Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gave up caffeine - dehydration!

• 28-08-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Bit of an odd one to me.

Caffeine is a diuretic and dehydrates you, right?

I was drinking 4 coffees and up to 6 red bulls (sugar free) each day. I have given up caffeine since Sunday, no withdrawals thankfully. I would have also had 2l of water a day along with all of the caffeine.

Since giving up caffeine, I'm really dehydrated and constantly thirsty. I'm drinking 5L of water, and have to actually stop myself drinking more, and my skin/lips are extremely dry. I don't have diabetes, just to confirm.

Is this common when giving up caffeine?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Everybody has different withdrawal symptoms to different things. I'd cut back on the 5 liters though, that's a on the unhealthy side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

As the cranberries famously sang

ITS IN YOUR HEEEEEEAD, IN YOUR HEEEEEEEYYYYYEEEEEYYAAAYYAED

Yup. The cravings are indeed, in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

As the cranberries famously sang

ITS IN YOUR HEEEEEEAD, IN YOUR HEEEEEEEYYYYYEEEEEYYAAAYYAED

Yup. The cravings are indeed, in your head.

Cravings? I'm not craving caffeine. All I want to drink is water, and lots of it.

It's the chapped lips/skin and dehydration that's annoying me.

Everybody has different withdrawal symptoms to different things. I'd cut back on the 5 liters though, that's a on the unhealthy side.

I've been cutting back even at 5L, I'm just constantly thirsty. I presume that's some kind of withdrawal so it doesn't worry me, it's the fact that I'm taking in so much water and am dehydrated that's confusing me :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bottled or tap water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Bit of an odd one to me.

I was drinking 4 coffees and up to 6 red bulls (sugar free) each day. I have given up caffeine since Sunday, no withdrawals thankfully. I would have also had 2l of water a day along with all of the caffeine.

Since giving up caffeine, I'm really dehydrated and constantly thirsty. I'm drinking 5L of water, and have to actually stop myself drinking more, and my skin/lips are extremely dry. I don't have diabetes, just to confirm.

Is this common when giving up caffeine?!

In terms of hydration in doesn't matter what the liquid is, so your body wants some liquid to replace the 4 coffees and up to 6 red bull it was used to having every day.

4 coffee s is over a 1L of liquid and 6 red bull about the same.

Your total liquid intake is about the same. 5L is an awful lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chatterbox

Have you had this thirst pre
    drinking coffee and red bull??
    ... Also I'm not a doctor before reading the my below post ,

My son has a very rare condition called diabetes insipisus (not related to normal diabetes) that would involve a constant thirst and the need for large volumes of fluid. Some diuretics have been known to reduce t the volume required. You basically pee out all you drink and the body doesn't retain any water.

If the need for 5 litres plus continues I would go to a doctor to be on the safe side, as late diagnosis is common. Your sodium levels maybe a little off.

You're symptoms may not be related to this at all, but I said I would point it out to be on the safe side. li is that not be Tejas related at all but I said I would point it out in case the

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chatterbox

Apologies about the last paragraph of my previous post.... It made very little sense.. Very hard to post long messages from the boards android app.

Hanley wrote: »
    Bottled or tap water?

Bottled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bluewolf wrote: »
    afaik if you drink too much water you will dehydrate yourself

This doesn't make any sense to me. If you drink too much water you experience Hyponatremia where your salt level balance is way out and can be fatal. How can drinking too much water dehydrate you?

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This doesn't make any sense to me. If you drink too much water you experience Hyponatremia where your salt level balance is way out and can be fatal. How can drinking too much water dehydrate you?

Uh ... got confused
    I think you're right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Try squeezing a lemon into the water you drink. It will help with your electrolyte levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    When your sodium levels are flushed out like that you struggle to retain the water you drink. So it's doesn't rehydrate you too well. That's why rehydration solution is a mix of water, salt and sugar.

Mellor wrote: »
    When your sodium levels are flushed out like that you struggle to retain the water you drink. So it's doesn't rehydrate you too well. That's why rehydration solution is a mix of water, salt and sugar.

Hmm, that would make sense because I'm peeing 15+ times a say :o so, stick some salt and sugar into my water and cut the fcuk down?

Hmm, that would make sense because I'm peeing 15+ times a say :o so, stick some salt and sugar into my water and cut the fcuk down?
    A spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt in some water. After that cut back on the water a bit, and up your sodium intake for a while. Salt your food a little, no need to go crazy.

A spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt in some water. After that cut back on the water a bit, and up your sodium intake for a while. Salt your food a little, no need to go crazy.

Thanks, much appreciated :)

Smart bunch on here :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Were you having sugar in your coffees? Maybe have an odd glass of 7up, rather than pure water. A pharmacist once told me that it has the perfect balance of something or others to rehydrate you. Better than water for rehydration. Not the Diet 7up though, obviously.

Export wrote: »
    Were you having sugar in your coffees? Maybe have an odd glass of 7up, rather than pure coffee. A pharmacist once told me that it has the perfect balance of something or others to rehydrate you. Better than water for rehydration. Not the Diet 7up though, obviously.

No, just black coffee or sometimes with a dash of soy milk.

Thanks, I'll give that a bash, even though I try to avoid sugar :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Ye, maybe just try it out for a week or so, to see does your body return to normal. If not, I would go to the doctor though, just to be sure.

Export wrote: »
    Ye, maybe just try it out for a week or so, to see does your body return to normal. If not, I would go to the doctor though, just to be sure.

No harm, I'm due in with the gp in 3 weeks anyway. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was drinking 4 coffees and up to 6 red bulls (sugar free) each day.
    Caffeine has a diuretic effect, but normal coffee is meant to have a hydrating effect overall. Its not like drinking loads of high% alcohol which can properly dehydrate you. It would be more similar to drinking very low % beer which at some point will hydrate you more than the diuretic effect dehydrates you.

I find I do pee a lot after drinking coffee, but I think its the frequency that increases, can't seem to hold as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

5 litres of water is a lot in a day?
    I'd drink 6 on a standard day... Is that considered too much?

colman1212 wrote: »
    5 litres of water is a lot in a day?
    I'd drink 6 on a standard day... Is that considered too much?
    Depends on a number of factors. Climate, work, training.
    Working on site in summer in Oz and you get through a lot more fluids than an office job in ireland in winter.

Also, people often over estimate their intake. I would have said I drink 4 litres a day - but I recently had to drink an accurate increased amounts over a week and it was a real struggle through get 8 and 6 litres days. So much so that there was no way I was casually doing 4 litres.

Depends on a number of factors. Climate, work, training.
    Working on site in summer in Oz and you get through a lot more fluids than an office job in ireland in winter.

Also, people often over estimate their intake. I would have said I drink 4 litres a day - but I recently had to drink an accurate increased amounts over a week and it was a real struggle through get 8 and 6 litres days. So much so that there was no way I was casually doing 4 litres.

The only reason I know how much I'm drinking is because it's all from bottles :pac:

Oh, meant to add - I couldn't bring myself to drink 7up (hate the stuff), but I've cut down on the water and have been drinking one isotonic drink each day, and my skin and lips are no longer dried out and I'm not dehydrated anymore :) constantly thirsty, but I can manage that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Oh, meant to add - I couldn't bring myself to drink 7up (hate the stuff), but I've cut down on the water and have been drinking one isotonic drink each day, and my skin and lips are no longer dried out and I'm not dehydrated anymore :) constantly thirsty, but I can manage that :)

I'd grab a pack of dioralyte in the chemist then. You will replace your salt and minerals level really quickly.

I'd grab a pack of dioralyte in the chemist then. You will replace your salt and minerals level really quickly.

I'll grab one on my break in work, can't do any harm :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This! I was literally just about to post this. Make sure you use the correct volumes with it, otherwise you will throw your electrolyte levels all over the place.

Another recommendation is perhaps try warm water instead. Your body will retain it a lot better. If the taste isint to your standard, as mentioned already, throw in a dash of lemon juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'll grab one on my break in work, can't do any harm :)

Get the citrus flavour. Most bearable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Get the citrus flavour. Most bearable.

And definitely don't get the blackcurrant flavour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Definitely need to give up caffeine..

antodeco wrote: »
    Make sure you use the correct volumes with it, otherwise you will throw your electrolyte levels all over the place.
    No you won't.

Adding a bit more water won't affect the electrolyte content.
    It's no different to drinking it as normal, followed by some water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'd recommend the Zero electrolyte tablets on Wiggle.ie

I use them around training but sounds like it could be what you need.

Taste a lot better than the dreaded Dioralytes

Had dioralyte on my break (the blackcurrant one, it was all the chemist had) and it wasn't all that bad. I managed to drink it, so that's something :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lo-lo salt contains sodium chloride (table salt) and potassium chloride, both which are usually found in overpriced commercial electrolyte mixtures.

You can make up a strong solution and drink a shot of it, and wash it down immediately afterwards with some dilutable orange or diluted fruit juice, sort of like a tequila shot. Or just mix it in with the drink. As this is in solution it should go to work a bit faster than if you took a capsule.

I do this with bread soda the morning after drinking, the sodium bicarbonate neutralises acid in the stomach and then turns to sodium chloride, which then makes you rehydrate better. Bread soda tastes horrible so do the washing down afterwards trick if trying it.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Lo-lo salt contains sodium chloride (table salt) and potassium chloride, both which are usually found in overpriced commercial electrolyte mixtures.

You can make up a strong solution and drink a shot of it, and wash it down immediately afterwards with some dilutable orange or diluted fruit juice, sort of like a tequila shot.
    You are right in that Lo-Lo contains two of the salts commonly found in rehydration solutions (the third being sodium citrate), but the ratios are way off, its too low in sodium. If you had some Lo-Lo handy, combining it with table salt in a 1:2 ratio (LoLo:Salt) would get pretty close to guidline amounts. But Salt alone is fine though - and preferable to Lo-Lo on its own imo.

Don't forget the sugar too.

This is the mix I used recently for rehydrating a missing 5kg recently. Comes from WHO recommendation for homemade ORS.
    6 teaspoon sugar : 0.5 teaspoons salt : 1 litre water

Advertisement