/groceries, some of these bills are direct debits (Virgin Media, TV licence.....), My current Irish bank is charging me way too much and I am looking for a cheaper alternative, is this bank the best that I can find or is there another alternative? Thanks.

Permanent TSB offer free banking if you deposit €1500 into your account every month.

The €1500, doesn't need to stay in the account, it can be transferred back out straight afterwards.

alwald wrote: »

Not giving you financial advice but have you checked Permanent TSB or KBC which offer free accounts under certain conditions.

Number26 does not do joint accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Got my money into Number 26 this morning Yggr of Asgard from PTSB -see how you can add a note and photograph and easily do a reverse -i.e. send money in the opposite direction.

It's pure technology and good software in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just tried to verify & they don't accept the new passport card (which I believe may be illegal as it has all the same function as the regular book & is issued under the EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

bk wrote: »
    Permanent TSB offer free banking if you deposit €1500 into your account every month.

The €1500, doesn't need to stay in the account, it can be transferred back out straight afterwards.

and deposits include salary lodgements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

DrJFF wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble pairing their device? I did the video call no problems but when i go to pair my device its not sending me through a text message,

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Did you remember to drop the zero?

OU812 wrote: »
    Just tried to verify & they don't accept the new passport card (which I believe may be illegal as it has all the same function as the regular book & is issued under the EU).

Contact BaFin and log a complaint which will give you an official answer.

http://www.bafin.de/EN/Service/TopNavigation/Contact/contact_node.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

bk wrote: »
    Are you happy to take on a defamation case from this bank for claiming in public that they aren't a bank?

Will you also be happy to face a similar defamation case for also claiming KBC aren't a bank?

Completely ridiculous claims you are making, just go ask the Irish and German financial regulators and they will clarify it easily for you.

I'm not claiming or suggesting anything of the sort. I've merely pointed out that to the average punter, the product being talked about isn't a bank account in the sense they understand it. "In any meaningful sense" wad the phrasing I used. Everyone who takes issue with me seems to forget that. They've also forgotten all the people screaming on boards, newspapers, tv etc about withdrawing cash services, for whom bank account clearly equals dealing in cash.

And yet posters on here were telling a user who asked a question "would this be suitable for me" in the affirmative. As though they were qualified to give financial advice and were fully acquainted with the anonymous stranger's financial and legal affairs. Which is nonsense.

You and a few others seem to talk any perceived negative comment about this bank very personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

McGaggs wrote: »

Thanks I feel silly as I thought it might be that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Yesterday evening (around 8pm) I sent 1 euro from both my Irish AIB and Dutch ING.
    Both just received, Will sent 50 cent back to both of them to see how fast it goes

That are impressive transfer times. Let's see how the times are on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Do these crowd allows using the card for Gambling sites?

Revolut doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

DrJFF wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble pairing their device? I did the video call no problems but when i go to pair my device its not sending me through a text message,

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
    McGaggs wrote: »
    This happened me last night, dropped the zero and the text straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Asmooh wrote: »
    They will sent you the card by post so with a fake address you wont get the card

what if I use Parcel motel????

Now I have a banking facility with Parcel Motel as my address.

If they provide physical statements to this address, then I can now set up a passport / driving license using this as my home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You and a few others seem to talk any perceived negative comment about this bank very personally.

The tetchyness is due to a sensible discussion being hijacked by warnings that "It's not a bank" which turn out to be based on a personal preference for over the counter cash transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

daheff wrote: »

If they provide physical statements to this address, then I can now set up a passport / driving license using this as my home address.

Go on so. See what happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

what happens if theres issues or you need face to face contact?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

esforum wrote: »

If there are issues you can use their customer support. If you want face to face you'd have to go elsewhere. Why would you need face to face contact?

daheff wrote: »

So what is your concern about not needing to provide a proof or residence when applying for the card?

You can already change existing billing instruments to have a parcel motel address so that shipment can be made to the billing address if required.

You do what you would do with any financial services provider, call or send an e-mail.

https://number26.eu/support/how-can-i-get-support/

And if you need face to face contact for the operation of your account, than number26 might not be the right product for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

I've been with a pure internet bank (Skandiabanken) for the last 15 years (before landing in Ireland and needing a local account it was my sole bank). Still haven't managed to come up with even a potential scenario in which I'd need face-to-face contact).

Admittedly Skandiabanken is a full-feature bank with mortgages, car loans, credit cards, saving accounts, overdrafts, international payments, (the equivalent of) standing orders and direct debits, etc.

Most things are fully self-service, e.g. creating new accounts, closing accounts, ordering new cards in anybody's name (hence joint acct is no problem), applying for loans/overdrafts. Very little manual work needed on the bank's side. Just an excellent example of what can be done.

Even 15 years ago it was miles and miles ahead of anything I've seen or heard of in Ireland. Doubt anything even close to it will appear here in my lifetime.

This new German offering is therefore very exciting, even though it's still got a long way to go. I certainly couldn't care less about access to a physical building.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Is there any provision for lodging cash/chequers/drafts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Is there any provision for lodging cash/chequers/drafts?
    Is it possible to cash a cheque with NUMBER26?

Currently we do not offer a way to cash a cheque to your NUMBER26 account. However, if the customer demand for cashing cheques increases, we will reevaluate this.

https://number26.eu/support/possible-cash-cheque-number26/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I've an AIB student account and as such have no fees but also no NFC so I'm signing up for that reason alone.

Oh and another Netflix trial!:pac:

Cheers OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

onedmc wrote: »

Paragraph by paragraph the translation is in pigeon English

Pidgin? If you're going to engage in language pedantry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

mackerski wrote: »
    Pidgin? If you're going to engage in language pedantry...

Thanks for the correction but I dont think my concern is particularly pedantic. I was just pointing out that we MUST read and UNDERSTAND before signing anything. I wonder if this bank are "treating me fairly" if they expect me to learn German

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement