Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candito 6 Week Strength Programme

Options
  • 29-08-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Does anyone have any opinions on the Candito 6 Week Strength Programme or has anyone tried it previously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Check this thread. First few posts are on 5x5, but then it switches to Candito.

Currently half way through week 4 and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've changed a few things about it, though:

1) I've turned some of the top sets for the main lifts (squat, bench and deadlift) into + sets. So if the programme calls for something like 137.5 x3, 140 x3 and 142.5 x3, I'll go beyond 3 reps on the 142.5 set if I feel I'm able to, but won't go to failure (i.e. I'll stop with a rep to spare). This can be pretty satisfying if you end up getting 5 or 6 reps when you were only programmed to hit 3.

2) If you choose weighted pull-ups as an upper accessory lift, the rep scheme is a little silly in certain weeks. It calls for reps of 12, for instance. I can do about 15 unweighted pull-ups, which is probably about average, so to get 12 reps weighted I've have to be adding only 2.5kg or 5kg. Seems a bit pointless. Maybe it's not... but if I'm doing weighted pull-ups I'll be damned if I'm adding only 2.5kg to a dip belt! Because of this I substituted in my own progression for weighted pull-ups.

It can also take a little bit of trial and error to find the right weights for additional lifts such as the overhead press (where in certain weeks you've to do 12, 12, 10, 8 reps, and in others you've to do 6,6,6 for example) and barbell rows and so on. As someone who's always done low reps for lifts like the OHP (never going beyond 5) it was tricky to find the right weight to hit 12 or 10 reps. If you're like me it might be worth taking a week before starting the programme to feel out the right numbers.

All in all it's a great programme, it's simple and it seems to be working very well. (The first few weeks are in my log here if you want to take a look.)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gvn wrote: »
    It can also take a little bit of trial and error to find the right weights for additional lifts such as the overhead press (where in certain weeks you've to do 12, 12, 10, 8 reps, and in others you've to do 6,6,6 for example) and barbell rows and so on. As someone who's always done low reps for lifts like the OHP (never going beyond 5) it was tricky to find the right weight to hit 12 or 10 reps. If you're like me it might be worth taking a week before starting the programme to feel out the right numbers.
    A 1RM/Reps calculator might be handy for guessing out the load for those

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

gvn wrote: »

I found 1rm calculators handy for this as I had similar jumps in rep ranges on my last program.

e.g you know you can just about do 8 reps at 45kg, this mean your 1rm is ~56kg

Now you need to do 5 reps, so you look at the scale and it says that you should be able to manage 5 reps at 86% of your 1rm. So you do 56 * 0.86 = 48.16kg. Round up if your feeling strong, round down if your feeling weak!

I know its not going to be 100% accurate but its pretty good and better than guesswork and failed reps

exrx 1rm calc

Mellor wrote: »
    A 1RM/Reps calculator might be handy for guessing out the load for those
    conzy wrote: »
    I found 1rm calculators handy for this as I had similar jumps in rep ranges on my last program.

Now you need to do 5 reps, so you look at the scale and it says that you should be able to manage 5 reps at 86% of your 1rm. So you do 56 * 0.86 = 48.16kg. Round up if your feeling strong, round down if your feeling weak!

I know its not going to be 100% accurate but its pretty good and better than guesswork and failed reps

exrx 1rm calc

Ah yes... That would have made sense and saved a hell of a lot of bollocksing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

conzy wrote: »

exrx 1rm calc

This.

Before I started the program I'm on, I used a 1RM calculator to suss out the kind of weight I should be doing 8/10/15 reps for at an exercise I hadn't done more than 5 for in a long time. Takes a bit of manipulation if you've specified (short) rests.

But that just means a high-octane training + physics/maths/chemistry montage.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

In the excel, week 5 is the only week where it says to do optional lower lifts, I take it though that on lower level days you do lower level optional exercises?

RKMG wrote: »
    In the excel, week 5 is the only week where it says to do optional lower lifts, I take it though that on lower level days you do lower level optional exercises?

Are you sure you've the proper excel? In my spreadsheet weeks 1, 2, 4, and 5 have optional lower included. Week 3 is the only exception. After the main lifts, there are two Optional Lower Body rows included.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Excellent program. The high instensity weeks feel pretty easy after doing the high volume the first two weeks.
    I like to start conservatively as my aim is to hit a new 5RM in the 5th week so i don't follow it to a tee. For e.g(I was in track to do 155kg 1-4. But done 152.5kg x5 instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anyone that's doing this, what kind of rest periods do you take in between sets?

I had a read through the PDF for this and it recommends anywhere from 3-8 minutes. I used to take 1 minute but it just wasn't enough on the high volume weeks and I'd be gassed on the second set after 3-4 reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Can anyone tell me why on week 2 of the program, it says Deadlift Variation on the excel sheet but it doesnt say what weight to use? It doesnt say anything about this on the PDF document.

It's an accessory exercise so the weight is a weight of your choosing. Pick what you can do for the sets and reps that you can where you're close enough to failure at the end but not close enough that your form is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

It's an accessory exercise so the weight is a weight of your choosing. Pick what you can do for the sets and reps that you can where you're close enough to failure at the end but not close enough that your form is poor.

Ok thank you, I assumed DL was always a core exercise. Also on the upper body days, there seems to be a glitch on the excel sheet, for my 3 accessories, I have Dumbbell row, OHP and Lat pulldown. I didnt see an option for Biceps. Are DR and Lat PD not in the same category?

Feenix wrote: »
    Ok thank you, I assumed DL was always a core exercise. Also on the upper body days, there seems to be a glitch on the excel sheet, for my 3 accessories, I have Dumbbell row, OHP and Lat pulldown. I didnt see an option for Biceps. Are DR and Lat PD not in the same category?

DL is a core exercise. The variations would usually be something like SLDL. RDL, snatch-grip DL or deficit DL. They're not core lifts so you're don't have a 1RM to base what you do on because you wouldn't be going for a 1RM with them/

The 3 optional upper body exercises should cover back, shoulders and biceps so there should be a bicep option

And yeah, both DR and LPD are supposed to be back exercises so there's something amiss there.

Advertisement