Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ON Recovery 2:1:1 - Discontinued?

Options
  • 29-08-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been using Optimum Nutrition's Recovery 2:1:1 for a while now, went to buy a new tub and a lot of suppliers are out of stock. One of them said the product is discontinued by ON? Anyone else hear of that?

Can anyone recommend a good alternative if true? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Recovery XS or Recovery Evo from MyProtein will do much thesame thing. It's just a 2:1 mix ofcarbs and protein with assorted extras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

.ak wrote: »
    I've been using Optimum Nutrition's Recovery 2:1:1 for a while now, went to buy a new tub and a lot of suppliers are out of stock. One of them said the product is discontinued by ON? Anyone else hear of that?

Can anyone recommend a good alternative if true? Cheers.

They discontinued this some time ago,was a crap seller.

Its nothing too special other recovery products are just as effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Recovery XS or Recovery Evo from MyProtein will do much thesame thing. It's just a 2:1 mix ofcarbs and protein with assorted extras

Will check them out.

Surprised it was a crap seller, the fact it uses waxy maize is why I like it, absorbs very quickly.

Will check them out.

Surprised it was a crap seller, the fact it uses waxy maize is why I like it, absorbs very quickly.

What are you comparing it to though ?

And what did you find was better about it?

A lot of these products play up certain elements that make little difference to the majority of gym goers.

Actually I just read a lot of good things about using waxy maize starch as a quick release carb as it has other properties that allows quick absorption of other supplements such as creatine and taurine. So if you're stacking this post work out they essentially help get into your blood quicker.

Could be BS, though I read that on an independent blog and not some ON supported website.

I've only tried the ON as a recovery drink (before that I was just eating a bananna and having a half a whey shake post work out), so obviously I have nothing to compare it too. Got another tub of the ON stuff, but will try something else next time if it's discontinued and see how I get on.

• Advertisement

I would just question how much quicker though and whether it ultimately makes any difference to the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Actually I just read a lot of good things about using waxy maize starch as a quick release carb as it has other properties that allows quick absorption of other supplements such as creatine and taurine. So if you're stacking this post work out they essentially help get into your blood quicker.

You can buy waxy maize starch on its own from the likes of MyProtein. It would be pretty easy to replicate the 2-1-1 recipe. Probably a lot cheaper too.

They claim that it's a ratio of "2 glucose : 1 fructose : 1 sucrose"
    But the ingredients list them in order of Fructose, Sucrose, Waxy Maize Starch - maybe that's alphabetical though. The nutrition would suggest about 50% starches. Sucrose is table sugar.

Bare in my mind, the claims regarding WMS are disputed. You might be just as well off with dextrose for fast acting carbs. Also freely availible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Maltodextrin + Whey pwo. 4lb tubs used to be 20 dollars off iherb inc shipping.

Or just glucose powder. Or a coke.

Think claims for WMS proved spurious in recent years.

I would just question how much quicker though and whether it ultimately makes any difference to the majority.

True. I suppose it's hard to know/tell. I did notice if I took a double scoop of it post work out I found it much easier to manage my cycle commute afterwards immediately. But that could be the same with any recovery formula as I haven't tried anything else out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

True. I suppose it's hard to know/tell. I did notice if I took a double scoop of it post work out I found it much easier to manage my cycle commute afterwards immediately. But that could be the same with any recovery formula as I haven't tried anything else out yet.
    That could be as much down to calories rather than recovery properties.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    That could be as much down to calories rather than recovery properties.

Absolutely. Although I do find things take longer to digest, if you will.

i.e; a bit of brown bread with organic peanut butter before a match keeps me going longer, but I don't get the same spurt of energy I'd get from a recovery shake.

Advertisement