Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

van_beano wrote: »
    I wonder will the likes of Ballymount dump still takes the recycleables for free?

hmm good point,I presume you mean the old electricals,oil etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

wiz569 wrote: »
    hmm good point,I presume you mean the old electricals,oil etc

They take cardboard, plastics etc for free at the moment, they could end up charging a nominal fee per car load.

Will that waste incinerator ever be built? They'll be crying out for waste to meet quotas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Will the Bin companies be obliged to report you to the council if they see you are not presenting the required bins, and the council will enquire as to what you are doing to dispose of your rubbish.

Companies: no.

Council: possibly

You're going to have to pay any bin firm out there a standing charge of some description even without every putting out a bin and if you're not paying anyone you're going to have to explain yourself.
    Will that waste incinerator ever be built? They'll be crying out for waste to meet quotas.

One is operational in Duleek and has been for many years. The Poolbeg one is under construction.

Nothing is happening to encourage people to put more stuff in their black bins (despite the costly strops being thrown here) so its going to have no impact on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

They take cardboard, plastics etc for free at the moment, they could end up charging a nominal fee per car load.

Never realised that tbh,yes I bet they will charge for it,but as has been mentioned by another poster,they may end up losing money on their sell on of recyclables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've taken to weighing my 140L black bin before putting it out - as I got hit with a 40kg lift in December which I believe to be grossly incorrect but no way to prove otherwise. So this months' lift was 19.5kg and that was about 6 kgs more than I had calculated taking into account the weight of the empty bin. While it's early days I suspect I won't be surprised if I see more of this - and if it goes full pay per weight - we're literally going to have to watch them like a hawk because they're going to fleece us :(

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

dazberry wrote: »
    I've taken to weighing my 140L black bin before putting it out - as I got hit with a 40kg lift in December which I believe to be grossly incorrect but no way to prove otherwise. So this months' lift was 19.5kg and that was about 6 kgs more than I had calculated taking into account the weight of the empty bin. While it's early days I suspect I won't be surprised if I see more of this - and if it goes full pay per weight - we're literally going to have to watch them like a hawk because they're going to fleece us :(

D.

My half full small brown bin weighed in at 33Kg which is 20kg more than normal,rang and told they dont make mistakes even though this was twice as heavy as any brown bin i had ever put out and only half full.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ninty wrote: »
    My half full small brown bin weighed in at 33Kg which is 20kg more than normal,rang and told they dont make mistakes even though this was twice as heavy as any brown bin i had ever put out and only half full.

Contact the NSAI. Nobody doesn't make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭droidman123

One way or another they are getting no more money out of me.

One way or another they are getting no more money out of me.

Unless you put a huge amount in to your black bin and never recycle or compost anything, they aren't going to anyway.

People are being reactionary without doing any research, but that seems to have become the Irish way of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless you put a huge amount in to your black bin and never recycle or compost anything, they aren't going to anyway.
    People are being reactionary without doing any research, but that seems to have become the Irish way of late.

A government minister that signs this into law as an EU regulation should also consider what national legislation would be needed to combat anticipated dumping, or ripoffs from bin companies not weighing bins correctly... A government who thought they could sell this to the people would not have kicked its implementation to touch post election date, in a shameless display of political cowardice and sleeveenism. So I have zero expectation of competence from the minister which signed this into law.
    The reason why people are reactionary to any change here is because the government never anticipates the likely knock on impacts on ordinary citizens, meaning we're in for months or years of hassle before they do something about them. We've seen it so many times before, we know what to expect.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Will you please explain to me what I'm missing out on and why you consider it reactionary.

I'm currently paying zero euro's for my recycle bin to be collected. This new regulation will see me paying x amount per kilo for my recycle bin to be lifted. My reaction is "I'm going to have to pay to have my recycleables taken away, this is a new charge and I'm going to be slightly poorer for it".

What more research do I need to do?

Will you please explain to me what I'm missing out on and why you consider it reactionary.

I'm currently paying zero euro's for my recycle bin to be collected. This new regulation will see me paying x amount per kilo for my recycle bin to be lifted. My reaction is "I'm going to have to pay to have my recycleables taken away, this is a new charge and I'm going to be slightly poorer for it".

What more research do I need to do?

You are going to be paying less for the black bin, as currently the black bin subsidises the recycling. They do not sell the recycling for anywhere near the cost of collecting and sorting.

You would have to have an extremely unusual waste profile to end up spending more. That doesn't make headlines though, so the media run with the edge cases.

You are going to be paying less for the black bin, as currently the black bin subsidises the recycling. They do not sell the recycling for anywhere near the cost of collecting and sorting.

You would have to have an extremely unusual waste profile to end up spending more. That doesn't make headlines though, so the media run with the edge cases.

Thanks for the information. I don't understand why the media can't give the full facts though other than wanting headlines to sell papers or click-bait online.

Currently I'm paying 20 cent per kilo for the black bin, if that was reduced to 15 cent for black bin and 5 cent per green then, as you previously stated, nobody is any worse off.

Unfortunately, we're at the mercy of the bin companies and what they're interpretation of the legislation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

This is what I have seen in terms of pricing per the rules/guidelines:

Residual household kerbside waste: 11 cent per kilogramme
    Food waste and, as the case may be, bio-waste: 6 cent per kilogramme
    Recyclable household kerbside waste: 2 cent per kilogramme

Those are minimum prices so the Waste companies probably will charge more

Just looked back at my lift history for 2015 (no weights for green bins available unfortunately)

Black Bin
    600kg of waste over 24 lifts. At min rate above = €66

Brown Bin
    332kg of waste over 22 lifts. At min rate above = €€37

My bill last year for unlimited lifts was €175.

So it's hard to see how this change will save me any money. I reckon it will come in at about break even (assuming no standing charge which may be naive on my part) though with an extra baby in the house this year, that means more nappies in the black bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

jay0109 wrote: »
    Just looked back at my lift history for 2015 (no weights for green bins available unfortunately)

Black Bin
    600kg of waste over 24 lifts. At min rate above = €66

Brown Bin
    332kg of waste over 22 lifts. At min rate above = €€37

My bill last year for unlimited lifts was €175.

So it's hard to see how this change will save me any money. I reckon it will come in at about break even (assuming no standing charge which may be naive on my part) though with an extra baby in the house this year, that means more nappies in the black bin!
    How did you come to estimate that it should break even going by those figures? I'd nearly guarantee that there will be a service charge on top of the charge per kg, in the company I work for there has been a service charge as well as a pay per lift option for at least 6 years.

I did mention the service charge of which none of us have a clue how it will play out.

Lets say it's 50% of my current rate so that would be €100 this year.
    Add in the green bins and I will we worse off for sure.

So it all depends really on the standing charge and how far off the minimum rates the Waste companies will charge.

I heard a guy from the Waste Industry on the radio debating this earlier today. He said that 'without doubt' people will 'absolutely' be paying less for their waste under this scheme.
    I had a little chuckle to myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

If most people were going to be better off as a result of this change, wouldn't it have been brought in before the election rather than being delayed until months after it?

The government is setting minimum pricing. I.e. all waste must be charged by weight, at no less than €X per kg. The intent is to reduce choice, not reduce price.

If you currently pay by lift or by flat fee, you'll be forced onto a pay-by-weight scheme, which may end up being better or worse for you. But the waste companies will need to maintain their revenues. If anything, overall charges may increase somewhat initially, before settling back after the impacts of the changes can be analysed.

(all just my opinion, obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

So no haggling with greyhound then,take it or leave it seems to be order of day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Greyhound will still charge I would imagine based on size of family. So for example the person living on their own will pay a higher price per kilo to the family of four.

The price per kilo in Ballsbridge will be dearer than the price per kilo in Clondalkin etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I wonder what Panda,s policy is on annual charges, pay per lift etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

horse7 wrote: »
    I wonder what Panda,s policy is on annual charges, pay per lift etc.

Won't matter by July.

True,but I've paid for the year to include green and brown bin free.

Your renewal letter will inevitably have told you that things were changing in July. This will have been sufficient notice, even if you didn't notice it.

You aren't going to be able to hold Panda to a contract that would have them breaking the law.

Greyhound sent me a renewal e-mail and wanted €199 for the year -no mention about July and misleading me that I would be covered for the year. I e-mailed them a few times and they have never once replied.

I currently don't have any bin service and I'm relying on the genorsity of family members to dispose of my waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Oxigen has told its customers that if any of them have paid up beyond 1st July that their accounts will be credited with any over payment, so they have themselves covered.

Your renewal letter will inevitably have told you that things were changing in July. This will have been sufficient notice, even if you didn't notice it.

You aren't going to be able to hold Panda to a contract that would have them breaking the law.

Afraid not see as sent.Message from your Customer Care Team

Dear Customer,

Please find attached your Panda invoice (PDF Format).

If you are unable to open the attached invoice, please click here to download Adobe Reader and follow the instructions.

If having done this you are still unable to open the attached invoice, please contact us on the Lo Call number above.

Thank you for doing your part in protecting the environment by accepting this invoice by email. Should you no longer wish to receive your invoices by email, please contact us and we will ensure that you no longer receive your invoice via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Afraid not see as sent.Message from your Customer Care Team

Dear Customer,

Please find attached your Panda invoice (PDF Format).

If you are unable to open the attached invoice, please click here to download Adobe Reader and follow the instructions.

If having done this you are still unable to open the attached invoice, please contact us on the Lo Call number above.

Thank you for doing your part in protecting the environment by accepting this invoice by email. Should you no longer wish to receive your invoices by email, please contact us and we will ensure that you no longer receive your invoice via email.

Did you check the small print on the invoice ?

• Advertisement

Anybody recently signed up to Greyhound for the first time? I would imagine all new customer's are weight only as this is coming in the next few months. But then again it is Greyhound that we are talking about.

Advertisement