Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to weights

Options
  • 26-08-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'm 30, 6ft, 165lbs and want to start weight training for the first time to add a few lbs of muscle and to get stronger overall. I have always been fairly athletic in terms of running, cycling, swimming, but have little strength.

I joined my local gym and just got the free tour and 'programme' from a trainer there.

He set me out a plan of 3 routines to perform per week.

A = Chest & Arms
    B = Back & Triceps
    C = Legs & Core

He also told me to tag on ab exercises to the end of each day.
    I won't get into all the specifics but all exercises consist of 3 x 8/12 reps on weights machines. The only non-machine exercises are some hammer curls and sit-ups.

Considering my goals, should I just get stuck into this and work as hard as I can (and increase my dietary intake of course) or should I ditch this plan and get someone to show me how to start something like Starting Strength? To be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety of machines and weights so should I spend a while doing this before moving onto free-weights? Just want to start on best path.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would stay clear of machines if your playing sports could set u up for injury. I would do Squats,Deadlifts & Bench. Ask your trainer to teach you the form for these exercises if they haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

as above squat, bench, deadlift, press, row, pullup, pressup
    no machines, get the instructor to show you how to do these
    then as you have said; do starting strength its a starting program no need to do anything before
    and eat all the food

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah def try and get him to show you all the exercises from the starting strength program (even if you're not going to follow that plan).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

sounds like you just got the cookie cutter deal. do a little research and go in and tell him exactly what you want rather than just do the generic routines.

places to start looking: starting strength, stronglifts, ice cream fitness. all beginner programs all easy to learn and all have plenty of articles written about them. pick your favourite and ask the trainer to show you the routine.

but you may need to do other work before you are ready to begin, depending on your mobility etc but if you're relatively active already that should be minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dont doubt the building power of full range chin ups and pull ups

they build great size and strength in arms / shoulders back lats

along with bench , row , squat , dead, overhead press, maybe some dips , is all you need for a year or two .

i wouldnt do abs, they will work your abs well.
    nor biceps , pull ups and rows will cover them .

stay away from machines for a long time , you dont need them , bar and dumbs is all you need ,

only machines i use ( for variation ) is leg press , and calf raise , as a change from squat rack SOME times.

first you learn the moves , with just the bar , then
    you will need to get strong before putting on muscle , ( higher weight , few reps such as 5 by 5 )
    so when you begin you will harden up and lean out a bit , but not get much bigger just alot stronger.

once you get a nice bit stronger you can train to build ( lower weight, more reps and alot more sets ) << this is the more fun stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement