Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting bored in the Gym, now training for an obstacle race

Options
  • 03-09-2014 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

Starting next Monday it will be 10 weeks to the Fenway Spartan Sprint in Boston. Here is somebody doing the same race with a GoPro 2 years ago:

Basically it’s a little over a 5k with 20 obstacles in the middle.

I’ve been going to the gym for the last 18 months, basically doing weight training 3-5 days a week. It’s been great from me because I went from being skinny to bulking up almost 20lbs. After 18 or so months my routine has become a bit mundane and I feel I’m just going through the motions at this point, add to that my diet is not great anymore…so I’m getting lazy. So I decided to sign up for the Fenway Spartan Sprint to give myself a kick up the arse. Honestly I don’t think the race will be that bad but I’m trying to put myself back into a train hard/eat right mindset.

I’m not too worried about this race if I do some proper training over the next 10 weeks, so I’m hoping you guys can help suggest a program for me. My weak points would be the fact that my stamina would probably be a little lacking as I rarely do cardio (I occasionally do 15mins on the bike to finish my gym sessions). Big confession here, I’ve actually never been on a treadmill in my life or have I ever done any significant road running (as in, I can’t remember the last time I ran for more than a couple of seconds other than catching a bus). I do have a minor knee issue where even on the bike I get pains in my knees from over repetition so that’s why I have avoided running on hard surfaces too often.
    Another weak point is wrist/forearm/grip strength. I have skinny arms so I get pains in my wrists from time to time when I’m lifting weights. I have added a lot more of farmers walks into my routine but I think I’m still a long way off.
    Some of the obstacles I’m weary of are:

The Rope Climb - I've never climbed a rope before in my life and my gym doesn't have a rope
    Wall Climbing – Never done that before but I plan on hitting a rock climbing center a couple of times over the next 10 weeks.

I couldn’t find any programs for obstacle races on Boards so I’m hoping you guys can come up with some program suggestions for 10 weeks out. I presume a program with a mix of Grip and pull ups strength training with some cardio would be appropriate. Or just do cross-fit? I plan on training 4/5 days a week for the next 10 weeks.

Any ideas?

Advertisement